[comp.sys.amiga] nroff for the amiga

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (12/05/90)

Is there a PD clone of the UNIX nroff program?

I found a reference to "roff", on Fish disk 14. Does anyone know how
well this runs?

Any other programs out there?

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

stuart@sequoia.cray.com (Stuart Mitchell) (12/07/90)

In article 29991 Dave Lowrey writes:
> Is there a PD clone of the UNIX nroff program?
>
> I found a reference to "roff", on Fish disk 14. Does anyone know how
> well this runs?

Take a look on fish disk 197 - there's a program called Nro, which is an nroff
lookalike, which works fine for me. I've never tried roff, so I can't say
anything about it.
I also noticed that there is the program Proff on fish #9, which is another
nroff clone (there are also some macros for it on fish #46 implementing the
"ms" and "mm" macros).
Unfortunately I can't seem to find a site which still has these old fish disks
still around....anybody know where to get copies of this stuff ?

stuart
stuart@cray.com

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (12/07/90)

In article <050604.27834@timbuk.cray.com> stuart@sequoia.cray.com (Stuart Mitchell) writes:
>I also noticed that there is the program Proff on fish #9, which is another
>nroff clone (there are also some macros for it on fish #46 implementing the
>"ms" and "mm" macros).
>Unfortunately I can't seem to find a site which still has these old fish disks
>still around....anybody know where to get copies of this stuff ?
>
>stuart
>stuart@cray.com

Old fish :-) can be found on:

trantor.umd.edu		128.8.10.14	info-amiga/*	fish 001-350

Enjoy!

 ._.  Udo Schuermann        "How is American beer similar to making love in
 ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu    a canoe?" -- "Both are f***ing close to water."

rdnelson@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger D Nelson) (12/12/90)

I've used proff, and thought it quite effective though limited.  With
the macros for ms and mm it should be great, but I haven't tried them.
Even without, proff does have its own macro building commands, so it
would be possible to make most of what one needs.  As for where to get
the Fish stuff, isn't it possible to order from Fred?

Roger