[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Coupon Book -- input needed...

	Commodore is looking for input/discussion as to ideas for
products to be included in a "coupon book" directed towards
college/university students and faculty (including K-12).
	The ideas can include hardware and software, and subject
matter should include math, graphic and video design, computer
science and general subjects. And of course games!

	Please try not to suggest every product on the face of
the earth, as will probably happen. Try to think of what the BEST
and most USEFUL products would be to college students and faculty
members.
	Most discussion is hereby directed to the net, however
specific requests should be forwarded to

Fred Holland  holland@cbmvax.commodore.com

	He will be the individual in charge of compiling the
final list. He tries to read the net but doesn't usually keep up.
However it is also useful to keep discussion going here as debate
always brings up important issues.
	Let the message onslaught begin!

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec3.074254.5752@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	Commodore is looking for input/discussion as to ideas for
>products to be included in a "coupon book" directed towards
>college/university students and faculty (including K-12).
>	The ideas can include hardware and software, and subject
>matter should include math, graphic and video design, computer
>science and general subjects. And of course games!

	Books!  It should definitely include discounts on Amiga-related books.
People just starting out with the system need to learn to use it!
	Things like Gold Disk Office come to mind as kind of an all-in-one
package (more at the college and/or faculty level, but the kids might
get some use out of it too).  Obviously some sort of word processor,
paint program, 3D program, etc. are probably called for also.

--
  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (12/04/90)

Ideas for the coupon book:

Provide a list of people/companies that distribute public domain software.

David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions  DDD Men

rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) (12/04/90)

For college students, particularly technically oriented schools, definitely
AmigaTeX.  TeX is becoming well established in universities everywhere, and
it would be a huge plus to have your own version of TeX to use in
conjunction with the school's.

Agitator
  #->

--
   "Caltech -- A Division of     rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu  //  InterNet
       Harvey Mudd"              rolee@hmcvax.bitnet         //   BITNET

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (12/08/90)

G'day,

Ethan Solomita (es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu ) writes:

>    Commodore is looking for input/discussion as to ideas for products
> to be included in a "coupon book" directed towards college/university
> students and faculty (including K-12).

I hope commentary from non US sources (such as myself) can be helpful.

>    Please try not to suggest every product on the face of the earth,
> as will probably happen. Try to think of what the BEST and most USEFUL
> products would be to college students and faculty members.

A temptation almost impossibly difficult to resist. ;-)

                                    . . .

I assume a basic divide and conquer strategy would be applied if the end goal
would be to try to cater for most academic disciplines. { Perhaps not each of
the disciplines that could be a too ambitious/fragmentary approach.}

Perhaps a suggested list of disciplines (or groups of them) should be sugges-
ted.  I'm not sure what to suggest here as I'm not in/from the US.

                                    . . .

I reiterate previous suggestions of AmigaTeX and for Amiga related books (the
suggestion would probably be best if it entitled one to discounts from a book
publisher rather than for specific books such as the RKM's).

I've waited (I'm still waiting) a long time to be able to afford AmigaTeX and
I would be jealous of my American Amiga counterparts if they could get it for
cheaper. :-)

                                    . . .

Suggestions:

Deluxe Paint III for creative arts programs.
some form of Ray Tracing package
Deluxe Video {multimedia needs? is AmigaVision all one needs? :-)}
Distant Suns
the successor for Doug's Maths Aquarium.
Amiga Maple (it is probably too expensive even with discount but ...)
the Video Toaster {yeah! :-)}

I'll quit here. I am suggesting every product on earth! :-)

Disclaimer: I do *not* own these programs.  I'm suggesting those that the net
Amiga community seem to have recommended (as per my recollections). Of course
anyone should feel free to object and perhaps a consensus will emerge as to
the most suitable product for various academic disciplines.

                                    . . .

Ah Question please (apologies to Charlie Chan fans): how many coupons will be
available in the booklet??  Suggestions may be limited if people are thinking
that only a small number of coupons (and hence a small number of suggestions)
are in the works.

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

gdunlap@ecst.csuchico.edu (RANXEROX) (12/09/90)

     LANGUAGES!  LANGUAGES!  LANGUAGES!  LANGUAGES!  LANGUAGES!

     As a college student majoring in Computer Science I can tell you that
a discount on various languages (especially C) would be MOST helpful!  I
really can't afford to fork out ~$200 for a C compiler; it'd be nice if I
could get a discount on one, though.
     Also - and most of you will probably hate this idea - a GOOD Pascal
compiler.  Yeah, yeah, I hate Pascal as much as the rest of you do, but
that doesn't change the fact that comp. sci. students are often REQUIRED
to write programs in Pascal.  I'd really prefer to do it on the Amiga, and
not have to use Turbo Pascal on the Pee Cee (or "pc" on UNIX).  I've tried
using MCC Pascal (Metacomco's version), but that thing SUCKS!  If Commodore
could bet Borland to port Turbo to the Amiga I think it'd help out a lot
of students; Borland gives students a pretty reasonable discount on Turbo,
but those of us who don't have - or want to use - Pee Cees, and find
Transformer too slow to tolerate, are S. O. L.
     I suppose the above would go for Fortran as well - the only Fortran
I'm aware of for the Amiga is A.C. Fortran, and I don't think it's been
updated for quite a while.  I personally have never had the need for a
Fortran on the Ami, but others might.
    Well, that's my $0.02.  Hope it's somehow helpful...

| .  _________  .      _____  .                                             |
|.. /  ______/\  . .  /  _  \   |Greg Dunlap, CSUChico                   ///|
|  /  /\_____\/ .    /  /\\  \ .|Email: gdunlap@cscihp.csuchico.edu     /// |
| /  / /. .____  .  /  / /.\  \ |Disclaimer: Who the hell cares?    \\\///  |
|/  / /.  /  _/\   /  / /. /  /\|Obligatory Quote:                   \XX/   |
|\  \/____/ /\_/ ./  /____/  / /|    "Intuition, however illogical, is      |
|.\________/ /.. /__________/ /.| recognized as a command perogative."      |
| .\_______\/.  .\__________\/ .|  -- Kirk, "Obsession", stardate 3620.7    |
|___________________________________________________________________________|

bn@attcc.UUCP (12/10/90)

I second the previous message.... discounts on good compilers are needed.
I am also a CS major and I try to do as much programming on my amiga
as I can, but often I am forced to go up to school and do it on the VAX
or even (gulp!) IBM 370 (ech!).

Another thing  I find very useful as a college student is my PageStream
text layout program. I've produced some very nice looking papers with it,
and I find it very easy to use.

Bo Najdrovsky

 UUCP: ...uunetttccrshttcclabn
 INET: attcclabn@OCCRSH.ATT.COM

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (12/13/90)

In article <1367@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:
<G'day,
<
<Ethan Solomita (es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu ) writes:
<
<>    Commodore is looking for input/discussion as to ideas for products
<> to be included in a "coupon book" directed towards college/university
<> students and faculty (including K-12).
<
<Suggestions:
<
<Deluxe Paint III for creative arts programs.
<some form of Ray Tracing package
<Deluxe Video {multimedia needs? is AmigaVision all one needs? :-)}
<Distant Suns

Gee, thanks!! (blush blush)

<the successor for Doug's Maths Aquarium.
<Amiga Maple (it is probably too expensive even with discount but ...)
<the Video Toaster {yeah! :-)}
<
<I'll quit here. I am suggesting every product on earth! :-)
<
<
<yours truly,
<Lou Cavallo.

mike

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (12/14/90)

>>    Commodore is looking for input/discussion as to ideas for products
>> to be included in a "coupon book" directed towards college/university
>> students and faculty (including K-12).

     I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth, perhaps they could include the
public domain version of Spice and Splot, though I have no idea of what type
of licencing agreements would have to be struck.

                                   --George