[comp.sys.amiga] PasTeX Question

vesty@inmet.inmet.com (11/30/90)

I recently ftp'ed PasTeX and PasTeXextras off of new-xanth. This
system looks great. The only problem is that the documnetation is in
German except for a small short reference manual.

I've been able to figure out how to use everything except DVIprint.
(It would be nice to print out output of a document :> ).

This is what happens:

DVIprint -d 2 file.dvi  ( -d 2 | 3 is for hp deskjet )

causes a memory access guru. Any suggestions?

Also, what is initex used for?

Thanks,
Matt

@utrcgw.utc.com:mark@ardnt1 (mark) (12/03/90)

Note: I am sending this reply for someone here at work that doesn't
      read this group.  He is the TeX "expert", not me.  Direct any
      further questions to Ray.  I'll forward messages to him if
      necessary.

--Mark

| Mark Stucky                         | Email:                               |
| United Technologies Research Center |   mark%ardnt1@utrcgw.utc.com         |
| East Hartford, CT.                  |   mast%utrc@utrcgw.utc.com           |
| My opinions do not necessarily represent the opinions of my employer.      |

on 30 Nov 90 12:24:00 GMT,
vesty <@utrcgw.utc.com:vesty@inmet.inmet.COM> said:

    vesty> I recently ftp'ed PasTeX and PasTeXextras off of new-xanth. This
    vesty> system looks great. The only problem is that the documnetation is in
    vesty> German except for a small short reference manual.

    vesty> I've been able to figure out how to use everything except DVIprint.
    vesty> (It would be nice to print out output of a document :> ).

    vesty> This is what happens:

    vesty> DVIprint -d 2 file.dvi  ( -d 2 | 3 is for hp deskjet )

    vesty> causes a memory access guru. Any suggestions?

    vesty> Also, what is initex used for?

    vesty> Thanks,
    vesty> Matt

on Mon, 3 Dec 90 09:29 EDT,

hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (12/04/90)

In article <29700010@inmet> vesty@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>I recently ftp'ed PasTeX and PasTeXextras off of new-xanth. This
>system looks great. The only problem is that the documnetation is in
>German except for a small short reference manual.
>
>I've been able to figure out how to use everything except DVIprint.
>(It would be nice to print out output of a document :> ).
>
>This is what happens:
>
>DVIprint -d 2 file.dvi  ( -d 2 | 3 is for hp deskjet )
>
>causes a memory access guru. Any suggestions?

Can you send me more information via e-mail.
Version number of the programs, version of you OS, ... the command
line options.

May be a _short_ dvi-file, which causes the crash.

>Also, what is initex used for?

Only to make a format file. That's a memory dump of the internal
arrays of TeX. So, you can parse you favorite macro-packet and make
via '\dump' a dump (format file). Than, you can say virtex to read
in this format file at startup 'virtex &your_format_file your_tex_file'.
That's saves a lot of time.

>Thanks,
>Matt

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp

sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) (12/05/90)

I am interested in a copy of TeX for the amiga. There
seem to be several available on new-xanth, which
should I use ? PasTeX has been mentioned in the
lead-up to this is this the one, Does it have
LaTeX support ?

any help by email please

Cheers

SJR
--
Simon J Raybould    (sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk)            //              {o.o}
                                                    \X/AMIGA           \-/

JFS10@psuvm.psu.edu (Jonathan Swaby) (12/11/90)

I finally have DVIprint working correctly for my printer, but I noticed
that it is doing a lot of font substitution. Where can I get more fonts.
I have Metafont. Is it used to generate fonts, if so can someone provide
a brief example.

THanx   Jonathan Swaby  jfs10@psuvm.psu.edu
                        jswaby@psusun01.psu.edu
                        swaby@zelinski.psu.edu