[comp.sys.amiga] TeX on the Amiga

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (12/11/90)

In article <1367@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:

> I've waited (I'm still waiting) a long time to be able to afford AmigaTeX and
> I would be jealous of my American Amiga counterparts if they could get it for
> cheaper. :-)

Just so all you TeX fans know there's a less expensive alternative,
I'll insert a plug here for PasTeX, a freely-redistributable version
of TeX for the Amiga.  It comes with a nice DVI previewer and a DVI
print program that supports NEC P6/P7 24-pin and compatible printers,
HP DeskJets and compatibles, and Epson FX 9-pins and compatibles (and
will print to IFF files).  It's worked perfectly on all the various
TeX and LaTeX files I've thrown at it.

The biggest drawback is that it comes with very sketchy English
documentation (most of it is in German), but if you know TeX already,
you won't have any trouble running it, and the other programs are not
too difficult to figure out (both ShowDVI and DVIPrint have English
help screens that you can call up with the -? option).

It's available on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in incoming/Amiga/TEX/PasTeX*.

nj