[comp.sys.amiga] Two Questions

rico@oscvax.UUCP (03/18/87)

Q1:
	Has anyone had any experience working with big (40"-50" diagonal)
	monitors or projection TVs on the Amiga?  What sort of loss of
	resolution/picture quality (if any) happens when you switch to a
	big monintor like that.  I am particularly thinking of these two
	monitors:
			Mitsubishi  VS-580RS
			Electrohome PR-0507

	Any comments would be appreciated.  (Please mail if you don't think
	that what you have to say is of general interest)

Q2:
	Has anyone seen Tim King's improved File Handler?  What I would
	like to know is how it interfaces with the existing system so
	that I can write device drivers which will be compatible with it.
	If I create a trackdisk style ram disk will the new handler know
	how to use it?  How will it avoid conflicts with the old file
	handler?  Will it require a completely new Kickstart and hence
	completely take the place of the old file handler?

Q3:
	(I know I said only two questions... I lied.)

	Is there a way that I can tell the existing File-Handler not
	to do *any* buffering for me?  I want to write yet another
	ram disk and I can already see that the file handler will likely
	spend much of its time trying to do me favours that are counter
	productive.  I don't want to write my own file handler because
	then I'd run into all kinds of compatability problems (like
	the current ram: disk has).  Got an answer for this one Carolyn?

	Any info re: any of these questions would be appreciated.

While I'm here, here's a suggestion:

	Try using Matt Dillon's "mwb" program in conjunction with
	Gary Oberbrunner's Workbench Tablecloth "bkdrop".  Leave your
	Workbench Screen as/is (use just for the Workbench) and run your
	CLI/shell/tools from your "Other Workbench Screen".  Sprinkle in
	"morerows" and you have a real win!  (I changed Gary's tablecloth
	pattern to something a little denser, you may want to do that too).

	      -Rico
		{allegra|ihnp4|decvax|watmath|linus}!utzoo!oscvax!rico

			Is ihnp4 not feeling well lately?

--
[NSA food: terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, CIA, secret, decode]
[CSIS food: supermailbox, tuna, fiberglass coffins, Mirabel, microfiche]

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (04/05/87)

A couple of questions for the hardware folks at C-A:

Would it be possible to install a 1/2 length card in the each of the
in-line slots (IBM & Amiga) that are not occupied by the bridge card?

There are plenty of "short slot" cards for the IBM, if someone were to
make a "short slot" card for the Amiga, it seems like the A200 would
then have the use of 3 IBM slots and 4 Amiga slots.

Or is there something in the bus that requires that IBM cards be on the
left side of the bridge card, and Amiga cards on the right?

Second question:

Any truth to the rumors that the A500 and the A2000 have half-brite
chips installed? True or not, what is the status on the half-brite?

I saw the half-brite mode mentioned in one of the third-party Amiga
reference books. Is this a hint of things to come?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

cc1@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <1652@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>Extra halfbrite mode, as its called, exists on revision 6 or greater of the
>Denise chip, which I believe will be in all A500s and A2000s.  For those

Are you sure? I had asked about HALFBRITE a while ago, and was told that it
was put in to some Amiga's (a YEAR ago), then dropped with no plans to
support it in the future. I was also told that it was not possible to
order it or get the chip in any way.

So, commodore, what is the story? Will the HALFBRITE mode be comming back?
If so, can we get it?

(I was told that the reason it was dropped was because they were working
on a chip with more bits per color, and so would be unnecesary.)
      Views expressed here may not be those of the Computer Club, UCLA, or
  anyone in their left OR right mind.  And that's the name o' that tune.

spencer@eris.UUCP (04/11/87)

In article <5489@shemp.UCLA.EDU> cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Gersten) writes:
>In article <1652@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>Extra halfbrite mode, as its called, exists on revision 6 or greater of the
>>Denise chip, which I believe will be in all A500s and A2000s.  For those
>
>Are you sure? I had asked about HALFBRITE a while ago, and was told that it
>was put in to some Amiga's (a YEAR ago), then dropped with no plans to
>support it in the future. I was also told that it was not possible to
>order it or get the chip in any way.
>
>So, commodore, what is the story? Will the HALFBRITE mode be comming back?
>If so, can we get it?
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>(I was told that the reason it was dropped was because they were working
>on a chip with more bits per color, and so would be unnecesary.)

I sort of figured that the reason that it went away was because of people
asking if they could upgrade their Amiga to have Extra Half Bright :')

Actually, that is what I was told.  I don't have EHB on any of my Amigas
(the two at home and this one at work) but if you are right Dave, could
I be signed up for three of those post rev. 6 chips?  Pretty Please???

{well, might as well let Dave feel the heat he brought down on himself.}
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <5489@shemp.UCLA.EDU> cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Gersten) writes:
>In article <1652@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>Extra halfbrite mode, as its called, exists on revision 6 or greater of the
>>Denise chip, which I believe will be in all A500s and A2000s.  For those
>
>Are you sure? I had asked about HALFBRITE a while ago, and was told that it
>was put in to some Amiga's (a YEAR ago), then dropped with no plans to
>support it in the future. I was also told that it was not possible to
>order it or get the chip in any way.
>
>So, commodore, what is the story? Will the HALFBRITE mode be comming back?
>If so, can we get it?

Extra half-bright mode is not officially supported by us in the Denise
chips.  Why ?  Because it prevents us from extending the number
of colors on the chips in a compatible.

And, yes, it is on the Rev 6 and greater Denise chips.  For now.
Its a 'use at own risk' kind of feature.'  It turned out to get in
the way of future expansion.  So officially we don't support it.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore/Amiga		 /or/ pyramid!amiga!andy }

"Do not meddle with the affairs of wizards, for it makes them soggy and hard
to light."

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <5489@shemp.UCLA.EDU> cc1@CS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Gersten) writes:
>In article <1652@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>Extra halfbrite mode, as its called, exists on revision 6 or greater of the
>>Denise chip, which I believe will be in all A500s and A2000s.  For those
>
>Are you sure? I had asked about HALFBRITE a while ago, and was told that it
>was put in to some Amiga's (a YEAR ago), then dropped with no plans to
>support it in the future. I was also told that it was not possible to
>order it or get the chip in any way.
>
>So, commodore, what is the story? Will the HALFBRITE mode be comming back?
>If so, can we get it?
>
>(I was told that the reason it was dropped was because they were working
>on a chip with more bits per color, and so would be unnecesary.)

Well, somebody's confused.  Who did you talk to and when?

Half-brite *is* in Denise R6 and R8.  The two revisions are functionally
interchangable although A500's and A2000's will most likely be manufactured
with R8 chips.

It may be that at the time you asked, the service department had yet to make a
distinction between the R6 chip and earlier versions.  The are more concerened
with stocking replacement parts for service centers than with end user upgrades.

We are working with them to improve this situation...

In article <42@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>Any truth to the rumors that the A500 and the A2000 have half-brite
>chips installed? True or not, what is the status on the half-brite?
>
>I saw the half-brite mode mentioned in one of the third-party Amiga
>reference books. Is this a hint of things to come?

All A500's and A2000's should come with half-brite mode chips installed.
This feature is not well documented since perhaps half the Amiga's shipped
do not have the feature and it is not clear whether future version will
support half-brite or will support some other method of extending the
number of colors displayed.

carlson@betelgeuse (Richard L. Carlson) (04/29/89)

[from .tech]
In article <1018@sas.UUCP> walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
>In article <10384@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
>>First question:  In the same line as the discussion of turning off those
>>obnoxious lattice "ads" -
>WHICH, by the way, are LEGALLY REQUIRED if Lattice is interested at all in
>keeping copyright to the program...

Well, let's be totally honest here... the "obnoxious Lattice ads" are not
legally required; all that is needed is a short, simple copyright notice
that is printed out when you start up the program in the "standard way".
From what I've read, Lattice would not lose one iota of protection if its
notices were just one line long, and disablable by an easy, *documented*
command-line switch.

[p.s. This posting notwithstanding, I'm really quite pleased with Lattice C.]

-- Richard
   {tektronix,dual,sun,decvax,...}!ucbvax!ernie!carlson
   carlson@ernie.berkeley.edu

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (05/04/89)

Hi. I've got an Amiga 500, the extra half-meg, and the lone internal
drive. Developing on such a system is a very unpleasant proposition,
though it can be done with some difficulty (don't even start, Deven).
Such a system is also less than optimal for running a bulletin board,
which is and always has been one of my main purposes in owning a
computer. Now, what I'd like to know is: What is there in terms of
hard disk storage (of 60 Meg or more- I don't even want to hear about
20 Meg drives, as I'd fill those up in a day) for the 500? Would I be
better off buying a random card cage and getting a 2000 HardCard (in
which case I'd like info on those as well)? What can I expect to pay
all told in order to have a 60M development environment? Note also
that I eventually want to go MIDI (my synthesizers are very lonely)
and hopefully obtain a Digiview system..... I don't know if those take
up the expansion slot or what, but I could see it causing problems.

My other question: In a copy of Info I had a few months ago and
subsequently lost, there was a mention in one of those "We went to
such and such a show" articles about a firm in California which will
take an IFF (or was it PostScript? Can't remember) bitmap and print it
out in color and blow it up to a maximum of something like 4x6'. Has
anyone dealt with these people, or does anyone know their pricing or
any other limitations? I haven't seen diddly about them on the net. At
the very least, I'd like their address or phone so I can get more info
from them. Any clues out there?

Thanks a lot.

--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///     "Shooting stars never stop,

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/05/89)

In article <KUDLA.89May4080452@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
   Hi. I've got an Amiga 500, the extra half-meg, and the lone internal
   drive. Developing on such a system is a very unpleasant proposition,
   though it can be done with some difficulty (don't even start, Deven).

heh heh heh...

   Such a system is also less than optimal for running a bulletin board,
   which is and always has been one of my main purposes in owning a
   computer.

To say nothing of trying to develop Amigix while a BBS is *running*??
Damn, must I write an OS-friendly, small BBS first?  [1/2 :-)]  {Lower
priority...  Gimme a year and I might get around to it...}

[...]

Time to trade in the 500 for a 2000, eh?

[Heck, *I* wouldn't mind using it.  :-)]
[[Much rather own my own, of course.  :-(]]

   --
   Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
   Pi-Rho America  \\        ///     "Shooting stars never stop,
   2346 15th St.    \\      ///           even when they reach the top."
   Troy, NY 12180   /X\ \\\///  keywords: mike oldfield yes u2 r.e.m. new order
   (518)271-8624   // \\ \XX/  steely dan f.g.t.h. kate bush .....and even Rush

Deven [Housemate of Rob's, wasting enormous bandwidth for no readily
apparent good reason, but don't bother flaming this one.]

(It's only because it's late, I'm tired and I should have been asleep
hours ago...)

Deven
[I seem to be repeating myself...]
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (05/05/89)

In article <DEVEN.89May5044100@daniel.pawl.rpi.edu> deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) writes:
[He started.]

      Such a system is also less than optimal for running a bulletin board,
      which is and always has been one of my main purposes in owning a
      computer.
   To say nothing of trying to develop Amigix while a BBS is *running*??
   Damn, must I write an OS-friendly, small BBS first?  [1/2 :-)]  {Lower
   priority...  Gimme a year and I might get around to it...}

With a hard drive of decent speed (which would mean no executables
copied to ram: ) there should be no problem running a BBS that I write
(You can write one if you want, but I'd just as soon run one I write
myself) concurrently with an editor such as dme (or even maybe
possibly mg) and/or even possibly Lattice. It'd be easier with a meg
and a half, but with a meg and a hard drive it shouldn't pose a
problem.

   Time to trade in the 500 for a 2000, eh?

Rrrrright. When I've got money. (And of course, part of the reason I
started this chain in the first place was to find out if expansion to
a 2000 was necessary.)

   Deven [Housemate of Rob's, wasting enormous bandwidth for no readily
   apparent good reason, but don't bother flaming this one.]

Rob [Housemate of Deven's, wasting bandwidth as per usual and not
giving a flying f*ck why]

--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///     "Shooting stars never stop,
2346 15th St.    \\      ///           even when they reach the top."
Troy, NY 12180   /X\ \\\///  keywords: mike oldfield yes u2 r.e.m. new order
(518)271-8624   // \\ \XX/  steely dan f.g.t.h. kate bush .....and even Rush

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (10/17/90)

Hallo, folks.  Got just two quick questions for you...

1)  I'm looking for a nice, easy-to-use, INTUITIVE musical editor that I
    can use to incorporate soundtracks into my own programs.  Ideally, I'd
    like to steer away from programs like MED, which force you to talk to
    the computer in its own language, and get much closer to a standard
    musical program that can handle something more akin to normal musical
    notation, or a -translated- version of that notation.  KnowwhutImean?

2)  Has anybody butchered up his/her Amiga 500 and thrown it into a different
    case, like those _terribly_ cute 'Baby Tower' cases that you find PC
    clones in?  How did it work out?  Did you find an acceptable enclosure
    for the orphaned keyboard?  Such a scheme would make hooking up a
    Denise Extender Board and FlickerFixer much more asthetic, and I could
    then get rid of a lot of my extra cabling, you know?

Thanks...

--* Christopher W. Carlson
--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/17/90)

(1) All the musicians I know use DELUXE MUSIC from EA. It's a little long
in the tooth, but it produces standard SMUS files (SONIX doesn't) and it
can do 32nd notes (also, SONIX doesn't).
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) (11/01/90)

Two little questions...

1.  What is the output (physical connector and data rate) of the
    C= deinterlacer card.  Is it 31.5kHz (ie VGA) or is it
    variable (ie Multifrequency), as VGA monitors are *much* cheaper
    to buy than Multifrequency ones (*not* MULTISYNC which is an NEC
    brandname and not necessarily mutifreq [ie 2a]).

2.  What does the error message:
    --
    EXECUTE: No K directive
    execute failed returncode 20

Phil.

--
Phil Kernick                            EMail:  phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au
Departmental Engineer                   Phone:  +618 228 5914

manes@vger.nsu.edu (12/13/90)

In article <9012130033.AA08465@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, i0046145@WATER.FIT.QUT.EDU.AU (Lukacz Alex) writes:
> I have two questions which I hope somebody can answer (sorry if they have been
> asked before):
>
> 1) Can you run AmigaVision on a Kickstart 1.2 A500 with 1meg ram (doesn't have
>    1 meg chip ram, and it has all the old chips : purchased August 1988)

Yes, but barely. You *need* a decent amount of memory to run any decent
sized AmigaVision flows.  It works fine with Kickstart 1.2.

> 2) Has anyone managed to get WB2.0/2.1 running on anything other than the A3000?   If so, can you give details of minimum configurations, memory etc.  I am
>    fairly sure you would need at least 2 meg, but I'm not sure what else.

Gosh, can't comment on that one...

> Thanks in advance for all responses.
>
> Alex.

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

iokraupa@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Ingo Kraupa ) (12/13/90)

i0046145@WATER.FIT.QUT.EDU.AU (Lukacz Alex) writes:

>2) Has anyone managed to get WB2.0/2.1 running on anything other than the A3000?   If so, can you give details of minimum configurations, memory etc.  I am
>   fairly sure you would need at least 2 meg, but I'm not sure what else.

If you want to have best feelings (just like you baught a plain A1000 w/ 256K)
2.0 is really great to use with only 1Meg of memory. My very old 512K expansion
(which is a hack at all, 64 static rams...) in my very old amiga exactly
fits kickstart 2.0 memory needs.
Just don't mount your 200000 memory (mine is not autoconfig either), and do
a little patch to the zkick-program. To use zkick correctly, you must have
200000 autoconfig memory >>1Meg. The way zkick handles loading the kickstart
without breaking the system is the following: zkick allocates as much 64K
large buffers as it needs to fit a 512K kickstart, but any buffer even
partially located in the lowest 512K of mem is marked as bad and freed
afterwords. Thats why you need even more than 1meg of memory.

If your system doesn't know about your 200000 memory, you can load the
kickstart straight on. fread(0x200000,1,524288,stream)... ouch...
Then you have to remove the copy-blocks-to-200000-stuff; that's it. If
anyone is interested I can send the (small) diffs. But I don't think
it makes much sense to work with about 260K of remaining memory (at my
low-end startup). It's just that you can say: it works. And then, removing
your second 256K chip mem, you can truly say there's noone out in the world
running 2.0 with less memory than you (no, I haven't tried :-)

gruPt Hugi

manes@vger.nsu.edu (12/14/90)

In article <3370@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, iokraupa@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Ingo Kraupa ) writes:
> i0046145@WATER.FIT.QUT.EDU.AU (Lukacz Alex) writes:
>
>>2) Has anyone managed to get WB2.0/2.1 running on anything other than the A3000?   If so, can you give details of minimum configurations, memory etc.  I am
>>   fairly sure you would need at least 2 meg, but I'm not sure what else.
>
> If you want to have best feelings (just like you baught a plain A1000 w/ 256K)
> 2.0 is really great to use with only 1Meg of memory. My very old 512K expansion
> (which is a hack at all, 64 static rams...) in my very old amiga exactly
> fits kickstart 2.0 memory needs.
> Just don't mount your 200000 memory (mine is not autoconfig either), and do
> a little patch to the zkick-program. To use zkick correctly, you must have
> 200000 autoconfig memory >>1Meg. The way zkick handles loading the kickstart
> without breaking the system is the following: zkick allocates as much 64K
> large buffers as it needs to fit a 512K kickstart, but any buffer even
> partially located in the lowest 512K of mem is marked as bad and freed
> afterwords. Thats why you need even more than 1meg of memory.
>
> If your system doesn't know about your 200000 memory, you can load the
> kickstart straight on. fread(0x200000,1,524288,stream)... ouch...
> Then you have to remove the copy-blocks-to-200000-stuff; that's it. If
> anyone is interested I can send the (small) diffs. But I don't think
> it makes much sense to work with about 260K of remaining memory (at my
> low-end startup). It's just that you can say: it works. And then, removing
> your second 256K chip mem, you can truly say there's noone out in the world
> running 2.0 with less memory than you (no, I haven't tried :-)

So much for non-disclosure agreements....

> gruPt Hugi

 -mark=

i0046145@WATER.FIT.QUT.EDU.AU (Lukacz Alex) (12/14/90)