[comp.sys.amiga] Oberon compiler package

genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) (12/11/90)

Hi folks.  I FTPed the file Oberon1-16.lzh (or something like that)
from abcfd20, which turned out to be a demo version of a very promising
looking Oberon compiler package (successor? to Modula-2).

Has anyone out there actually bought the real thing?  Care to comment?
Is it available in languages other than German (which is what a lot of
the docs/text appear to be written in)?

And the big one:

Where can I get it and how much does it cost ?  (The package contains a
snail-mail address, but I'd prefer to find out electronically because it's
more fun, and because I'm too lazy to write a letter :-)

Thanks,

---------            \
Mark Stephens         \    "Now comes the moment of great, great decision
DSIR Physical Sciences \/\   The doctor is making his first incision"
Wellington                \     - "Lady Godiva's Operation"
New Zealand.               \        Velvet Underground

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/11/90)

In article <GENIE.90Dec11145246@zephyr.zephyr.dsir.govt.nz> genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) writes:
>Hi folks.  I FTPed the file Oberon1-16.lzh (or something like that)
>from abcfd20, which turned out to be a demo version of a very promising
>looking Oberon compiler package (successor? to Modula-2).
>
>Has anyone out there actually bought the real thing?  Care to comment?
>Is it available in languages other than German (which is what a lot of
>the docs/text appear to be written in)?
>
>And the big one:
>
>Where can I get it and how much does it cost ?  (The package contains a
>snail-mail address, but I'd prefer to find out electronically because it's
>more fun, and because I'm too lazy to write a letter :-)
>
>Thanks,

There are no commercially available Oberon packages yet. I have heard that the
demo version will be expanded though. There should be a working compiler
available pretty soon after the mac and sparc versions are finished.

/Jorgen

Disclaimer: This is PURE hearsay --> untreated manure for some :-)

email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

horneff@ikki.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Martin Horneffer) (12/12/90)

genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) writes:

>Has anyone out there actually bought the real thing?  Care to comment?

Yes. I did.
It's a nice thing. The compiler makes fast and compact code. It allows
easy access to all the Amiga's libraries, devices, hardware, ...
It uses the standard A/BLink compatible object-format, so you can
mix C-, Oberon- and Assembler Code in one program.
You can easily make your own libraries, devices, etc without using
any Assembler-code.

>Where can I get it and how much does it cost ?  (The package contains a
>snail-mail address, but I'd prefer to find out electronically because it's
>more fun, and because I'm too lazy to write a letter :-)

Well, I think you HAVE to use snail-mail...
But I'm sure there is an English Version of the Compiler.

--
Martin Horneffer | horneff@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.d
                 | 2:242/7.9 @ FidoNet
                 | Maus AC AC2 SU

genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) (12/12/90)

Hi again.

In article <1990Dec11.133406.25543@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
   In article <GENIE.90Dec11145246@zephyr.zephyr.dsir.govt.nz> genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) writes:
   >Hi folks.  I FTPed the file Oberon1-16.lzh (or something like that)
   >from abcfd20, which turned out to be a demo version of a very promising
   >looking Oberon compiler package (successor? to Modula-2).
   >
   >Has anyone out there actually bought the real thing?  Care to comment?
   >Is it available in languages other than German (which is what a lot of
   >the docs/text appear to be written in)?

   There are no commercially available Oberon packages yet. I have heard that the
   demo version will be expanded though. There should be a working compiler
   available pretty soon after the mac and sparc versions are finished.

   /Jorgen

Sorry, I didn't really make my intentions clear in my post, but I'm not
particularly interested in the whole Oberon operating system for the Amiga
(I've got the Sparc one), only in this particular compiler package because
it seems to integrate the Oberon *language* very nicely into AmigaDOS (makes
all the OS calls available, for example).  I just want it as a systems
programming language for AmigaDOS.

--------              \
Mark Stephens          \     "Man and machine share in the stimulating
DSIR Physical Sciences  \/\    exchange of ... Aaarrgghhh!"
Wellington                 \    - Eddie the computer
New Zealand                 \

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/14/90)

In article <horneff.661007105@ikki> horneff@ikki.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Martin Horneffer) writes:
>genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) writes:
>
>>Has anyone out there actually bought the real thing?  Care to comment?
>
>Yes. I did.
>It's a nice thing. The compiler makes fast and compact code. It allows
>easy access to all the Amiga's libraries, devices, hardware, ...
>It uses the standard A/BLink compatible object-format, so you can
>mix C-, Oberon- and Assembler Code in one program.
>You can easily make your own libraries, devices, etc without using
>any Assembler-code.
>
>>Where can I get it and how much does it cost ?  (The package contains a
>>snail-mail address, but I'd prefer to find out electronically because it's
>>more fun, and because I'm too lazy to write a letter :-)
>
>Well, I think you HAVE to use snail-mail...
>But I'm sure there is an English Version of the Compiler.

I'm not sure about the Amiga, BUT I know Oberon is available in
English for the Mac.  I also remember that it is FREE.  You just
need to mail the authors (in Switzerland if I remember correctly).
Nice little (well, not so little) package.

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org (Walter Mildenberger) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec11.133406.25543@cs.umu.se>, J|rgen Holmberg writes:

|There are no commercially available Oberon packages yet. I have heard that the
|demo version will be expanded though. There should be a working compiler
|available pretty soon after the mac and sparc versions are finished.

Wrongo!

The Oberon-Compiler by Friedjof Seibert IS OUT since at least Beginning of
November. Please don't spread wrong "facts".
But sorry, I dunno 'bout how good it works, or even 'bout an english version.
I know (well, per e-mail :-) ) a few ppl. already working w/ Oberon, so I may
direct questions to them...

In article <2876@polari.UUCP>, dave oliphant writes:

|Mr. Siebert did not include any pricing information for this software.

This package costs SFr 270 or DM 342, about US$ 230 (or less if the $$ is getting
stronger ;-) )

|If anyone knows how to contact A+L AG over USENET, I would be grateful for
|this information.

Dunno, but I don't think so.

Regards
---
Walter Mildenberger, Morgenstr. 55, W-7500 Karlsruhe 1, FRG
SubNet: wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org ****** Voice: +49 721 385090
BitNet: 2 b announced soon * Discl.: none, I speak 4 myself