[comp.sys.amiga] That Middle Button

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (12/06/90)

[Munch all you want, I'll type more]

Howdy all.

Well, my mouse finally gave out the other day, forcing me to finally go out and
buy a new one.  So I called up Safe Harbor and orderd a Boing! optical mouse. I
got it for a good price, and they sent it a day early, too.  And to top it all
off, they gave me a roll of Life Savers in the box.  What more could you ask
for?

So I have this wonderful mouse, and a bunch of questions:
1.  That middle button... I might as well use it.  Is there any software that
	suports it?  I know DME does, and I have switcher, but I'm looking for
	something tiny that, say, cycles the screens.

2.  Can you get a larger pad?  Tunnels of Armageddon and PowerDrome are quick
	and easy ways to run out of mouse pad.

3.  Is there any way to make the mouse slide across the pad with less friction?
	I heard of some kind of wax, but I'd rather find out before I go and do
	something stupid.

Recommendation:  If your original mouse is starting to go south, at least try
one of these mice.  It wasn't the cheapest, but I'm sure satisfied,

(As usual, I have no association with Centaur or GFXBase except as a very
satisfied customer.)
--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu

dg@sundog.caltech.edu (DALE GARY) (12/08/90)

In article <7896.275d92fe@jetson.uh.edu>, honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) writes...

>Well, my mouse finally gave out the other day, forcing me to finally go out and
>buy a new one.  So I called up Safe Harbor and orderd a Boing! optical mouse. I
>got it for a good price, and they sent it a day early, too.  And to top it all
>off, they gave me a roll of Life Savers in the box.  What more could you ask
>for?
>
>So I have this wonderful mouse, and a bunch of questions:
	[Deleted questions]

>3.  Is there any way to make the mouse slide across the pad with less friction?
>	I heard of some kind of wax, but I'd rather find out before I go and do
>	something stupid.

   I got a Boing mouse about a year ago (for Christmas), and at first it did
not slide around easily, but after about a week it got much smoother.  I was
very happy with it then, for several months.  However, after awhile it started
getting more difficult to slide around.  The fuzzy material on the bottom
got gummed up, I guess.  Now there is so much friction that I am considerably
less than happy with it.  Have others had a similar experience, and if so,
what can be done about it?

>--
>\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
>/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu
>\/  Because We're Bored!" \X/   | CREN (BitNet): HONP9@UHVAX1   "Ewige
>/\ . DISCLAIMER ." Whose opinions did you think there were?" ;   Blumenkraft"

Thanks,

Dale Gary

faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey <NECR0SIS>) (12/08/90)

dg@sundog.caltech.edu (DALE GARY) writes:

>very happy with it then, for several months.  However, after awhile it started
>getting more difficult to slide around.  The fuzzy material on the bottom
>got gummed up, I guess.  Now there is so much friction that I am considerably
>less than happy with it.  Have others had a similar experience, and if so,
>what can be done about it?

Well,  I have had this problem also, but a Sun workstation user told me a
little trick that he does when this happens: (Suns have similar mice)
-- Flip over the mousepad (to the black rubbery foam side), and rub the
mouse on it. This seems to clean out the little felt pads on the under-
side of the mouse. I also would clean the mousepad itself. Here's how I
do it (I wont say it's the best way, cuz as far as I know, it messes up
the pad. But, I haven't had any problems with it for the entire 1.5yrs I
have had it). Just wipe it off w/ windex or water if you want to be real
safe.... :)

If you do these things, the mouse will _fly_.

>Thanks,
>Dale Gary

Bob
|      ///| a.k.a. NECR0SIS     faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu  -or-          |
|  \\\///_|                     faheyr@rose.ucs.indiana.edu                  |
|   \XX/  |  M  I  G  A      "'Ere long done do does did..."  - The Smiths   |
|             "...life is seen through the eyes of a dog..."  - Skinny Puppy |

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (12/08/90)

faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey <NECR0SIS>) writes:
>Well,  I have had this problem also, but a Sun workstation user told me a
>little trick that he does when this happens: (Suns have similar mice)
>-- Flip over the mousepad (to the black rubbery foam side), and rub the
>mouse on it. This seems to clean out the little felt pads on the under-
>side of the mouse. I also would clean the mousepad itself. Here's how I
>do it (I wont say it's the best way, cuz as far as I know, it messes up
>the pad. But, I haven't had any problems with it for the entire 1.5yrs I
>have had it). Just wipe it off w/ windex or water if you want to be real
>safe.... :)

HAY that works Great!..... Gets Gummy stuff all over tho...
(What IS that stuff)
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey <NECR0SIS>) (12/08/90)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

[...directoins on how to clean mouse deleted...]

>HAY that works Great!..... Gets Gummy stuff all over tho...
>(What IS that stuff)

Umm, not real sure. When I had the prob, it wasnt gummy stuff, just loads of
lint/dust. Maybe some coka-cola got in it :). I really don't know...

|      ///| a.k.a. NECR0SIS     faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu  -or-          |
|  \\\///_|                     faheyr@rose.ucs.indiana.edu                  |
|   \XX/  |  M  I  G  A      "'Ere long done do does did..."  - The Smiths   |
|             "...life is seen through the eyes of a dog..."  - Skinny Puppy |

johnhlee@hermod.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (12/08/90)

In article <faheyr.660599016@silver> faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey <NECR0SIS>) writes:
[...]
>side of the mouse. I also would clean the mousepad itself. Here's how I
>do it (I wont say it's the best way, cuz as far as I know, it messes up
>the pad. But, I haven't had any problems with it for the entire 1.5yrs I
>have had it). Just wipe it off w/ windex or water if you want to be real
>safe.... :)
>
>If you do these things, the mouse will _fly_.

The infamous Mouse Systems M3/M4 mouse...  I have a converted Sun M3 optical
mouse (the same as the Boing! mouse, I believe.)  I keep my mousepad
religiously clean by thoroughly wiping it off with Windex/glass cleaner
*every time* before I use my Amiga.  After two years it is still as smooth
as glass.  The felt pads still look nice and clean, although occasionally
I have to scrap a little gunk off the felt pads.  That gunk, by the way, is
dust, dirt, oil, and flaked skin.  If you don't keep the pad clean, the mouse
gets rather "grippy," as illustrated vividly by the mice attached to the
workstations used by undergrads...

Don't worry about the Windex hurting the mouse pad.  (Water won't do the
job--the universal solvent isn't universal enough)   At work, we use even
stronger stuff, an industrial foam cleaner with a lots of ammonia.  The
inked lines won't come off unless you scrap them off.

By the way, does anyone know where to buy replacement mouse pads?

Mice and time fly!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec7.183129.16746@nntp-server.caltech.edu> dg@sundog.caltech.edu writes:
>   I got a Boing mouse about a year ago (for Christmas), and at first it did
>not slide around easily, but after about a week it got much smoother.  I was
>very happy with it then, for several months.  However, after awhile it started
>getting more difficult to slide around.  The fuzzy material on the bottom
>got gummed up, I guess.

I don't have a Boing! mouse, but I have the Mouse Systems critter on the
Sun at work.  Just take a pencil eraser to the pads and gently scrub.  The
gummy stuff comes right out.  Don't know if the pads are made of the same
material on the two different mice though.

--
Elephants don't step on you because they don't 	   |        Steven King