[comp.sys.amiga] compress

detert@lognet2.arpa (CMS David K. Detert) (07/14/88)

<Line eaters sure do have heavy appetites.>

Does anyone have a version of compress/uncompress that will work on the Amiga
and uncompress the files from the Purdue archives?  I have downloaded the
one from Purdue, but itlways returns an error - file not in compressed
format.  Any help would be appreciated.

CMSgt Dave Detert        ARPANet: detert@LOGNET2.ARPA
Amiga SIG Leader, MACKS (Montgomery Area Commodore Komputer Society)

(No . signature yet, but the standard, 'See no evil, hear no evil, speak
no evil,' applies)

thad@cup.portal.com (07/15/88)

The `compress/uncompress' on the Fred Fish disks (master sources on Disk #6,
several updates on Disk #51) should work fine for you; I use the executables
from FF#51 almost daily without ANY problems whatsoever, and I've recompiled
the sources on my 3B1 and the program(s) function fine there, too.

If you cannot locate (at least) FF#51 locally, I could uuencode/shar/post the
stuff to you.

woodsb@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Brent L. Woods) (07/19/88)

In article <3292@louie.udel.EDU> detert@lognet2.arpa (CMS David K. Detert) writes:

 >Does anyone have a version of compress/uncompress that will work on the Amiga
 >and uncompress the files from the Purdue archives?  I have downloaded the
 >one from Purdue, but itlways returns an error - file not in compressed
 >format.  Any help would be appreciated.

     Hmmm.  Have you been using "binary" mode in ftp?  If you don't,
the compressed files can be corrupted by the transfer.  The files
uncompress just fine on my Amiga.

     In any case, there will be a new version of Amiga compress coming
out "real soon now."  This one will dynamically allocate the memory it
needs (previously, this was controlled by a compile-time option), and
look for an environment variable with a default number of bits (Manx
style environment).  I'm "almost finished" with it, eh?

--
     Brent Woods, Co-Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga

USENET:  woodsb@killer.UUCP
USNAIL:  320 Brown St., #406  /  W. Lafayette, IN  47906
MABELL:  +1 (317) 743-8421

detert@lognet2.arpa (CMS David K. Detert) (07/21/88)

In article <3292@louie.udel.EDU> I wrote:
>Does anyone have a version of compress/uncompress that will work on the Amiga
>and uncompress the files from the Purdue archives?  I have downloaded the
>one from Purdue, but it always returns an error - file not in compressed
>format.  Any help would be appreciated.

To all who responded with advise, I thank you.  It appears that the version of
compress in the archives at Purdue will only handle a max of 13 bit compression
and Pat (White) uses 15 bit compression for the archives.  Kjohn indicated
there would be a newer version available at AmiExpo and I hope to be able to
pick it up.

For those who sent advice, I do use BINARY when FTP'ing and can download, etc.,
just fine, but I have to use the UN*X version of uncompress on the LOGNET2
system.  It would certainly save time if I could download the compressed file
to my Amy and uncompress/unshar/uudecode/dearc/etc on Amy.

If I am not successful after AmiExpo, I will put up another request for help.
Thanks to all who responded.

CMSgt Dave Detert       ARPANet:  detert<at>lognet2.arpa

<No .signature yet, but the standard -
Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil applies!>

PS for Dan "Sneakers" Schein.  I don't know what a GOOD (useable) UUCP address
would be.  I only know the ARPANet address above.  I'll try to figure it out if
needed after AmiExpo.  Thanks and keep up the terrific support!

pyr464@psc90.UUCP (Fred Slama) (11/16/89)

Say.. Could someone give me some idea where to find UNCOMPRESS for the\
amiga? I DLed COMPRESS, but no UNCOMPRESS utility. Are you supposed to
use COMPRESS by itself or with an argument to UNCOMPRESS files with
the .Z extention... ? Any help, hints, and/or money would be appreciated.\

					Thanks,
						Fred (pyr464!psc90.uucp)

gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) (11/17/89)

compress IS uncompress!  There's a command-line flag to let you
uncompress, and if you NAME it uncompress, it will uncompress by
default!

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (11/17/89)

In article <1066@psc90.UUCP> pyr464@.UUCP (Fred Slama) writes:

>Say.. Could someone give me some idea where to find UNCOMPRESS for the
>amiga?

>						Fred (pyr464!psc90.uucp)

	Well...  The docs for version of compress I have say to copy
compress to another file called (you guessed it) uncompress.  Suposedly the
program checks its file name to decide if it should compress or uncompress
stuff.  I believe that there is a command line flag, like '-u,' which causes
'compress' to uncompress things too.

				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (11/17/89)

In article <1066@psc90.UUCP> pyr464@.UUCP (Fred Slama) writes:

|Say.. Could someone give me some idea where to find UNCOMPRESS for the\
|amiga? I DLed COMPRESS, but no UNCOMPRESS utility. Are you supposed to
|use COMPRESS by itself or with an argument to UNCOMPRESS files with
|the .Z extention... ? Any help, hints, and/or money would be appreciated.\

     You already have it.  There's two ways to invoke uncompress.  One,
type 'compress -d <filename>' to uncompress <filename>.Z.  Two, make a
copy of compress and name it uncompress.  Compress looks at the command
line to find out how it was called, and responds apropriately.  In
fact, there is a third function in compress, called 'zcat'.  This does
an uncompression of the file, but sends the output to stdout, instead
of another file.  Pipe it into more, and you can read compressed files
without uncompressing them onto the disk.  (Unix systems do this by
having one copy of compress, and then using symbolic links to it named
uncompress and zcat.  Oh, for symbolic links on my Amiga...)

|					Thanks,
|						Fred (pyr464!psc90.uucp)

     You're welcome.  I hope this helped.

                                    --dds

Dale D. Snell      dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM      74756.666@compuserve.COM

raf@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ralph A. Foy) (11/17/89)

From article <3073@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty):
> 	Well...  The docs for version of compress I have say to copy
> compress to another file called (you guessed it) uncompress.  Suposedly the
> program checks its file name to decide if it should compress or uncompress
> stuff.  I believe that there is a command line flag, like '-u,' which causes
> 'compress' to uncompress things too.

the flag is '-d'. rather than making a copy of the compress command,
you may find it easier to just make an alias for uncompress which
invokes compress with the appropriate flag.

ralph

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (11/18/89)

In Message <12053@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, raf@PRC.Unisys.COM (Ralph A. Foy) writes:
>From article <3073@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty):
>> 	Well...  The docs for version of compress I have say to copy
>> compress to another file called (you guessed it) uncompress.  Suposedly the
>> program checks its file name to decide if it should compress or uncompress
>> stuff.  I believe that there is a command line flag, like '-u,' which causes
>> 'compress' to uncompress things too.
>
>the flag is '-d'. rather than making a copy of the compress command,
>you may find it easier to just make an alias for uncompress which
>invokes compress with the appropriate flag.

  Would the world not be a better place if we could simply (ala Unix) link
  'uncompress' to 'compress'? Somehow in my warped mind I think so.

  Thats my wish for 1.4 (and beyond ;-)

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////           BERKS AMIGA BBS

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (11/19/89)

In article <1066@psc90.UUCP>, pyr464@.UUCP (Fred Slama) writes:

>Say.. Could someone give me some idea where to find UNCOMPRESS for the\
>amiga? I DLed COMPRESS, but no UNCOMPRESS utility. Are you supposed to
>use COMPRESS by itself or with an argument to UNCOMPRESS files with
>the .Z extention... ? Any help, hints, and/or money would be appreciated.\

If your copy of compress is true to its UNIX heritage, then

	compress -d file.Z

should cause decompression to occur.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Jeff Bevis 		         | "But I don't like spam!"		      |
| bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	 | 	     Give me Amiga or nothing at all. |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

In <9980.AA9980@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>  Would the world not be a better place if we could simply (ala Unix) link
>  'uncompress' to 'compress'? Somehow in my warped mind I think so.

I agree, though I would probably still continue to use my ARexx script that
front-ends for uncompress. It builds the command line if it's a file I name in
the args, and uncompresses everything in a directory if I specify a directory.

-larry

--
My name is OS/2, Mandius, Kludge of Kludges.
Look upon my works, ye CS majors, and gag.

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (11/21/89)

In article <9980.AA9980@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
. . .

> >the flag is '-d'. rather than making a copy of the compress command,
> >you may find it easier to just make an alias for uncompress which
> >invokes compress with the appropriate flag.
>
>   Would the world not be a better place if we could simply (ala Unix) link
>   'uncompress' to 'compress'? Somehow in my warped mind I think so.
> . . .
>     {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
*****
It seems to me to be a question of whether a linking arrangement would
use more or less memory than
                             alias uncompress  compress -z
where 'z' is the correct flag.  Since the linking system is hypothetical,
I don't know the answer.  But my guess is that the alias would be more
memory efficient.  Execution speed is not a serious issue when the user
is interactive.  (That is, unless link references are incredibly slow, since
both things will happen very fast from the interactive user's perspective.)
And if it's being done in a script, ...

Links would be useful for other applications that I know of in high end
systems.  < Defensive comment.  I'm not arguing against links.
William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                Albany, NY 12222

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (11/23/89)

In Message <2176@leah.Albany.Edu>, wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) writes:
|>In article <9980.AA9980@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
|>   Would the world not be a better place if we could simply (ala Unix) link
|>   'uncompress' to 'compress'? Somehow in my warped mind I think so.
|
|It seems to me to be a question of whether a linking arrangement would
|use more or less memory than
|                             alias uncompress  compress -z
|where 'z' is the correct flag.  Since the linking system is hypothetical,

  I agree in this case an alias would work just as good. A link would
  require disk space where an alias requires memory. Perhaps the best
  choice will vary depending on what each user can spare. But my -real-
  reason for wanting links is for AmigaUUCP and cross-posted messages.
  Currently it makes a copy for each newsgroup, boy would links be nice.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___

RICK@QUCDNEE.BITNET (Rick Pim) (12/11/90)

> are  za011@zeus.unomaha.edu

>Z stands for Compress, and it is a UNIX compression method.  Since you are
>using a VMS machine (yea!), you can't undo it, at least not on the VAX here.

 a fallacy. the vms program LZDCMP is capable of decompressing files
created with unix compress. LZCMP is the corresponding compression
routine. works fine for me. badger your system manager; most vms systems
have copies somewhere.

rp
Rick Pim                                            bitnet:rick@qucdnee
Department of Electrical Engineering         rick@qucdnee.ee.queensu.ca