[comp.sys.amiga] FTP file names .z

bacon@zeus.unomaha.edu (12/09/90)

I have a question about ftp'ing to remote sites.

It seems that when you get down to the dir and file level on some systems
the name of the prog that I want to get is labeled something like "Part01.z".
I have assumed that the .z suffix meant that the file had been archived in
some form, and my guess was the the .z stood for zoo.

However, once I'm logged off and onto my own system, I have tried to unzoo
these files and it hasn't worked.

I'm sure there must be something that I'm missing or that I don't understand
that would quickly clarify this problem.

You can post (so everyone will know, even those who have been afraid to ask)
on news or leave email to my address.

za011@zeus.unomaha.edu (12/09/90)

In article <5436.2760cc11@zeus.unomaha.edu>, bacon@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
> I have a question about ftp'ing to remote sites.
>
> It seems that when you get down to the dir and file level on some systems
> the name of the prog that I want to get is labeled something like "Part01.z".
> I have assumed that the .z suffix meant that the file had been archived in
> some form, and my guess was the the .z stood for zoo.
>
> However, once I'm logged off and onto my own system, I have tried to unzoo
> these files and it hasn't worked.
>
> I'm sure there must be something that I'm missing or that I don't understand
> that would quickly clarify this problem.
>
> You can post (so everyone will know, even those who have been afraid to ask)
> on news or leave email to my address.

I started replying to your message, then I noticed that I know you, Russ.
Z stands for Compress, and it is a UNIX compression method.  Since you are
using a VMS machine (yea!), you can't undo it, at least not on the VAX here.
I will place an Amiga Compress program in your account pronto.  Beware,
though, Compress eats memory like cops eat junk food, so you will not be able
to undo very large files.  If you have any large ones, I'll undo them for you.

Kurt Krueger | BITNET:   ZA011@UNOMA1           |        //\
MBA student  | Internet: ZA011@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU |      \X/--\ M I G A
                   "User-friendly software"  Yeah, right.

and za011@zeus.unomaha.edu in <5458.2761597f@zeus.unomaha.edu> writes:

	I started replying to your message, then I noticed that I know you,
	Russ.  Z stands for Compress, and it is a UNIX compression method.
	Since you are using a VMS machine (yea!), you can't undo it, at least
	not on the VAX here.  I will place an Amiga Compress program in your
	account pronto.  Beware, though, Compress eats memory like cops eat
	junk food, so you will not be able to undo very large files.  If you
	have any large ones, I'll undo them for you.

Hmmm, careful there!  Note that "bacon" clearly said "Part01.z", where the
"z" is lower-case.  Compress' wont is for upper-case "Z".  The only program
set of which I'm aware that uses lower-case "z" is {pack, unpack, pcat} from
very early AT&T systems; those are congruent to but not compatible with the
set {compress, uncompress, zcat}.

And, unless you personally know "bacon"'s Amiga system config, don't presume
he couldn't uncompress/unpack large files; one can readily uncompress, for
example, the 4.5MB GNU EMACS tar file (to be 12.3MB) with only 1.5MB RAM and
a HD on an Amiga.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (12/11/90)

Just nitpicking:

        The .Z tag means that you 'uncompress' it.
        The .z tag means that you 'unpack' it.

This is only valid for systems that allows different letter cases, and
case IS important.

Also: .ar means use 'ar' and .tar means 'tar.

If you see something like:

file.tar.Z, use 'uncompress' first, (On UNIX, Amiga, whatever), then use
'tar' to unpack the archive. (tar and ar just stick the files into one,
as it's not a compressor...)

-jph
joseph@valnet.UUCP or ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
IMHO: The "H" means "honest"!