[comp.sys.amiga] Shaky screen on 3000 power-up.

lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Shannon Lawson) (12/15/90)

Brian Wright writes:

> I had the machine off for about a day and a half a few days ago.  I noticed
> that when I turned the machine on I got some shaking of random places on
> the screen.  It's really hard to describe.  It isn't the monitor.  When I
> turn the monitor on after about a day and a half this doesn't happen (while
> the 3000 is on).  Only when the machine has been off and turned back on for
> a longer period than 24 hours.  This shaking only lasts for about a minute
> or so until the 3000 gets warm.
>
>      My questions are...Is this something to worry about?  Should this be
> happening?  Most importantly, should this be serviced?  Thanks in advance
> for any advice, help, info.....
>
> -Brian Wright
> -wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu

Brian, I've had the same problem myself.  There is a user-adjustable control
in the rear of your A3000.  It is accessible through the hole just to the left
of the display enhancer switch (as you are facing the rear of the machine).
In your "Using the System Software" manual which came with the machine, you
should find a screwdriver-like apparatus about 3.5" long.  It is hexagonal in
cross-section.  If you rotate the trimmer capacitor control in the recessed
hole a tiny bit between power-ups, you should (over a period of several days,
no doubt) be able to eliminate or minimize the problem.  If the problem seems
to get worse, simply reverse the direction of your adjustments.  You will
probably want to monitor (no pun intended) the amount of your adjustments so
that you can zero in on the correct setting.  It worked for me!

Good luck.

--
  Shannon Lawson
  Senior, Computer Engineering