[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaVision Q/A

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (12/13/90)

I have just begun working on some AmigaVision applications and have
two questions I'm hoping to recieve answers on:

1) Realizing that the SMUS format is fairly limited, is there an
   alternative way to play music.  What I'd like to set up is
   AREXX control over a Noisetracker/Soundtracker/MED-type program and
   play songs in the background.  Are there are *tracker programs that
   support AREXX, at least to the point of LOAD/START/STOP controls?
   (And while we're on the subject, is it SMUS that's lame, or just
   software support for SMUS by DMCS?  .mod to SMUS conversion possible?

2) Reading the Commodore spec sheet for AS250 (AmigaVision), it states
   that runtime modules are available.  Does this mean they're being
   worked on?  Will they cost extra?  Are they available yet?  I've seen
   some discussion on this before, but I didn't save that thread.

Thanks

----
Robert Huebner		huebner@aerospace.aero.org
----

prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) (12/13/90)

>  1) Realizing that the SMUS format is fairly limited, is there an
>     alternative way to play music.

I've tried playing Med2.13 tunes using  the execute ICON to fire a
batch file. This works up to the point where I want to stop the
music. I've not had much luck so far in doing it cleanly. I'd like to
see a ST to SMUS file converter if such a thing exists as it would
be nicer to let AV handle all the sound channels.

>  2) Reading the Commodore spec sheet for AS250 (AmigaVision), it states
>    that runtime modules are available.  Does this mean they're being
>    worked on?

The runtime facilities provided are nothing of the sort, its just a
file moving facility. Without a true run time compiler AV is of limited use
for commercial development, just a good presentation and demo tool.
I would hope that someone is working on these issues or AV will just not
be that competitive, it is sufficiently hard to code that some incentive
needs to be provided to encourage use.

manes@vger.nsu.edu (12/13/90)

In article <94271@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) writes:
> I have just begun working on some AmigaVision applications and have
> two questions I'm hoping to recieve answers on:
>
> 1) Realizing that the SMUS format is fairly limited, is there an
>    alternative way to play music.  What I'd like to set up is
>    AREXX control over a Noisetracker/Soundtracker/MED-type program and
>    play songs in the background.  Are there are *tracker programs that
>    support AREXX, at least to the point of LOAD/START/STOP controls?
>    (And while we're on the subject, is it SMUS that's lame, or just
>    software support for SMUS by DMCS?  .mod to SMUS conversion possible?

I don't know whether there is a AREXX controllable version of
NoiseTracker / Soundtracker.

To handle my music needs I like to digitize
whatever music / sounds I want and stay away from the SMUS stuff.

> 2) Reading the Commodore spec sheet for AS250 (AmigaVision), it states
>    that runtime modules are available.  Does this mean they're being
>    worked on?  Will they cost extra?  Are they available yet?  I've seen
>    some discussion on this before, but I didn't save that thread.
>
> Thanks

It does build a runtime, but it is not the kind you might think.  It
will take a AmigaVision flow and copy all the needed parts to disk
(except fonts) for you.  You still need AmigaVision.

The future?  Only C= knows. :-)

> ----
> Robert Huebner		huebner@aerospace.aero.org
> ----