[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 3000UX questions

hal@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Aaron Harsh) (12/10/90)

  I've been reading this newsgroup lately and all this talk about the 3000UX
has me interested.  I have some basic questions about it:

  1) What kind of resolution does it have in its different display modes.  As
    I recall, the other Amiga's could only do 12 bit color in 320X200 Mode,
    and monochrome 1280*400.  These seem a little low for a workstation, so
    maybe Commodore added some new modes?

  2) How well does it run X?  It has the processor power to make it zip along,
    but is it all tied up in the OS?

  3) How fast is their UNIX?  More specifically, does it bog down the machine
    to the point where it can't do any multimedia?

  4) I know ethernet ports don't come standard.  How much extra are they?  Are
    thick and thin on the same card?

  Could someone also post some general specs about it?

Aaron Harsh
hal@eecs.cs.pdx.edu

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (12/10/90)

In article <884@pdxgate.UUCP>, hal@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Aaron Harsh) writes...

>  I've been reading this newsgroup lately and all this talk about the 3000UX
>has me interested.  I have some basic questions about it:
>
>  1) What kind of resolution does it have in its different display modes.  As
>    I recall, the other Amiga's could only do 12 bit color in 320X200 Mode,
>    and monochrome 1280*400.  These seem a little low for a workstation, so
>    maybe Commodore added some new modes?

I'm not familiar with the 3000ux, my answers apply to the A3000.  You're correct
except that 1280*400 is four color.  There are 24 bit cards available.

>  2) How well does it run X?  It has the processor power to make it zip along,
>    but is it all tied up in the OS?

Faster than a Sun 30.

>  3) How fast is their UNIX?  More specifically, does it bog down the machine
>    to the point where it can't do any multimedia?

I plead ignorance.

>  4) I know ethernet ports don't come standard.  How much extra are they?  Are
>    thick and thin on the same card?

I paid $250.  Yes, both are on same card on CBM/Amerstar.  Other mfgs are
available.

>  Could someone also post some general specs about it?
>
>Aaron Harsh
>hal@eecs.cs.pdx.edu

koverber@hal.tmc.edu (Kurt Overberg) (12/11/90)

	There is a rumor that the University of Lowell has created a
	Hi-Res graphics card that will allow resolution up to ~1200x800
	(Normal workstation screen dimensions).  This will allow X windows
	to be displayed through this card, but not workbench.  I have heard
	that it also displays 256-colors.  Unix probably runs on  a small,
	320x200 mode, while the big monitor is used for traditional X.

							Kurt
--
#include <stddisclaim.h>
+--------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

In article <884@pdxgate.UUCP> hal@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Aaron Harsh) writes:

>  I've been reading this newsgroup lately and all this talk about the 3000UX
>has me interested.  I have some basic questions about it:

>  1) What kind of resolution does it have in its different display modes.  As
>    I recall, the other Amiga's could only do 12 bit color in 320X200 Mode,
>    and monochrome 1280*400.

The main resolutions possibly on any ECS chip Amiga are 320x(200|400) with 32
or a limited 64 colors out of 4096, 640x(200|400) with 16 out of 4096, or
1280x(200|400) with 4 out of 64 colors.  All of there are 15kHz modes, the
horizontal and vertical numbers are all rather variable depending on setup,
and the nominally 400 line modes are interlaced.  There's also 640x480
noninterlaced or 640x960 interlaced at 31kHz with 4 out of 64 colors.  The
A3000 provides as well any of the 15kHz modes with 70ns pixels (eg, all but
the 1280xN modes) at 31kHz as well as 15kHz.  Using the monochrome monitor
(19" from Moniterm, 14" A2024 from C=), a 1000x800 mode with 4 grey levels
is possible (that's primarily what I use).

>  2) How well does it run X?  It has the processor power to make it zip along,
>    but is it all tied up in the OS?

The X under UNIX isn't as zippy as X under AmigaOS, but it's decent as long
as you have enough memory to stay of constant swapping, which of course is the
case with any UNIX machine.

>  3) How fast is their UNIX?  More specifically, does it bog down the machine
>    to the point where it can't do any multimedia?

Compared to AmigaOS, any UNIX machine this side of a Silicon Graphics is bogged
down to much to do multimedia, if you're thinking of actual multimedia that
involves real time response.  I've just played with Amiga UNIX as a casual
user, but it seems to me at least as responsive as any graphical UNIX I've
played with.

>  4) I know ethernet ports don't come standard.  How much extra are they?  Are
>    thick and thin on the same card?

I don't know the official list price, but you do get thin and thick on the
same card.

>Aaron Harsh

		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

rosner@europa.asd.contel.com (John J. Rosner) (12/13/90)

;A3000 provides as well any of the 15kHz modes with 70ns pixels (eg, all but
;the 1280xN modes) at 31kHz as well as 15kHz.

What does "70ns pixel" mean?

Thanks in advance,
--
John J. Rosner