[comp.sys.amiga] Windows for Amiga?? Maybe!!

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (11/21/90)

Ok, before you flame me or fall on the floor laughing at the Subject
above, read the story below.  I'm only posting this because I was
very shocked at first and then eventually convinced myself:

It all started when I noticed the cover story on a friend's MacWeek.
It said "MicroSoft ports Windows to Mac."  As I laughed out loud at
the very notion, the friend and another Mac developer both quieted
my humor.  Apparently they both liked the idea.

I was astounded.  These were two established Mac devotees who
were openly embracing the notion of porting a windowing system to
a computer that already had windowing built in at the chip level.

Further discussion revealed the reason:  They're developers.  The
Mac is inherently difficult compared to Windows to program from a
GUI standpoint.  The small company we all work for will spend over
one million dollars in the next few months porting our software from
PC to Mac.  "Much of that expense," they said, "could be alleviated
if we didn't have to rewrite all the graphic procedures.  We could
devote our time to converting the fundamental routines."

This made sense once they explained how much time they spent with
such trivial tasks as updating pointer positions, opening simple
windows, and more.  But then the lightning struck:

"We'd be very surprised if MicroSoft didn't port Windows to every
major platform in the near future.  That way, software for Mac,
PC, and UNIX could easily be ported from one system to another."

Being the Amiga affectionado I am, I felt a bit slighted that it
was not mentioned as one of their "major" platforms.  "So what
about the Amiga?" I asked.  "Well, it may come to a point where
it's Windows or die.  Either MicroSoft (or Commodore if MicroSoft
isn't interested) will need to port Windows to the Amiga if it
is to survive."

I felt very funny about this notion at first, but then the idea
of more portable software really began to sink in.  I had one last
objection though:  "You know, mediocrity thrives on standardization.
What about each computer's special abilities?  Will they be suppressed
in favor of standard methods?"

Well, apparently they both had confidence (although one more than
the other) that Microsoft would leave the hooks available for custom
abilities.  There would be a vast library of calls, not all of which
would be implemented in each version of Windows.  For example, an Amiga
version of Windows could have PointerColor and PointerSize calls
to implement the fact that the Amiga's pointer is a sprite with more
abilties than the graphic pointer on Mac and MS-DOS.  If such calls
were made on another version of Windows, they would simply be ignored
instead of causing problems.  The trick is to get developers to use
the special abilties of the platforms with them instead of just writing
generic code for all platforms.  (yes, I know this would be a "sticky
wicket" as they say...)

All in all, the concept of making code much more easily portable is
enticing enough that I don't think we should throw this idea out without
at least considering it.  There are two major issues to be addressed
also:
1) Trusting Microsoft or whoever does the port to do it right; include
the hooks and calls to enable each machine to strut its stuff.
2) Making sure the port gets done in the first place, assuming Windows
does indeed take off, and sell on the Mac and gets ported to UNIX.
The Amiga being left behind in such a market is a scary thought.

                       Please keep the flames on this one to a minimum;
                         I don't like Bill Gates that much either!!  ;-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (11/21/90)

In article <90324.194527JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

>"We'd be very surprised if MicroSoft didn't port Windows to every
>major platform in the near future.  That way, software for Mac,
>PC, and UNIX could easily be ported from one system to another."
>
> ..."So what
>about the Amiga?" I asked.  "Well, it may come to a point where
>it's Windows or die.  Either MicroSoft (or Commodore if MicroSoft
>isn't interested) will need to port Windows to the Amiga if it
>is to survive."

Boy! That's about as apocalyptic a thing as I want to deal with.
Puts Patrick Henry's feeling's in perspective. :) :)

>All in all, the concept of making code much more easily portable is
>enticing enough that I don't think we should throw this idea out without
>at least considering it.  There are two major issues to be addressed
>also:

Only two ??!! :)

>                       Please keep the flames on this one to a minimum;
>                         I don't like Bill Gates that much either!!  ;-)
>                                                            Kurt
No flames, just a somewhat awed grin :)

bj

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "Homer, I couldn't help overhear you warping Bart's mind."          |

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (11/22/90)

>In article <90324.194527JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>>"We'd be very surprised if MicroSoft didn't port Windows to every
>>major platform in the near future.  That way, software for Mac,
>>PC, and UNIX could easily be ported from one system to another."

Somehow, I doubt this will ever happen.  Not just because there isn't enough
of an Amiga market for Microsoft to tackle, but because of other
considerations.  I'm involved in a research project looking into software
portability across different presentation interfaces... it's a complex
topic with no easy solutions.  One major problem with porting Windows to
the Mac or the Amiga is that the computer wouldn't then look like a Mac or
an Amiga.  Maybe Microsoft wants this to happen, but I can bet that both
Macintosh and Amiga users would be in an uproar (more of the former, since
Apple has been very aggressive in keeping a standard "look-and-feel" on
the Mac).  Portability tools need to preserver native look-and-feel to be
successful in today's market.

Other problems:  Windows is more than just a presentation interface, it's
also pretty much an operating system in itself.  To guarantee portability,
all this extra stuff would need to ported as well.  On the Mac and the Amiga
the OS is mostly in ROM, and both OS's are quite different from what Windows
supports.

Nope, I just don't see it happening...

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (11/22/90)

Clarification:  Windows need not LOOK like MS-DOS windows.  You could
have the same calls as MS-DOS windows, but the machine-specific routines
would open Mac-looking windows on Mac and WorkBench-looking windows on
Amiga.  Therefore, Windows need not sacrifice the "Look and Feel" of
any platform it is ported to.

A friend (credit to IMS103@PSUVM) suggested that the Amiga version
be in the form of a "windows.lib", similar to the arp.lib.  Would
this not work?

In article <90325.214939JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Clarification:  Windows need not LOOK like MS-DOS windows.  You could
>have the same calls as MS-DOS windows, but the machine-specific routines
>would open Mac-looking windows on Mac and WorkBench-looking windows on
>Amiga.  Therefore, Windows need not sacrifice the "Look and Feel" of
>any platform it is ported to.

Ah, but then why call it "Windows"?  That would only confuse people, who
would expect it to look the same.  What you're talking about is writing
the Windows API (application program interface) for the Amiga.  Unfortunately,
it's still not as simple as writing an "windows.lib".  If you want to be
truly Windows-compatible (i.e., take your Windows source code and compile
it on the Amiga) you'll have to do more than just map the Windows GUI calls.
Windows includes a lot of operating-system functionality, plus DOS stuff,
plus dynamic link libraries, plus... anyhow, you get the idea.  It's NOT
a small system, and hence not a trivial task.  If all you end up are Windows
programs that look like Amiga programs but are in fact ten times the size
and ten times as slow, what have you gained?  Portability is good, but
so is efficiency.  What price do you pay for portability?

In terms of flexibility, I think the Amiga is one of the better systems
on the market today.  It has a fast, efficient OS and a fairly reasonable
GUI, especially now with gadtools and appshell for development.  Its
multitasking works.  We've got ARexx as a standard for IPC and as a general
purpose macro language.  And you don't need 4 megs and 20 megs of hard
drive space to take advantage of these features!

Not that the Amiga isn't without its problems.  But it is a nice system
from a hacking point of view.  User-wise things need work -- kind of the
opposite to Windows, I think.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

dolson@hppad.HP.COM (David Dolson) (11/23/90)

You want a standard window system?

Consider XWindows... A really powerfull standard.  You can get generic
C source code for the X server from MIT fairly cheap.  You fill in the
low-level graphics an OS routines yourself.

But... It's huge.  It probably takes most of a MEG to run if you include
all of the features.  It might run fairly slow depending on how well you
can wedge in the Amiga hardware.

What's the advantage?  Almost all new graphics software written for
Un*x uses X ( as well as being written in C).  Source code compatibility
is something to be valued.

If you want then, you can run SoftPC (simulate a PC) under X, on which
you can then run Microsoft windows. :-}

A note on standards:  Even if your standard doesn't allow for all the
bells and whistles the Amiga has to offer, wouldn't you rather be able
to run an application with "standard" graphics than not at all?

Just some thoughts...

D.D.

cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson) (11/23/90)

Not wanting to put a dampener on this discussion, but surely Unix/X is the
emerging OS/GUI multi-platform choice. Think about it. On many of the
machines out there, there is a Unix/X option - even if it is not the native
combination. For this reason, I think Commodore have done it just right (by
offering a choice that conforms to this multi-platform "standard")

Perhaps a more interesting observation might be that MicroSoft are genuinely
worried that the enormous development costs they have invested into Windows
will not prove as profitable as they might have hoped. Apart from their
applications, they are left with MS-Dos (most DOS machines can run some
flavour of Unix - good alternative when DOS users 'grow' out of DOS), OS/2 (not
as successful as they originally hoped - what can it really offer that Unix,
and AmigaDOS can't), and Windows (speed/porting problems with 'most' DOS
packages). If I were looking for winning software to invest in, these may
not rate as highly as some that I could find elsewhere in the computing
world. This of course is digressing into speculation - my original point is
that Unix is widely available on most platforms, as is X for windowing, and
OSF/Motif for the look-and-feel. Why bother with Windows?

Cameron Stephenson                     ph. +61 75 951220
Bond University
Gold Coast    Australia

lron (11/24/90)

> In article <1990Nov21.170108.18455@maytag.waterloo.edu>, Eric Giguere writes:

> Other problems:  Windows is more than just a presentation interface, it's
> also pretty much an operating system in itself.  To guarantee portability,
> all this extra stuff would need to ported as well.  On the Mac and the Amiga
> the OS is mostly in ROM, and both OS's are quite different from what Windows
> supports.
>
> Nope, I just don't see it happening...

Neither do I after all windows sits on top of a single tasking OS and can do
some things that on an Amiga would probably cause quite a few problems.
However something like a standard interface developer that works the
same across multiple platforms and is able to generate the code for that
platform.  Then the only extra time would be that necessary to write the
code that does the input and output for that platform.  Just another Idea
to throw around :-)

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (11/25/90)

Personally, I don't think X Windows is a viable solution for the average
Amiga user.  First of all, it's just too big.  My X server running on an
IBM Model 70/386 with 4 megs of RAM is so slow it's painful to use... for
editing I switch over to the Amiga.  Second, X was really meant to work in
a networked environment.  The average home setup is NOT going to have a bunch
of computers hooked up with an Ethernet.  If you don't want (need) transparent
networking, then you don't need X.  Third, you still need other layers on top
of X, like Motif or Open Look, plus a file manager/desktop of some kind.

What about source compatibility?  IMHO, source compatibility means shit to
the average user.  The developers might appreciate it, but if the users have
to suffer with a slow environment just so the developers have an easier time
of it, then the developers have their priorities backwards.  Besides, source
compatibility is never complete.

You know, both the Mac and the Amiga have fairly well-established, thin,
in-ROM presentation interfaces.  Why should the average user on either system
want to use something like X Windows?

--

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) (11/25/90)

In article <2220001@hppad.HP.COM> dolson@hppad.HP.COM (David Dolson) writes:

>You want a standard window system?
>
>Consider XWindows... A really powerfull standard.  You can get generic
>C source code for the X server from MIT fairly cheap.  You fill in the
>low-level graphics an OS routines yourself.
>
>But... It's huge.  It probably takes most of a MEG to run if you include
>all of the features.  It might run fairly slow depending on how well you
>can wedge in the Amiga hardware.

With the succes of Motif (based on XWindows and Presentation Manager with some
others thrown in for good measure) the future of GUI's might have already been
somewhat decided.  There are a lot of applications that are being written with
Motif interfaces.  While I know of no one that has ported the Motif widget set
to the Amiga, XWindows already has been running on top of AmigaDOS for at least
a year thanks to Dale Luck - so running XWindows DOES NOT imply that one must
run Unix(tm) also.

What we wind up with is two interfaces on the Amiga, Intuition and XWindows. I
fail to see why we need to add yet another interface to support?  MS Windows
is a veneer on top of the OS (in this case MS-DOS) that handles things that the
OS can't - things that AmigaDOS already DOES handle.  Do you honestly think
that JUST because the Amiga supported MS Windows there would be a whole slew
of new applications for the Amiga?  MS Windows has been great for sales, but
there still aren't too many applications writtent to take advantage of it...

Just my $0.02 worth,

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ

cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) (12/02/90)

This isn't a flame, just an opinion:
I really don't care for the idea of Windows for the amiga(or mac for that
much). Why should we be the ones to succumb to another OS?  I know
that it sounds like I am a little biased toward the Amiga, but think
about it.  Computer types are like cultures; we should not punish diversity
nor creativity.  It can be compared to telling all countries to speak
English -for if they do not they will be swallowed up and be unproductive.
I think that we should just try to sell our computer for what it is, not
sell out--otherwise we can never be on top.  The only universal
things that I know will help Commodore and the Ami are Unix and X-windows-
which are already being produced.
 Chad

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (12/03/90)

> cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) writes:
> This isn't a flame, just an opinion:
> I really don't care for the idea of Windows for the amiga(or mac for that
> much). Why should we be the ones to succumb to another OS?

First, I don't think there's any worry that Windows will become a
universal OS.  The computer world will have diversity for quite some time.

But since you can already run MSDOS, MacOS, the ST OS, and Unix on the
Amiga... ya might as well throw in Windows or portable OS/2 as well ;-).
Just means more choices.

As far as "why should we be the ones"... well, Amiga owners are 'trapped'
in the same way as Apple owners:  the OS and hardware are available only
from one manufacturer (CBM).  Because no one else _can_ "succumb" to the
Amiga, any OS standardization must come _to_ the Amiga, not from it.

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.172202.28360@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

>As far as "why should we be the ones"... well, Amiga owners are 'trapped'
>in the same way as Apple owners:  the OS and hardware are available only
>from one manufacturer (CBM).  Because no one else _can_ "succumb" to the
>Amiga, any OS standardization must come _to_ the Amiga, not from it.

Of course there are different reasons for this,  Mac OS is only
available from Apple, because they won't let anybody else do it.
Amiga OS is only available from C= because nobody could beat them in
price.   (Although if someone could manage an Amiga portable, It
would be very nice)

                                              Rick Blewitt
					      rblewitt@ucsd.edu

In article <QbK=HOa00WoBQ4F4Ur@andrew.cmu.edu> cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) writes:
>This isn't a flame, just an opinion:
>I really don't care for the idea of Windows for the amiga(or mac for that
>much). Why should we be the ones to succumb to another OS?  I know

	Chad, we are not talking about changing our operating
system. Merely to allow other programs, written for MS Windows,
to operate on the Amiga without much modification by creating a
library which intercepts the calls to MS Windows to do things
such as open a window or create a gadget and instead call the
appropriate Amiga routines. Everything would appear just like an
Amiga program, except it would probably be slow.
	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (12/04/90)

  We all know how messy Windows can be on even the greatest PC but...

No one seems to have mentioned that BerkSoft has been working on GEOS for the
IB*. It is supposed to multitask, besides the fact that it looks beautiful.
Second, it is already on a variety of platforms (3 - Apple II, C64, C128).
Third, it is about 100K!

All in last month's AmigaResource (I think).

Any comments?
:)
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  DToto Productions  DDD Men

In article <1990Dec3.175951.3703@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>No one seems to have mentioned that BerkSoft has been working on GEOS for the
>IB*. It is supposed to multitask, besides the fact that it looks beautiful.
>Second, it is already on a variety of platforms (3 - Apple II, C64, C128).

Yes, I also read some articles about that PC GEOS (it's called something
different, can't remember, perhaps Ensemble). But I fear BerkSoft is a
little late with this development. MS with its windows has already
captured the market. Perhaps they may gain a niche like DR-DOS, but
I don't think they can really overcome Windows.

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (12/05/90)

Their goal is NOT to overcome Windows.  They want to be used with low
end machines, especially notebook types.  It is clear that the software
is aimed at 8088 and 286 machines...
Rob

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (12/05/90)

>Resp: 4 of 4 About: Re: Windows for Amiga?? Maybe!!
><1990Dec3.175951.3703@sbcs.sunysb.edu> [David Tiberio]
>(*Masked*@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu)
>No one seems to have mentioned that BerkSoft has been working on GEOS for the
>IB*. It is supposed to multitask, besides the fact that it looks beautiful.
>Second, it is already on a variety of platforms (3 - Apple II, C64, C128).
>Third, it is about 100K!

Well, the one for MS-DOS is actually compliant with the OS/MOTIF style
guidline from what I can see in the magazine, and yes, it does look good!

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
= The belief that by forcing one to be "Politically Correct" in speech    =
= you can change what one thinks or feels, and so *CONTROL* the thoughts  =
= and bend them to the patterns *YOU* wish is one that George Orwell      =
= would have enjoyed seeing sweep the nation as it has, as predicted.     =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.          =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

ambush@kk4fs.UUCP (Ambush Bug) (12/08/90)

RegardingKurt Tappe's post regarding Windows being ported to the Mac (and
possibly the Amiga, and any other major computer.)

No one who advocates such insanity could have possibly ever actually USED
Windows.
It's like "porting" a Geo Sprint's 3 cylinder Suzuki motor to a Corvette.

Windows is a poor substitute for the Mac's Finder/Multifinder environment.
Especially as it's implimented on the PC.
(There's no lost love for Microsoft here, as I just spent 3 days trying to
get Windows installed on My PC/XT, after spending 30 minutes installing Mac
System 6.0.7 on a new classic, and most of that was spent talking to the
secretary in the office the Mac was in... Only 3 of Microsoft's video
drivers actually worked (CGA, EGA and mono VGA.) One Paradise driver worked,
640x480x256, talk about S-L-O-W.)

Microsoft can hug a root for all I care, portability be damned.

As a side not, interestingly enough, Windows was to be the environment of
the Atari ST, but Microsoft didn't get it in time, and Atari went with GEM
(there's a real mistake. That's like taking a skateboard instead of the Geo
Spring or the Corvette...)

Erik Stiegler.
No Signiture file, it's allin the header anyway.

Windows := a very slow 5 megabyte, multi-tasking game of Solitaire.
With Fish.

ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec3.175951.3703@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>No one seems to have mentioned that BerkSoft has been working on GEOS for the
>IB*. It is supposed to multitask, besides the fact that it looks beautiful.
>Second, it is already on a variety of platforms (3 - Apple II, C64, C128).
>Third, it is about 100K!

Have you actually looked at the way GEOS runs, especially under the C64
(I doubt that the other versions vary).

One: GEOS may appear to have windows, but it really doesn't.  All GEOS
does is provide graphical primatives (line draw, bit-blit) and a bitmap.
It is the application's task to manage drawing something that looks like
a window, but it is nothing more than a graphical box on the screen,
with no overlaying or capability to resize or move without the
application doing the work.  GEOS *does* manage buttons, dialog boxes and
menus, but the way in which it manages them is rather limited.

The GEOS for the PC will have to be GEOS in name only.  The current GEOS
on 6502 machines is entirely unsuited for multitasking (in fact, thr
6502 is entirely unsuited for multitasking), so we can assume that major
changes will have to be made.  I wish Berkeley luck breaking the
MicroSoft fetish so beloved by those people who feel the need to
purchase an MS-DOS box, sad souls that they are :-)

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-9404
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433