[comp.sys.amiga] Simple soundtracker question.

eretherf@math-cs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) (12/06/90)

Please don't flame me for starting this up again...

Some people say that it is commercial.
Some people say that it is PD/SW/FW.

I was reading in two of the most popular mags from Europe and nearly ALL the
the P.D. house had some kind of music disk wit it on there. Some even had
Noise/Sound trackers and Oktalyzer compilations containing all the newest
version of each.

My question: If these were not PD don't you think that the magazine and the
people selling the program be in deep crap for selling these programs?

Since the guy that wrote the original lives over there don't you think
he would have bitched by now?

The reason I ask is that I want everyone to have access to them. Amiga Format
had a PD article that listed Oktalyzer as PD.

Thanks to anyone that replies.

Eric Retherford
.

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (12/06/90)

In Message-ID: <1990Dec5.185515.12982@mcs.kent.edu>
          eretherf@math-cs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) said:
>  places as PD or freely distributable; hence, they almost must be PD.
>  Are they, or are they not?]

Maybe you should explain what Soundtracker and Noisetracker have that MED
does not.  MED *is*, after all, freely distributable for 0 cash.  And it
seems to have all the features of NT/ST/etc. plus many enhancements.  So,
why would anyone use NT/ST/etc. over MED?  You can even save MED songs
as Soundtracker Modules for compatibility between ST/NT and MED.  I have
noticed, however, that some of the Noisetracker-Modules on abcfd20 do NOT
load correctly into MED using the ST-MOD load feature.  Also, some of these
files aren't even recognized as valid ST-MODs... is this MED's fault, are
those files corrupt, or is this ST/NT's fault?

(As examples:  the CrystalHammer module loads but it is corrupted;
               the GreenSleeves module is not recognized as an ST-MOD;
               the Fletch module loads and plays beautifully!)

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #11: No turn signals!  That's right... NO SIGNALS! |
| Wanna left turn?  Right?  Lane change?  Parallel park?  Screw the signals!|

eretherf@kentvax.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) (12/06/90)

In article <901205.154955.CST.C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU> C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>In Message-ID: <1990Dec5.185515.12982@mcs.kent.edu>
>          eretherf@math-cs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) said:
>>  places as PD or freely distributable; hence, they almost must be PD.
>>  Are they, or are they not?]
>
>Maybe you should explain what Soundtracker and Noisetracker have that MED
>does not.  MED *is*, after all, freely distributable for 0 cash.  And it
>seems to have all the features of NT/ST/etc. plus many enhancements.  So,
>why would anyone use NT/ST/etc. over MED?

MED is not in question!! We know it is PD!! So please leave MED out of it!!

Why would anyone use NT/ST over MED?? Why might I drive a Chevy and you
drive a Ford? Why do they make vanilla and chocolate icecream??

Please do not start a BIG discussion over this. I just want to know why these
are so evil to americans and not europeans.

Thank you for your reply anyway.

Eric Retherford

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.185515.12982@mcs.kent.edu> eretherf@math-cs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) writes:
>Please don't flame me for starting this up again...
>
>Some people say that it is commercial.
>Some people say that it is PD/SW/FW.
>
>I was reading in two of the most popular mags from Europe and nearly ALL the
>the P.D. house had some kind of music disk wit it on there. Some even had
>Noise/Sound trackers and Oktalyzer compilations containing all the newest
>version of each.
>
>My question: If these were not PD don't you think that the magazine and the
>people selling the program be in deep crap for selling these programs?
>
>Since the guy that wrote the original lives over there don't you think
>he would have bitched by now?

He did. He realized it was futile. He couldn't afford the legal fees.

>The reason I ask is that I want everyone to have access to them. Amiga Format
>had a PD article that listed Oktalyzer as PD.
>
>Thanks to anyone that replies.
>
>Eric Retherford
>.

If we ever get similar easy-to understand copyright rules all over the world
I am sure we will have no more problems. I will get money for a lawyer before
releasing ANY software to the market.

Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (12/07/90)

In Message-ID: <1990Dec6.011029.26812@mcs.kent.edu>
          eretherf@kentvax.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) said:
>>[...]
>>So, why would anyone use NT/ST/etc. over MED?
>
>MED is not in question!! We know it is PD!! So please leave MED out of it!!
>
>Why would anyone use NT/ST over MED?? Why might I drive a Chevy and you
>drive a Ford? Why do they make vanilla and chocolate icecream??

I drive a Mercury, but close enough.  :-)

I guess my question does sound as if I'm being rude; I didn't mean it that
way.  Seriously, could someone email me and tell me the outstanding features
of NoiseTracker/Soundtracker over MED?  I am honestly curious to know if there
is any big difference. (ie. Is the interface to NT/ST better?  Do they have
more features?  Or are they just different?)

>Please do not start a BIG discussion over this. I just want to know why these
>are so evil to americans and not europeans.

Ok, for those who want to respond to my question, please use email.

As to why NT/ST are 'evil' to Americans:   At least for me, these programs
aren't 'evil'; I just have never seen them.  If anything, they are a
mystery to me.  Perhaps the distance between here and there makes it hard
for Americans to know if they can legally use ST/NT, while those in Europe
are more sure of the legality of using ST/NT.  The only thing that would be
'evil' for some is to use a pirated/non-PD program without paying for it.
Since I haven't had the chance to *SEE* ST/NT, I don't know of it is PD or
not.  If it *is* commercial, I would not use it without paying for it.

>Thank you for your reply anyway.

Just doing my job... cluttering the nets.  :-)

>Eric Retherford

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #11: No turn signals!  That's right... NO SIGNALS! |
| Wanna left turn?  Right?  Lane change?  Parallel park?  Screw the signals!|

ztsindi@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Bill Gant) (12/10/90)

Posted for Clayton J. Miner...Text to Follow
 | Todd G Vaarwerk      | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                |
 | State University of  | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU |
 |  New York at Buffalo |           VAARWERK@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 | Disclaimer: Believe what you want .. I trashed all my views of|
 |             reality ages ago  d8-)                            |

In article <901205.154955.CST.C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU>, C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes...
>(As examples:  the CrystalHammer module loads but it is corrupted;
>               the GreenSleeves module is not recognized as an ST-MOD;
>               the Fletch module loads and plays beautifully!)
>
>| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
>| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #11: No turn signals!  That's right... NO SIGNALS! |
>| Wanna left turn?  Right?  Lane change?  Parallel park?  Screw the signals!|

Please!  How do I find this ABCFD20 area that you and a few other people have
mentioned?  I am trying to increase my collection of mods and have run out of
local sources.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks
 |          Wing Commander Skeksis - Reality Engineer                  |
 | Clayton J. Miner     | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                      |
 | -------------------- | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU       |
 | The views of this post are not the views of this host organization. |
 |  They ARE, however, the views of the SysOp of the Known World BBS.  |
 |         300-1200-2400 bps, 24 hours mostly.  A SkyLine BBS.         |
 |                         (716)-883-3083                              |