[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Emulator for IBM

PYC118%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Rasiel) (12/06/90)

A kind soul has just told me that there IS an Amiga emulator for the IBM PC.
I'd like to know more about this, not that I'm going to buy a PC but I'm just
curious as to what it can do, how much it costs and whether you really could
play Shadow of the Beast or Unreal on it :)      Since many of the Amiga chips
are proprietary, I wonder how legal this board is unless it was done under
Commodore's eyes along with a hefty commision (or is it just an Amiga mother-
board stuck on a card that fits into a PC's belly?).
Also, I'd like to sell an internal drive for a 2000 that is in brand-new, never
installed condition for a mere $60. I'm also willing to trade it for some games
or a 2400 modem or something else entirely.
Rasiel, pyc118@uriacc   Univ. of Rhode Island.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (12/07/90)

I seriosly doubt this. Either:

A) Your friend is pulling your leg.
B) You're thinking backwards, possibly of the BridgeBoard.
C) It is true, but the board sucks really bad because it's _extremely_
   difficult to emulate an Amiga, especially anywhere near real time.

-jph
joseph@valnet.UUCP or ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
IMHO: The "H" means "honest"!

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/08/90)

In article <3cFsT3w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>I seriosly doubt this. Either:
>
>A) Your friend is pulling your leg.
>B) You're thinking backwards, possibly of the BridgeBoard.
>C) It is true, but the board sucks really bad because it's _extremely_
>   difficult to emulate an Amiga, especially anywhere near real time.

The boards ( 3 full size AT-boards if I remember correctly ).
It is expensive and designed mostly to prove that it could be done :-)
I would say the guys who managed to do it deserves a big hand for doing
something so utterly useless. I think they even sold some :-)

Regards, Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

Radagast@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (12/08/90)

>>I seriosly doubt this. Either:
>>
>>A) Your friend is pulling your leg.
>>B) You're thinking backwards, possibly of the BridgeBoard.
>>C) It is true, but the board sucks really bad because it's _extremely_
>>   difficult to emulate an Amiga, especially anywhere near real time.
>>

>The boards ( 3 full size AT-boards if I remember correctly ).
>It is expensive and designed mostly to prove that it could be done :-)
>I would say the guys who managed to do it deserves a big hand for doing
>something so utterly useless. I think they even sold some :-)

Probably referring to the original amiga development platform.  Before the
A1000 came out, the development platform was on IBM-PC's with multiple
cards to bascially be an amiga in a slot (or a few).

You can probably still find these around somewhere.  (I was told that
the original developers platform sold for around $4000.) -kls

vidynath@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (12/10/90)

Interesting coincidence: In the Sunday Columbus Dispatch ad insert for a
discount electronics shop, there is this blurb about "Laser(R) 286/2 AT
compatible". The screen shot shows a Laser moniter showing a hand holding
a disk. This disk has upside down letters. Guess what it says :-)
Oh yeah, underneath it says V1.3.

P.S.: This outfit has start selling the consumer version of the Amiga 500
as well.

--
Vidhyanth Rao			It is the man, not the method, that solves
function.mps.ohio-state.edu	the problem. - Henri Poincare

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf Seibert) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec7.164437.27899@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
[about there existing an Amiga emulator for PCs]
| The boards ( 3 full size AT-boards if I remember correctly ).
| It is expensive and designed mostly to prove that it could be done :-)
| I would say the guys who managed to do it deserves a big hand for doing
| something so utterly useless. I think they even sold some :-)

Well, I hope you _did_ notice that the article was in the April issue
of Amiga Magazin (or something, I don't remember exactly).
And what use would it be. The price 'quoted' was more than an actual
Amiga.

--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg

In article <2544@wn1.sci.kun.nl> rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf Seibert) writes:
>In article <1990Dec7.164437.27899@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
>[about there existing an Amiga emulator for PCs]
>| The boards ( 3 full size AT-boards if I remember correctly ).
>| It is expensive and designed mostly to prove that it could be done :-)
>| I would say the guys who managed to do it deserves a big hand for doing
>| something so utterly useless. I think they even sold some :-)
>
>Well, I hope you _did_ notice that the article was in the April issue
>of Amiga Magazin (or something, I don't remember exactly).

Oh, now I realize, you meant MY article! Someone reading those texts
developed with much beer? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
And it even spreads overseas! I LOVE IT.