[comp.sys.amiga] Dnet Question

fredc@usenet.umr.edu (Fred Clauss) (05/08/90)

I am trying to use DNET to connect to a UNIX system on campus, and the
particular hardware they have requires a sequence of ". [wait one second]
<newline> [wait one second] <newline>" following the CONNECT 2400 message
from my modem in order to initialize some operational variables.  Until
this sequence is entered, I do not get a login prompt.

DNET does not seem to be passing this sequence through when I type it
in, so I never get the initial login prompt.  My question is: how can I
either get DNET to send this sequence automatically or to pass it through
when I type it in?  I have AREXX, but have not to date written any AREXX
scripts, so any guidance within that arena would have to be very explicit
(i.e., give me code examples).

	adTHANKSvance,
	-- Fred
--
Fred Clauss                  INTERNET:  fredc@isc.umr.edu (preferred)
Intelligent Systems Center    		or flc@umree.ee.umr.edu

gsgi_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gregory Gibson) (07/08/90)

I was told that you can connect two Amigas together using their serial ports,
and then connect one of those amigas to a modem using its second serial port,
and then using DNET connected to a SUN workstation via the modem, have both
computers sharing the modem connection have a separate tty.  So two people
can log into one workstation, each with their own amiga, sharing the same
modem if one of the Amigas has two serial ports.

Is that true?  I know it is confusing.  If so here is my question.  I just
saw a parallel port amiga to amiga communication program posted to
comp.binaries.amiga.  Now if the above works, can we have the two amigas
talking over their parallel ports and then one of the amigas connected to
the modem via its serial port?

Thanks for taking the time to decode what I've said here and I appreciate
the time it takes to reply via e-mail to my postings...

--

Gregory Gibson
gsgi_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu or  gsgi_ltd@uordbv.bitnet

JFS10@psuvm.psu.edu (Jonathan Swaby) (12/11/90)

I am having problems running Dnet on a SPARCserver 1+ running SUNOS4.1. The
code compiled with no problems, but things just do not seem to work. Fterm
operates correctly, but getfiles and putfiles do not seem to work. I have
been able to get Dnet to run correctly on another SUN machine just by
following the instructions that came with dnet. I have notice when I run
it on the one machine it spawns roughly 3 subprocesses. On the machine
that is giving me problems it spawns perphaps 1 subprocess. I know the
information I have given is vague, so if you there is more information I
can give I am more than willing. I am using an Amiga 1000 with a 2400baud
modem to connect.

Jonathan Swaby       jfs10@psuvm.psu.edu
                     jswaby@psusun01.psu.edu
                     swaby@zelinski.psu.edu

pm0@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Patrick Martin) (12/12/90)

In article <90345.101107JFS10@psuvm.psu.edu> JFS10@psuvm.psu.edu (Jonathan Swaby) writes:
>I am having problems running Dnet on a SPARCserver 1+ running SUNOS4.1. The
>code compiled with no problems, but things just do not seem to work. Fterm
>operates correctly, but getfiles and putfiles do not seem to work. I have
>been able to get Dnet to run correctly on another SUN machine just by
>following the instructions that came with dnet. I have notice when I run
>it on the one machine it spawns roughly 3 subprocesses. On the machine
>that is giving me problems it spawns perphaps 1 subprocess. I know the
>information I have given is vague, so if you there is more information I
>can give I am more than willing. I am using an Amiga 1000 with a 2400baud
>modem to connect.
>
>Jonathan Swaby       jfs10@psuvm.psu.edu
>                     jswaby@psusun01.psu.edu
>                     swaby@zelinski.psu.edu

Did you add the drectory where getfiles and putfiles reside to your path?
Sometimes I lose the path for no apparent reason so I have to type
work:dnet/bin/getfiles -d <dest> -c <source>  to get it to work.

One other thing, if my memory serves me correctly, you also have to have a
directory which is not one of your subdirectories <I believe> which has
dnet.servers and dnet.config in it.

Hope this helped somewhat, it has been awhile since I set dnet up on mys
system.

Pat