[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench 1.3 and 2.0 on the A3000.

maxc1419@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Todd Greene) (12/14/90)

I have read that the A3000 comes with WB 1.3 and 2.0.  Is this simply a
software difference?  If so, if you are under WB 1.3, will you be able to
run the applications that don't run under 2.0 (games, etc.)?  Or, are you
permenantly stuck without upward compatibility?  How about WB 2.1? Is this
anymore compatible?

Thanks,
 The "slowly learning" Amiga owner.

Todd Greene

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.191615.11371@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1419@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Todd Greene) writes:
>I have read that the A3000 comes with WB 1.3 and 2.0.  Is this simply a
>software difference?  If so, if you are under WB 1.3, will you be able to
>run the applications that don't run under 2.0 (games, etc.)?  Or, are you
>permenantly stuck without upward compatibility?  How about WB 2.1? Is this
>anymore compatible?

The difference is software - you can choose which OS to load into the
system at bootup time. The idea of putting 1.3 on the 3000s was for just the
reason you state - software that doesn't run under 2.0 can still be run
on the 3000 (though you'd rather use it under 2.0, of course :-) ) Games are
a different matter - most of them ignore the  OS all together, so they should
run as long as they followed the hardware-programming rules that Commodore
preach. Unfortunately, not all the games do! My favourite, Populous, does not
run on the A3000.

Hope that helps!

Spencer Shanson - Amiga Software Engineer     | email: spence@commodore.COM
                                              | or uunet!cbmvax!spence
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not | "A picture is worth 1000
(necessarily) represent those of Commodore.   | words, or about 300,000