[comp.sys.amiga] paintjet

dand@oxy.edu (Daniel D. Fineman) (12/13/90)

IBM [required booing here] is offering an edu discount
on the H-P paintjet. Their price is 799. Is this a good
deal?
Is there another color printer for my 500+501+etc I
should consider?
Dan

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (12/13/90)

In article <132879@tiger.oxy.edu> dand@oxy.edu (Daniel D. Fineman) writes:
>IBM [required booing here] is offering an edu discount
>on the H-P paintjet. Their price is 799. Is this a good
>deal?
>Is there another color printer for my 500+501+etc I
>should consider?
>Dan

It sounds like a good deal - most mail order places advertise between
900 and 1000 dollars. Its probably the best color printer in that price
range. As you can see from my header I am unaffiliated with HP(unless
you believe those rumors spread during the spring :3) :3) :3)    ).

coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (12/13/90)

dand@oxy.edu (Daniel D. Fineman) writes:

>IBM [required booing here] is offering an edu discount
>on the H-P paintjet. Their price is 799. Is this a good
>deal?
>Is there another color printer for my 500+501+etc I
>should consider?
>Dan

Price is better than from HP at SDSU here ($865 ?), but beware the
better quality PaintJet XL has come down in  price on the street to
just above $900, depends what you need, XL also has AppleTalk and
seperate ink bottles for 4 colors.
Price is GOOD , again, is it avail. anywhere else?

David

--
/*****************************************************************************/
/*    David Tse      Internet: coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (expire 12/31/90)    */

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (12/14/90)

Price is better than from HP at SDSU here ($865 ?), but beware the
better quality PaintJet XL has come down in  price on the street to
just above $900, depends what you need, XL also has AppleTalk and
seperate ink bottles for 4 colors.
Price is GOOD , again, is it avail. anywhere else?

David

	Hi David....   wondering where did you get that information???
	I just checked with our Computer Products Rep who explained
	to me that there are TWO versions of the Paintjet XL... one
	for PC's, clones, Amiga's, etc...  and another version designed
	for use with Mac... and the LIST price for that unit is over $3000,
	so I can't imagine a street price of around $900....  If there
	is, I'd buy it myself! :-)   Perhaps you are thinking of the
	Mac Writer version of the HP DeskJet... that's the 300 dpi B&W
	printer....

	-Mike Powell-

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/14/90)

$799 for the Paintjet is a VERY good price (list $1499). It's a GREAT color
printer, but you'd better also get a good 9- or 24-pinner for text. Not that
the Deskjet does a bad job on text; it looks great for 180 by 180, but the
paper, which is about $18 for 250 sheets, and which you MUST use, is the big
problem with the Paintjet as a primary printer. You can't currently buy a
better printer for color...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.edu