[comp.sys.amiga] Monitor Fixes, Are they safe?

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (12/12/90)

Ok, I've piles up all these supposed fixes for my dying 1084, but
what  about  the  hazards of working in the monitor?  Doesn't the
picture tube hold some incredibly high static charge  that  needs
to be drained off?  What I'm really asking is, is it safe to mess
around inside your monitor?

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga         /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (Commodore is starting///  *
*                              *    to know that)  \\\///   *
*                              * and it's about time\XX/    *

QUIT

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (12/12/90)

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:

>Ok, I've piles up all these supposed fixes for my dying 1084, but
>what  about  the  hazards of working in the monitor?  Doesn't the
>picture tube hold some incredibly high static charge  that  needs
>to be drained off?  What I'm really asking is, is it safe to mess
>around inside your monitor?

In order:

1) Yes, there are very real hazards involved in working on monitors.

2) Yes, the CRT (picture tube) is a very good capacitor, designed to
   store 20-30,000 volts. It will hold this charge for WEEKS after you
   turn the monitor off.

3) NO, it is not at all safe to mess around inside your monitor. You can
   be injured or killed by the high voltages present.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com     ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne  (I hope)