[comp.sys.amiga] A590 problems

d6sangl@dtek.chalmers.se (Stefan Sanglert) (12/11/90)

I'm posting this for a friend.

Netters,

I have strange problems with my A590.
I first noticed the problem when I tried to run a program, and my Amiga
told me that the file wasn't in object mode.
When I examined the file with NewZap, I noticed that it consisted majorly
of two signs (or letters), one was FF in hex,the other hexnotation I can't
remember right now, but it looked like a dotted square.
The filesize was not changed.

I replaced the file, and thought not much more of it, till a couple of days
later, when I noticed that the same thing had happened with another file,
and another, and ....
I also discovered several read/write errors on the harddisk.
Next time I booted up my machine a requester popped up telling me that
"Key 23046 is already defined"
The disk could not be validiated.
What could I do, but reformating the disk.

After reformating all was normal for a week or so, but now the same
problem starts to show again.

So far I have found object-files, .info-files and text (ASCII)-files
with this symptoms.

Have anyone experienced something liks this?
Any suggestions on the cause of it?

If you reply by email please direct it to:

K85_biorn@tekn01.chalmers.se

Thanks

Bjorn Sandell

david@dogmelb.dog.oz.au (David Le Blanc) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec10.182112.1867@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se>, d6sangl@dtek.chalmers.se (Stefan Sanglert) writes:
> I'm posting this for a friend.

> Netters,
>
> I have strange problems with my A590.
Same here.... If I format it, then copy about 15 to 19 Megs of
*anything* to it from the other drive. I can reliably find any
number of corrupt files using 'cmp dh0: hd0: all' (arp!)

Over time, the A590 corruption grows. I cant be sure its a virus,
but is didn't always happen..... it used to be reliable...
INFACT, the first time I EVER noticed was JUST AFTER updating
the filesystem of my Miniscribe to the 1.3.2 fast file system.....
I havent check to see if it still happens under 2.0, but I'll have
a look.
(or so I imagine.)

> Any suggestions on the cause of it?
Nope... And I have tried replacing the file system with the
1.3.2 FastFileSystem, and it didnt help (didnt fix the
location 0 coruption either....?)

--
Email: david@dogmelb.dog@munnari.oz    |    Division of Geomechanics,
TEL.   (03) 881 1355                   |    CSIRO, P.O. Box 54