[comp.sys.amiga] My Two Cents on Joysticks

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (11/24/90)

Re: The EPYX 500XJ

Although EPYX went bellyup, the joystick is still available from California
Access, makers of the Bodega Bay A500 expansion chassis.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/24/90)

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

> Re: The EPYX 500XJ
>
> Although EPYX went bellyup, the joystick is still available from California
> Access, makers of the Bodega Bay A500 expansion chassis.
>                                                 --Rick Wrigley
>                                                 fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

Yes! Thank you! I've been looking for one of those sticks forever!

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68030 chip." -Computer Shopper

kinks@brahms.udel.edu (Karl E Aldinger) (12/06/90)

I have two joysticks that were given to me (along with some dusty TI 99/4As)
They're Amiga joysticks and a friend (who also owns one) assures me that
before Amiga (the self-contained company) created and sold they're design to
Commodore, they were a joystick maker.  Not to downplay the importance of
electro-mechanical peripherals, but I find it hard to believe that a co.
making its living selling joysticks, could create such a neat computer.  Any
Amiga fans know the roots of the Amiga Co.

							Karl Aldinger

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (12/06/90)

kinks@brahms.udel.edu (Karl E Aldinger) writes:

>I have two joysticks that were given to me (along with some dusty TI 99/4As)
>They're Amiga joysticks and a friend (who also owns one) assures me that
>before Amiga (the self-contained company) created and sold they're design to
>Commodore, they were a joystick maker.  Not to downplay the importance of
>electro-mechanical peripherals, but I find it hard to believe that a co.
>making its living selling joysticks, could create such a neat computer.  Any
>Amiga fans know the roots of the Amiga Co.

Why is it hard to believe? You've got to have something to pay the
bills. You do indeed own a pair of the first Amigas made. If you want
the complete collection, you'll also need to scrounge up a Joyboard.

The Joyboard is a flat, rectangular joystick that you stand on. It was
intended for sports oriented games so you could feel that you were
really skiing or running or whatever. But more important, the Joyboard
was also the genesis of the infamous Guru. It seems that someone at
Amiga Inc. came up with the idea of using the Joyboard as a relaxation
device. Sit on the Joyboard in the lotus position, try not to trigger
any of the switches. If you did close one of the switches during your
meditation, then it was of course, a "guru meditation error".

Believe it or else!
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com     ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne  (I hope)

metahawk@pawl.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (12/06/90)

In article <16553@brahms.udel.edu> kinks@brahms.udel.edu (Karl E Aldinger) writes:

>I have two joysticks that were given to me (along with some dusty TI 99/4As)
>They're Amiga joysticks and a friend (who also owns one) assures me that
>before Amiga (the self-contained company) created and sold they're design to
>Commodore, they were a joystick maker.  Not to downplay the importance of
>electro-mechanical peripherals, but I find it hard to believe that a co.
>making its living selling joysticks, could create such a neat computer.  Any
>Amiga fans know the roots of the Amiga Co.
>
>							Karl Aldinger

Yes, Amiga Co. (originally a joystick maker) designed the Amiga computer.
I believe they had some monetary shortages and couldn't get the Amiga
in production and/or finished.  Somehow CBM bought them and voila, the
Commodore Amiga.  (By the way their joysticks were rather good.)

                               Wayne Rigby
                               metahwk@pawl.rpi.edu  (Internet)

karl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Karl Herrman - CATS) (12/07/90)

In article <16553@brahms.udel.edu> kinks@brahms.udel.edu (Karl E Aldinger) writes:

>I have two joysticks that were given to me (along with some dusty TI 99/4As)
>They're Amiga joysticks and a friend (who also owns one) assures me that
>before Amiga (the self-contained company) created and sold they're design to
>Commodore, they were a joystick maker.  Not to downplay the importance of
>electro-mechanical peripherals, but I find it hard to believe that a co.
>making its living selling joysticks, could create such a neat computer.  Any
>Amiga fans know the roots of the Amiga Co.
>
>							Karl Aldinger

Believe it.  Your friend is right.  And they're pretty good joysticks too.

Karl Herrmann
C.A.T.S.

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec6.011923.12498@javelin.es.com> blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>Why is it hard to believe? You've got to have something to pay the
>bills. You do indeed own a pair of the first Amigas made. If you want
>the complete collection, you'll also need to scrounge up a Joyboard.

You'll also need to scrounge up the Amiga Pow'rstick version build for the
ColecoVision.  The same as the standard Pow'rstick, but it had a keypad area
above the stick and an extra fire button.

And boy, do I wish I could scrounge one of these old sticks (the standard
flavor especially, the keypad wouldn't do much for me) to use with my Amiga
500!

--
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of   	   |        Steven King