[comp.sys.amiga] IFF24 Questions!

jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) (12/12/90)

Anyone:

When asking Dan Baker of CATS for assistance in finding out the format for
24bit IFF files, he forwarded to me a transcript of AmigaMail from
Commodore.  Below we have an excerpt...

   The Standard

   The bit ordering shown below has been chosen as the default for deep ILBMs.
   This is the bit ordering saved by the ASDG color scanner and read by the
   associated ASDG software.  It is also read by Active Circuits image management,
   Targa transfer software and products from other vendors.

   Default standard deep ILBM bit ordering:
   saved first -------------------------------------------------> saved last
   R0 R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7  G0 G1 G2 G3 G4 G5 G6 G7  B0 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6 B7

   Another bit ordering currently in use is shown below.  This is the ordering
   used by NewTek in their Video Toaster, and read by Digipaint III.
   Unfortunately, other developers saving and reading deep ILBMs did not agree
   with this format.  However, since you may want to parse or convert it, the
   NewTek format is as follows:

   NewTek deep ILBM bit ordering:
   saved first ------------------------------------------------------> saved last
   R7 G7 B7  R6 G6 B6  R5 G5 B5  R4 G4 B4 R3 G3 B3  R2 G2 B2  R1 G1 B1  R0 G0 B0

I'm trying to figure out how to interpret this.  My guess is that it says:

(for the ASDG 24bit files)
The body of the ILBM contains:
o One whole plane of data containing the least significant bit of the red
values.
o One whole plane of data containing the next most significant bit of the red
values.

...For all red bits

o One whole plane of data for each of the succesive green bits.
o One whole plane of data for each of the successive blue bits.

(for the NEWTEK video toaster/toaster paint/digipaint III)

o One whole plane of data for the most significant bit of the red bits.
o One whole plane of data for the most sig bit of the green bits.
o One whole plane of data for the most sig bit of the blue bits.

... and so on for the next least most significant bit planes.

Of course each of these successive bit planes are subject to run-length
encoding like all ILBM files.  I believe the format for this group coding
is...

<group> ::=  <HeaderByte><Plane Data>     where

Let the headerByte be N.

o If N is positive then N bytes will follow which should be interpreted as
  normal plane data.
o If N is negative then repeat the next byte -N+1 times.

Can anyone tell me if my assumptions are correct?  Is Newtek still using
their unique version of 24bit rgb ILBM files or have they joined the
ASDG school?

HELP!!!!

Best Regards,

Jim Burnes

It's the man in the White House, the man under the steeple
Passing out drugs to the American people
I don't believe in anything, nothing is free
They're feeding our people that Government Cheese

the RainMakers
Jim Burnes: jburnes@crash.cts.com      mabellnet: (314) 962-2399

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (12/13/90)

In article <6271@crash.cts.com> jburnes@crash.cts.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
>When asking Dan Baker of CATS for assistance in finding out the format for
>24bit IFF files, he forwarded to me a transcript of AmigaMail from
>Commodore.  Below we have an excerpt.....deleted...
>Can anyone tell me if my assumptions are correct?  Is Newtek still using
>their unique version of 24bit rgb ILBM files or have they joined the
>ASDG school?

If I read your article right, you have interpreted it correctly.
However, the NewTek Video Toaster and Toaster Paint do conform to the
standard IFF24 format. You can take any 24 bit image created on the
Toaster and freely read it into other programs that support IFF24
such as ASDG's TAD. I believe the the other format you mentioned is
an old NewTek format supported by DigiView. If you would like some
code that reads compressed and uncompressed IFF24 images, I wrote a
conversion utility for use with the PBMPlus package that will do this.
Drop me a line if you are interested. By the way, you can read an IFF24
image into DigiView and process it, but if you want to convert it to an
image viewable on any Amiga, TAD does a MUCH better job.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |