[comp.sys.amiga] Windowing on the Amiga vs. RISC workstations

mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (12/08/90)

In article <677@storm.UUCP> bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
   Really? I don't think so. Running X on a MIPS magnum or a DEC5100 (with
   whatever ontop of it) blows away the ami. Even the 040 ami and the 040
   NeXT.

I wouldn't bet on that last one. The the DEC 5100 is a figment of your
imagination (unless you've got an EFT of a new machine that I haven't
heard of, which is unlikely - we get them for IFT before they go EFT).
The currenlty released DECStations are the 2100, the 3100, and the
5000/200 line. These use the R2000 @12MHz, @16MHz, and the R3000
@25MHz, respectively. I use the DS3100 on a daily basis (I'm sitting
in front of it now).

It's a killer machine - no question about that. It's the first Unix
workstation I've run into that could consistently shuffle windows
faster than my Amiga 1000. But it doesn't keep up with my Amiga 3000;
not for graphics, at least.

An '040 equipped Amiga 3000 should easily be 2+ times as fast as a
stock Amiga 3000. The DS5000/200 (sans graphics options) is 70% faster
than the DS3100. The '040 based Amiga should blow it away for
graphics. It's even possible that the '040 based Amiga will have a
faster CPU; I've heard quotes on the '040 up to 25 MIPS, whereas DEC
quotes the DS5000/200 at 24 MIPS (once again, I wouldn't bet on that).

Note that the DS5000/200 can have graphics boards added, the high end
being a high-speed i860 (it's possible I've got the wrong intel chip).
That will almost certainly blow away anything you can put on an Amiga.
On the other hand, I could buy 15-20 A3000/40's for the cost of one,
but you can't parallelize graphics that way.

	<mike

--

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (12/12/90)

In article <MWM.90Dec7165806@raven.relay.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>I wouldn't bet on that last one. The the DEC 5100 is a figment of your
>imagination (unless you've got an EFT of a new machine that I haven't
>heard of, which is unlikely - we get them for IFT before they go EFT).

>   whatever ontop of it) blows away the ami. Even the 040 ami and the 040
>   NeXT.

Hmmm, as far as I've heard, there are no '040 Amiga's available yet, either.
Nor are there even any '040 add-on boards available for the Amiga.

It's AMAZING how someone can compare TWO non-existent systems, and state
that one BLOWS AWAY the other, isn't it???  :-)  :-)

Rodney
--
                                                                            ///
                                                                           ///