[comp.sys.amiga] protection bits

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (08/25/89)

   A local sysop, Steve Lyons, has noticed that LS mentions
 the protection bits (chsparwed). Protect only seems to know
 about (sparwed). Does anybody know what the (ch) bits are?
   Justin?
   <-Harvey

 "This country is making nuclear weapons like there is no tomorrow."
                                           -Captain PsychoKinesis aka Emo.
     Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

In <438@mindlink.UUCP>, a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>   A local sysop, Steve Lyons, has noticed that LS mentions
> the protection bits (chsparwed). Protect only seems to know
> about (sparwed). Does anybody know what the (ch) bits are?
>   Justin?

I can't for the life of me remember what the 'c' is for, but 'h' is 'hidden'.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (08/28/89)

From article <438@mindlink.UUCP>, by a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor):

>    A local sysop, Steve Lyons, has noticed that LS mentions
>  the protection bits (chsparwed). Protect only seems to know
>  about (sparwed). Does anybody know what the (ch) bits are?

C = comment and H = hidden. LS doesn't show file comments, just
indicates that there is a comment with the C bit (that doesn't really
exist). The H bit was added to 1.3, but there is nothing that uses it as
far as I know. It's supposed to allow a shell to "hide" files that have
the bit set.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

Re: Harvey Taylor's question about ls ...

re: the CH bits ...

C, if displayed, means the file has a comment (e.g. FileNote)
H, if displayed, means the file is "hidden"

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

nishan@uop.edu (Nishan Sandhar) (12/14/90)

Is it advisable to set the various bits to make a file non-readable, non-
deleteable, etc?  Especially on the sys:c directory, some of the devs
directory's files, fonts, etc.

This would most likely protect against viruses, but do programs generally
require a certain status for some of these files?

Please reply via e-mail, and I'll post a summary if there is interest.

|   Nishan Sandhar |  University of the Pacific  |
|   nishan@uop.edu |  Stockton, CA  95211        |