[comp.sys.amiga] pbmplus on abcfd20 TOO LARGE!!!

gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (11/17/90)

I've been trying to get the pbmplus utilities off of abcfd20, but the
thing is over 900K!!!  THIS DOES NOT FIT ON AN 800/720K DISKETTE!!!

I tried to to uuencode it and break it across 2 disks, but UUJoin kept
choking on every option on it (saying "Premature EOF in file"), and I
don't have basic anymore to use uudecode.bas.

Can *SOMEBODY* break up pbmplus so that it could fit on 2 diskettes,
and re-submit it to abcfd20.  It would be IMPOSSIBLE to download it
at 2400 baud, especially at toll call rates.

I'm not really trying to flame anybody (especially Tad Guy!!!), but for
people who put stuff on archive sites, please have consideration for
people who use diskettes as their means of file transportation.  It
makes things a lot easier!

Thanks in advance.

   Robert Gutierrez
   NASA Science Internet Network Operations.

gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) in
<1990Nov17.033236.7805@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

	I've been trying to get the pbmplus utilities off of abcfd20, but the
	thing is over 900K!!!  THIS DOES NOT FIT ON AN 800/720K DISKETTE!!!

I don't want to sound callous, but if you cannot handle a 900K archive file,
how do you expect to process some of the 1MB+ pictures?  Some that I process
are 1024x1024x8 (1MB) and larger ones are possible.

If you ftp'd the file (or used the Bitnet server), from what machine did you
initiate the request?  If it was a UNIX box you used, you should be able to
break up the archive file there for transfer to your Amiga.

The copy of pbmplus I snarfed from ftp.ee.lbl.gov (the original by Jef
Poskanzer) is quite a bit smaller per:

	CLI6> ls -l sys5:pbmplus
	----ar-e- 89-12-05 02:49:51  551   278222 pbmplus.tar.Z
	Dirs:0    Files:1    Blocks:551   Bytes:278222

so I will admit you have a valid gripe unless the one at adcdf20.larc.nasa.gov
includes executables and wasn't compressed (e.g. archived) properly.

And though I realize the following statement won't endear me to those who are
on a budget, it's my firm belief that the lack of a hard disk for the Amiga
when it was introduced in 1985 didn't help matters then, and the lack of a HD
on one's Amiga NOW, in 1990, renders it a crippled system.

For years, the Amiga was a joke and an oddity; consider:

	floppy drives as the primary mass storage medium, and

	(typically) more RAM than mass storage.

Do yourself a favor and get a HD for your Amiga; only 36 more shopping days
until Christmas!

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov17.033236.7805@nas.nasa.gov>
gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) writes:
   Can *SOMEBODY* break up pbmplus so that it could fit on 2 diskettes,
   and re-submit it to abcfd20.  It would be IMPOSSIBLE to download it
   at 2400 baud, especially at toll call rates.

Already done.  FTP it from pc.usl.edu [130.70.40.3] in
/pub/amiga/pbmplus/{bin,doc,src} where you'll find each binary and doc
file separate so you can download only the ones you're interested in.
As usual, please restrict your connections to nights and weekends.

Lane
lar@usl.edu

gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (11/24/90)

thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) in
> <1990Nov17.033236.7805@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
>
> 	I've been trying to get the pbmplus utilities off of abcfd20, but the
> 	thing is over 900K!!!  THIS DOES NOT FIT ON AN 800/720K DISKETTE!!!
>
> I don't want to sound callous, but if you cannot handle a 900K archive file,
> how do you expect to process some of the 1MB+ pictures?  Some that I process
> are 1024x1024x8 (1MB) and larger ones are possible.

Sorry Thad, I should'a explained how I transport my files...

I work at NASA-Ames, and my Amy is at home (yes, I have an HD...as a matter
of fact, a Quantum and a Syquest).  So, in order to transfer the files
from work to home, I ftp them directly onto a Grid portable (Messy-DOS
laptop), the take the floppy home and transfer them to my Amy with Cross-Dos.
Very Cheap ... much less than sitting on the modem (and a bad line most of
the time on top of that!) and racking up toll charges.  So, I always have
a box of 3 1/2" floppies here at work.

The archive on abcfd20 apparently contains everything in one large archive,
source, binaries, docs, etc.  Not Nice :-(  Hence, the problem with
ftp'ing it onto the floppy directly.

Oh yes ... I have 8 meg of memory on my Amy.  Is that going to be enough
for the program?  :-) ;-) :-)

From: lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.)
>Already done.  FTP it from pc.usl.edu [130.70.40.3] in
>/pub/amiga/pbmplus/{bin,doc,src} where you'll find each binary and doc
>file separate so you can download only the ones you're interested in.
>As usual, please restrict your connections to nights and weekends.

Thanks!  I appreciate it!

   Robert Gutierrez

gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez)
in <1990Nov24.054412.22675@nas.nasa.gov> writes re: the "overlarge" pbmplus.lzh
on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov:

	... So, in order to transfer the files
	from work to home, I ftp them directly onto a Grid portable (Messy-DOS
	laptop), the take the floppy home and transfer them to my Amy with
	Cross-Dos.  ...

Why not de-lharc them on the work system?  Do you REALLY have an MS-DOS system
directly on the Internet, or do you just x/y/zmodem them from your "real"
machine to the GRiD at work?  As I responded elsewhere this morning in the
message thread about "Old AmigaLibDisks", the source for lharc is readily
available and I've gotten it working on numerous machines (HP-9000/840,
HP-9000/350, 3B1, etc.)

	The archive on abcfd20 apparently contains everything in one large
	archive, source, binaries, docs, etc.  ...

Sorry to inform you, but NO source is included in that archive on abcfd20.
You'll need to get the sources from the site I originally mentioned in my
first reply: ftp.ee.lbl.gov (IP 128.3.254.68).  Dunno why some people are
so selfish to not share what was already "PD" code (re: the Amiga port of
Jef Poskanzer's original PD pbmplus).

	Oh yes ... I have 8 meg of memory on my Amy.  Is that going to be
	enough for the program?  :-) ;-) :-)

Sure!  I have more on my systems, but what you have will be adequate.  :-)

BTW, I ran a simple experiment with the pbmplus.lzh from abcfd20; the archived
pbmplus.lzh is some 965Kbytes, but my compressed/tar'd version is 802Kbytes.
Guess what: that "just" may fit on an Amiga floppy.  And both tar and compress
are readibly available for the Amiga.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (11/28/90)

I wanted to thank everybody who told me or sent Lharc for Unix.  It works
fine, and it solved my problem below:

In article <36267@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez)
> in <1990Nov24.054412.22675@nas.nasa.gov> writes re: the "overlarge" pbmplus.lzh
> on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov:
>
> 	... So, in order to transfer the files
> 	from work to home, I ftp them directly onto a Grid portable (Messy-DOS
> 	laptop), the take the floppy home and transfer them to my Amy with
> 	Cross-Dos.  ...
>
> Why not de-lharc them on the work system?

Once I found Lharc for my Sun, that's exactly what I did.

> Do you REALLY have an MS-DOS system
> directly on the Internet, or do you just x/y/zmodem them from your "real"
> machine to the GRiD at work?

Yep, the Grid has an ethernet card right inside, and I upload everything
directly onto the floppy (if it's small) or the internal hardrive if it's
really big.  I tried to look for Lharc for MS-DOS, but even though the
west coast MilNet gateway to simtel20 is 5 buildings away, it's *STILL*
too slow and too many users always on it to ftp from...

(You should see pbmplus fly when I ftp it...about 20 seconds...  Nice to
_be_ a backbone :-)

> 	The archive on abcfd20 apparently contains everything in one large
> 	archive, source, binaries, docs, etc.  ...
>
> Sorry to inform you, but NO source is included in that archive on abcfd20.

Found out myself when I took the archive apart myself. Oh well, I'm not
a programmer anyway, just curious.

   robert

thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>	... So, in order to transfer the files
>	from work to home, I ftp them directly onto a Grid portable (Messy-DOS
>	laptop), the take the floppy home and transfer them to my Amy with
>	Cross-Dos.  ...

>Why not de-lharc them on the work system?  Do you REALLY have an MS-DOS system

I do basically the same thing to get files to my Amiga, Thad.
The reason you don't un-archive them at work is that MSDOS
(which is what you have to transfer them to your amiga with)
doesn't support full amiga file names (Only 8 characters with
a 3 letter extention).

If he had lharc on his unix machine he could possibly unlharc large files
on it then re-lharc them into smaller lharc files. IF his unix machine
supports filenames long enough. My unix machine here chokes on file names
longer than 14 characters. So, I can't lhunarc them on my unix machine,
as it truncates names over 14 chars long. And a lot of Amiga file names seem
to be more than 14 chars.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) in <3907@corpane.UUCP> writes:

>thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>	... So, in order to transfer the files
>>	from work to home, I ftp them directly onto a Grid portable (Messy-DOS
>>	laptop), the take the floppy home and transfer them to my Amy with
>>	Cross-Dos.  ...
>
>>Why not de-lharc them on the work system?  Do you REALLY have an MS-DOS syste
>
>I do basically the same thing to get files to my Amiga, Thad.
>The reason you don't un-archive them at work is that MSDOS
>(which is what you have to transfer them to your amiga with)
>doesn't support full amiga file names (Only 8 characters with
>a 3 letter extention).
>
>If he had lharc on his unix machine he could possibly unlharc large files
>on it then re-lharc them into smaller lharc files. IF his unix machine
>supports filenames long enough. My unix machine here chokes on file names
>longer than 14 characters. So, I can't lhunarc them on my unix machine,
>as it truncates names over 14 chars long. And a lot of Amiga file names seem
>to be more than 14 chars.

Thanks for the clarification for WHY the problem.

Here's another solution which I implemented for one of our users' groups,
based on what I'd seen at Ohio State (by Bob Sutterfield and Karl Kleinpaste)
regarding uucp access to their system (osu-cis): break up large files into,
say, 100K sections for uucp or modem (or floppy disk) transfer, then either:

	Amiga:  CLI> join parta partb partc ... AS everything.lzh
	UNIX:	$ cat part* > everything.lzh

The convention at osu-cis follows what my program (docs are below) does; the
program works on UNIX (all flavors) and on the Amiga.  I was quite tempted to
just post the sources, too, ... , foo, it's so small (less than some of my
recent postings :-) so maybe this quick-hack can help someone else, too.
'Sfunny how some of these one-time-only qwik-'n-dirty programs end up being
used almost in a production situation!  Not the best code, but it works. Enjoy.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

---- Cut Here and unpack ----
#!/bin/sh
# This is a shell archive (shar 3.32)
# made 12/07/1990 11:58 UTC by thad@thadlabs
# Source directory /u/thad/xfr-amiga
#
# existing files WILL be overwritten
#
# This shar contains:
# length  mode       name
# ------ ---------- ------------------------------------------
#    124 -rw-r--r-- Makefile
#   2627 -rw-r--r-- xsplit.c
#
if touch 2>&1 | fgrep 'amc' > /dev/null
 then TOUCH=touch
 else TOUCH=true
fi
# ============= Makefile ==============
echo "x - extracting Makefile (Text)"
sed 's/^X//' << 'SHAR_EOF' > Makefile &&
X# Makefile for xsplit, Manx version (3.6a)
Xxsplit:		xsplit.o
X		ln -M +Q xsplit -lc
Xxsplit.o:	xsplit.c
X		cc -DAMIGA xsplit
SHAR_EOF
$TOUCH -am 1207035790 Makefile &&
chmod 0644 Makefile ||
echo "restore of Makefile failed"
set `wc -c Makefile`;Wc_c=$1
if test "$Wc_c" != "124"; then
	echo original size 124, current size $Wc_c
fi
# ============= xsplit.c ==============
echo "x - extracting xsplit.c (Text)"
sed 's/^X//' << 'SHAR_EOF' > xsplit.c &&
X/*	                      X S P L I T
X *
X *
X * PURPOSE:
X *
X *	Breaks up a large archive (e.g. foo.tar.Z) into multiple 100,000 byte
X *	files for file transfer sanity in case an FTP, uucp, XMODEM, etc. fails.
X *
X *	Each created file's name consists of a given prefix to which will be
X *	appended a two-character suffix per "aa", "ab", ... , "zz".
X *
X * USAGE:
X *
X *	xsplit  source.file  prefix
X *
X *	where:
X *		"source.file" is the single large file to be split
X *
X *		"prefix" is the first part of the names of the files to be
X *			 created by the split.
X *
X * EXAMPLES:
X *
X *	xsplit  foo.1.00.tar.Z  xfr-
X *	xsplit  foo.1.00.tar.Z  "xfr-"
X *
X *	either of the above will create xfr-aa, xfr-ab, ... , xfr-zz
X *
X * IDEAS FOR FUTURE DEVELOPMENT:
X *
X *	- add optional switch value ( -n ) to be the explicit byte size of each
X *	  created file; convert value via  -atol(argv[x])  to replace the
X *	  constant use of 100000 in the present program.
X *
X * HISTORY:
X *
X *	Version 1.0, 6-May-1989, as a quick hack by Thad Floryan.
X *
X * BUILDING:
X *
X *	Procedures for Manx 3.6a on the Amiga:
X *
X *		cc -DAMIGA xsplit
X *		ln -M +Q xsplit -lc
X *
X *	Procedure for UNIXPC/3B1/AT&T-7300, HP-UX, etc.:
X *
X *		cc -O xsplit.c -o xsplit -s
X */
X#include <stdio.h>
Xstatic char *version = "xsplit 1.0 (6-May-1989) Thad Floryan";
Xvoid	 exit();
Xvoid	 fclose();
Xint	 fgetc();
XFILE	*fopen();
Xvoid	 fputc();
Xvoid	 fprintf();
Xvoid	 sprintf();
X#ifdef AMIGA
X#define ERRRET 20
X#else
X#define ERRRET 1
X#endif
Xmain(argc,argv)
X	int	 argc;
X	char	*argv[];
X{
X	int	 fbyte;
X	int	 filnum = 0;
X	FILE	*input;
X	char	 oname[80];
X	FILE	*output;
X	long	 wrtcnt = 0;
X	if (argc != 3)
X	{
X	   fprintf(stderr,"%s\nusage: %s  source.file  prefix\n",
X		   version, argv[0]);
X	   exit(ERRRET);
X	}
X	if ((input = fopen(argv[1], "r")) == NULL)
X	{
X	   fprintf(stderr, "?%s: Cannot open %s for input\n", argv[0], argv[1]);
X	   exit(ERRRET);
X	}
X	while ((fbyte = fgetc(input)) != EOF)
X	{
X	   if (wrtcnt == 0)
X	   {
X	      sprintf(oname,"%s%c%c", argv[2],
X				      (char) ('a' + (filnum / 26)),
X				      (char) ('a' + (filnum % 26)));
X	      if ((output = fopen(oname, "w")) == NULL)
X	      {
X	         fprintf(stderr,"?%s: Cannot open %s for output\n",
X			 argv[0], oname);
X	         exit(ERRRET);
X	      }
X	   }
X	   fputc((char)fbyte, output);
X	   ++wrtcnt;
X	   if (wrtcnt == 100000)
X	   {
X	      fclose(output);
X	      wrtcnt = 0;
X	      ++filnum;
X	   }
X	}
X	fclose(input);
X	if (wrtcnt > 0)
X	{
X	   fclose(output);
X	}
X}
X#ifdef AMIGA
X/*
X * stub to prevent linking the library routine of the same
X * name since we don't run from the Workbench
X */
X_wb_parse(){}
X#endif
SHAR_EOF
$TOUCH -am 1207035790 xsplit.c &&
chmod 0644 xsplit.c ||
echo "restore of xsplit.c failed"
set `wc -c xsplit.c`;Wc_c=$1
if test "$Wc_c" != "2627"; then
	echo original size 2627, current size $Wc_c
fi
exit 0