[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaVision on CNN today!! Watch it!

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (12/10/90)

Today on CNN (Sunday the 9th Dec), they had a segment describing how
Atlanta used a Powerful multimedia station to persuade their city into
becoming the next Olympic city.  It had a neat 3d touch panel of the
entire Olympic village.  When one would press a building, all sorts of
information about it would come whizzing by the screen.  Beautiful 3d
graphics, MIDI background sound.  The show was PROFESSIONAL.

Then they described how Georgia Tech put it together.  They explained
about the touch pad, the MIDI equipment, the 2 laserdisks and players,
ans talked about it being driven by two multitasking computers.  But any
amigan could see, that the two computers that were driving it were
A2000's without keyboards.....  :-)

Try to watch it.  One of the neat things with CNN is that they show
segments very often.....

Phil Dietz

<<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    565 MEGS! 2 lines
252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  AMIGA, IBM, MAC, GIFS
    IBM'ers and Mac'ers are shopping for a life.  Amiga the best!

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (12/10/90)

  I saw this too! It was, shall we say, AWESOME! I never thought
Amigavision would be fast enough to handle real-time control.
And those solid-modeled animations were excellent! Especially the one
where it flies around the campus from a helicopter view, and then
moves downward and thru the olympic rings. I wonder if those
animations were done on amiga, or something like an Iris or Sillicon
Graphics.  We Amiga users can now say 'The Amiga helped us win
the 1996 Olympics!' In the spirit of these flame wars,
I wonder why they didn't use a NeXT?

Proud to be an Amiga owner.

(BTW, I also saw CNN about 2 weeks ago showing the Chicago battle-tech
simulators. CNN showed a clip of the internals of the machine, and
what else was inside? An Amiga)

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec09.210816.20342@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>Today on CNN (Sunday the 9th Dec), they had a segment describing how
>Atlanta used a Powerful multimedia station to persuade their city into
>becoming the next Olympic city.  It had a neat 3d touch panel of the
>entire Olympic village.  When one would press a building, all sorts of
>information about it would come whizzing by the screen.  Beautiful 3d
>graphics, MIDI background sound.  The show was PROFESSIONAL.
>
>Then they described how Georgia Tech put it together.  They explained
>about the touch pad, the MIDI equipment, the 2 laserdisks and players,
>ans talked about it being driven by two multitasking computers.  But any
>amigan could see, that the two computers that were driving it were
>A2000's without keyboards.....  :-)

The "segment" in question was the opening story on "Science and
Technology Week".  I don't believe that Amigavision played a role,
however. I could be wrong, though.

The exact wording was " .... two accessory computers. A commercially
available personal computer with multitasking capability integrates
and drives the system."

I take this to mean that there is one Amiga (an A2x00) coordinating
things and that the "accessory" computers are not Amigas. I only saw
the one unit (and I just reran the tape here about 5 times :))

Did my heart good :)

bj

>Phil Dietz

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "My beer comes from farther away than your beer."                   |

sl35746@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (By-Tor) (12/10/90)

Another interesting side-note is that the same day they aired this story,
about a half hour beforehand, they had a story about a cable channel that was
running a show about Iraq.  What computer did they show doing the graphics?
Amiga of course.  Not as interesting as the olympics story, but I was happy
to see an Amiga twice in an hour on CNN!

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/10/90)

I was watching the CNN broadcast of the Olympic village thing and the Amiga
to qutoe CNN...

"All of this was brought together by a multitasking home computer"

NO MENTION OF THE WORD AMIGA OR C=!!!!! NOT ONCE... EVER!!!
AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well, maybe next time... (I knew about the olympic village presentation
before... somewhere in Amiga World or Info....)

csk017@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec09.210816.20342@hoss.unl.edu) Phil Dietz writes:

> Today on CNN (Sunday the 9th Dec), they had a segment describing how
> Atlanta used a Powerful multimedia station to persuade their city into
> becoming the next Olympic city.  It had a neat 3d touch panel of the
> entire Olympic village.  When one would press a building, all sorts of
> information about it would come whizzing by the screen.  Beautiful 3d
> graphics, MIDI background sound.  The show was PROFESSIONAL.
>
> Then they described how Georgia Tech put it together.  They explained
> about the touch pad, the MIDI equipment, the 2 laserdisks and players,
> ans talked about it being driven by two multitasking computers.  But any
> amigan could see, that the two computers that were driving it were
> A2000's without keyboards.....  :-)

> <<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
> Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    565 MEGS! 2 lines
> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  AMIGA, IBM, MAC, GIFS
>     IBM'ers and Mac'ers are shopping for a life.  Amiga the best!

This is all well and good BUT... did they actually _SAY_ that Amigas were
controlling?  There are too many non-amigans out there who won't recognize
a 2000 (even with a keyboard) and that is exactly what we need, more non-amiga
people to realize what our machine can do, and what it could do 5 years ago!

It is not good enough for us to know that the Amiga is being used in many
places... it must be shown to everyone who insists on using the expensive
outdated IBM stuff and the cheaper-then-ever-before-yet-still-way-too-expensive
Macintosh.  Don't get me wrong, I use IBM and Macs in my job, I would just
prefer to be using my Amiga!

I do have one fear about C-A advertising, while I would very much like to see
the Amiga accepted for the capable machine it is I do not want to see adverts
like the nauseating Macintosh adds... It seems I can't open our school news-
paper without being bashed by a full page add about how the Mac can think like
me!  BLECH!  The TV adds are even worse!

We take you now, back to the regularly scheduled next vs amiga, BSD vs SVR4
war.

Brian Heil                                           //  AMIGARGNUGEN
bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu                          //  It's what makes
(csk017@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu temporarily)         \X/  a computer an Amiga!
bheil@scout-po.biz.uiowa.edu

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec9.231409.9014@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>And those solid-modeled animations were excellent! Especially the one
>where it flies around the campus from a helicopter view, and then
>moves downward and thru the olympic rings. I wonder if those
>animations were done on amiga, or something like an Iris or Sillicon
>Graphics.

Most of the 3D graphics was done on SGI machines. The Amigas were used
primarily for music and total system control.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

mcinnis@lll-crg.llnl.gov ( James McInnis) (12/14/90)

In article <16392@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>du>
>
>In article <1990Dec09.210816.20342@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>>ans talked about it being driven by two multitasking computers.  But any
>>amigan could see, that the two computers that were driving it were
>>A2000's without keyboards.....  :-)
>>
>I take this to mean that there is one Amiga (an A2x00) coordinating
>things and that the "accessory" computers are not Amigas. I only saw
>the one unit (and I just reran the tape here about 5 times :))

Here's some info on the Amiga's role in Atlanta's 1996 Summer Olympics
presentation...

Excerpt from Computer Graphics World Dec. 1990
(Reprinted without permission.)

     While the Georgia Tech team combined the capabilities of several
different pieces of hardware to create the multimedia presentation,
only one machine stands out as the star of the delivery system: the Amiga
2500.
     The Amiga was chosen for the delivery system because it can
control the multiple inputs and outputs needed in a multimedia
presentation such as this without slowing down. "This machine was
*designed* to put on a high-impact, video presentation like this," says
[Frank] Vitz. "It has a great, real-time operating system that's
capable of doing at lot of things at once that most PCs are not. The
Amiga actually controls the entire presentation."
     Amiga notable and principal of Blue Ribbon Soundworks (Atlanta)
Todor Fay wrote the software that controls the Olympics presentation.
At the heart of the presentation is the cube-shaped interaction system,
which includes the computer-generated, touch-sensitive,
three-dimensional map of the proposed Olympic village. The translucent
map is lit from below by a projection system, controlled by the Amiga,
that uses graphics generated by a Mac IIcx. Because of the raised
buildings molded into the map, conventional conductive areas or
infrared beams couldn't be used in the touch-activated display.
Instead, an Amiga-controlled, single-board computer in the cube,
programmed by Georgia Tech's Andy Quay and Mike Sinclair, recognizes
the four corners of the surface and registering the exact location of
the input. From this information, the single-board computer calculates
the center of force to determine what information the user would like
to see and sends the information to the Amiga. The Amiga sits behind
the three projection screens and receives these signals through its
RS-232 port.
     The entire presentaion is accompanied by classical music composed
and generated on the Amiga by Melissa Grey, another prinicpal of Blue
Ribbon Soundworks. "It's not digital music, in the sense that it
dosen't sound like digital music," says Edwin Huang, a consultant with
the company. "It is music composed on the Amiga using [Blue Ribbons]
Bars&Pipes program and generated by a Proteus synthesizer."...
     In addition to the music, all of the narration in this
presentation is digitally stored and played on the Amiga. Although
users can currently choose between English and French versions of the
presentation, Vitz says that the system can be programmed for other
languages as well.

Jim

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (12/14/90)

In article <87813@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> mcinnis@lll-crg.llnl.gov ( James McInnis) writes:
>Here's some info on the Amiga's role in Atlanta's 1996 Summer Olympics
>presentation...
>
>Excerpt from Computer Graphics World Dec. 1990
>(Reprinted without permission.)

   [excellent description of the system deleted]

Thanks! My subscription to Computer Graphics World has been lost since I
moved to PA. so I never saw that.  I need to call them.  Nice to see Todor
Fay is still in the mix, too.

>Jim

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "Homer, I couldn't help overhear you warping Bart's mind."          |