[comp.sys.amiga] Atari's new machine

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (12/02/90)

Atari just revealed it's new graphics workstation called the TT30, which is
based on a 68030, and costs under 3,000 bucks.  Just thought you all would
like to know, the competition is STILL TRYING! and I stress TRYING!

Chris

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (12/03/90)

In article <10570@helios.TAMU.EDU> cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
>Atari just revealed it's new graphics workstation called the TT30, which is
>based on a 68030, and costs under 3,000 bucks.  Just thought you all would
>like to know, the competition is STILL TRYING! and I stress TRYING!
>
>Chris
Atari has been revealing the TT for quite some time now, it's nothing
new.  As I recall, it's been selling overseas...maybe some of our
European friends can tell us mroe about that.  Is it selling in the US
now? It's suppose to be a pretty good machine, I'd heard that it has a
Unix/TOS operating system.  If only it wasn't being made by Atari.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

In article <25706@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>In article <10570@helios.TAMU.EDU> cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
>Atari has been revealing the TT for quite some time now, it's nothing
>new.  As I recall, it's been selling overseas...maybe some of our
>European friends can tell us mroe about that.

Yes, it is out now for a few months, don't know about sales figures.
But there is already heavy discussion about this device on the FIDO net
(Germany) among users of that system, so there must exist already some.

The UNIX version is not yet out, as far as I know.

sysop@insider.zer.sub.org (12/09/90)

> now? It's suppose to be a pretty good machine, I'd heard that it has a
> Unix/TOS operating system.  If only it wasn't being made by Atari.

If anybody plans to buy a TT for running Unix on it - forget it ! I've seen
it in October at the Orgatec in Cologne, and it is SLOW !

They had a TT with 8 Megs running X, and it was almost slower than Amiga
Unix running X. With 4 Megs Ram ! (people that know X know what that means -
SWAP SWAP SWAP SWAP ...). Every time that guy moved a window, the whole
thing would almost stop, and you could see it re-build the window and
contents. Funny, but I didn't see such a behavior on an A3000 w/8Megs of
Ram...

Amiga - What else ? |  Garry Glendown         The Insider HST/V32 0662177923
	   //       |  UUCP: cbmvax!cbmger!inside!garry  Fido: 2:243/43.999
	  //        |        garry@fulmin.rhoen.sub.org  Garry@DGIHRZ01.BITNET
	\X/         |  Zerberus: SYSOP@INSIDER.ZER

---
   SysOp @ INSIDER    --    TT - Atari's answer to the ZX81 !