[comp.sys.amiga] SAS dropping out..

gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio) (12/09/90)

According to PC Week/Infoworld, SAS is not competing any more in the
compiler market.  They said they can't afford the 1.5 million dollars it
takes to support 15-20 programmers and can't make a profit.  Anyone know
if this will affect the Amiga compiler?

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (12/09/90)

In article <1908@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio) writes:
>According to PC Week/Infoworld, SAS is not competing any more in the
>compiler market.  They said they can't afford the 1.5 million dollars it
>takes to support 15-20 programmers and can't make a profit.  Anyone know
>if this will affect the Amiga compiler?

According to a SAS rep on CompuServe yesterday, 8 December, SAS intends to be
involved in the Amiga C compiler market for quite some time into the future.
They have just released a patch to SAS C 5.10 (release is 5.10A), are working
on release 6.0 and a new C++ implementation.

A specific reference to your rumor might be useful.  This might apply to the
decision I believe was made several months ago to get out of the MS-DOS
market.
Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (12/09/90)

In article <1908@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio) writes:
>According to PC Week/Infoworld, SAS is not competing any more in the
>compiler market.  They said they can't afford the 1.5 million dollars it
>takes to support 15-20 programmers and can't make a profit.

Didn't they just buy Lattice?  Is SAS filled with that many bozo suits
that can't look ahead more than a month or three?

Jeeze.

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec8.225825.5697@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
<
<
<In article <1908@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio) writes:
<>According to PC Week/Infoworld, SAS is not competing any more in the
<>compiler market.  They said they can't afford the 1.5 million dollars it
<>takes to support 15-20 programmers and can't make a profit.
<
<
<Didn't they just buy Lattice?  Is SAS filled with that many bozo suits
<that can't look ahead more than a month or three?
<
<Jeeze.
<
<--
<J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU

Calm down.  SAS didn't "just buy Lattice", they have owned it for years, and
have been involved in the Lattice Amiga C compiler since at least version 4.0.
They just brought the entire operation to the parent company with version 5.10.

In any event, until I see the reference, I'll continue to believe that the
above comment refers to the announcement several months ago, that they were
pulling out of the MS-DOS C market.