[comp.sys.amiga] now what?

dgg@dandelion.CI.COM (Dave Grubbs) (03/01/88)

I have two problems.  Random GURU messages and Hard Disk installation.
I'd really appreciate a comment or two.  As usual, use electronic mail
unless the info is of general importance.

I went and bought a hard-disk.  I bought it from my friendly dealer, from
whom I earlier purchased an A2000 to replace my A1000.  I had 2Meg of
Microbotics RAM, for which I bought the $40 adapter to allow its insertion
into the A2000.

Now for the problem.  The A2000 has worked OK for a while, but every so
often, say once per hour, it crashes on me.  The "vt100" program does it
occasionally, INFOCOM games do it occasionally, demos and other junk from
the net do it occasionally, but DPAINT II is the winner.  I have never
exited from DPAINT II.  It always crashes the machine after an hour or so.

I don't have power glitches (The power is stable and I have a "power
conditioner"), temperature changes or wild parties in the floppy drives.

None of the small programs I've written (compiled with MANX 3.4) have ever
ever done this.  But then I haven't written anything large and I don't
allocate a lot of data.

My first question is: Could this be a memory problem?  If so, how do I
find out?  How does one attack a problem like this?  (I am real good
at software, but the hardware I have always used is handled by the
DEC/SUN/APOLLO/IBM field engineers.)

vt100, when it crashes always produces GURU:	00000003.00C0270A

Other random GURU's:				00000003.00204700
						00000004.00218AD8
						00000003.00147040

DPaint II is crazy:	00000003.0020C290	00000003.0020C3D8
			00000004.0020C888	00000004.00C0482E (twice)
			0000000B.0020F010	00000004.0020EEF8
			00000004.0020FF58	00000004.002056E8
			00000004.0020C618	0000000A.002056E8

What the hell?

The second problem is equally confusing, but more expensive.  If I can't make
the hard disk work, I will toss this Amiga out my window or light a $4000
bonfire.

I got a Miniscribe 8438 30Meg drive.

Problem #1:	It is only 30Meg when using RLL and the 2090 controller can
		only deal with MFM format.  So I have a fast 20Meg hard disk.
		Is there anything I have to do to set "MFM"?  Nothing is
		very clear in their manual.

Problem #2:	The damn disk says it can be configured to be units 1 to 4.
		The Amiga manual says it should be unit 0.  (which is mapped
		to "Unit" 1 in the devs/Mountlist file.)  Is this just a
		manufacturer's difference in whether they use ordinal or
		cardinal numbers, a fencepost error, or brain-damage?

Problem #3:	I ran the "Install" program on the disk.  It crashed my
		machine, so I tried to reboot it.  Every time it rebooted
		it crashed.  So I booted off another disk and removed the
		"hddisk" files from the	Expansion drawer.  The next boot
		off that disk worked fine.

		So I decided to walk through the install script by hand.
		"binddrivers" crashed my machine 16 out of 20 trials.
		After the four which worked, "mount RES0:" worked properly,
		and if I tried it a second time, I got the "already mounted"
		message.

		Then "prep" killed the machine in 3 of the remaining 4.
		On the second of the four, I got a "NOT Preped" message.

		Every time the "binddrivers" or "prep" command is executed,
		I hear the drive rattle (the LED doesn't seem to do anything)
		but the machine crashes most of the time.  Random pattern.

		Some GURU's from binddrivers and Prep: (some are the same!)
		3.00147040	3.0021B80C	B.00C050A8 (twice)
		4.0020F86C	B.0020F86C	3.0020F86C (six times)
		B.00C0274A (four times)

Then I gave up.  Any help would be appreciated.

David G. Grubbs		Work phone: 617-667-4800
UUCP:  ..!{mit-eddie,talcott,necntc}!dandelion!dgg
Internet: dgg@dandelion.ci.com (or dgg@athena.mit.edu, which still works)

In article <4269@dandelion.CI.COM> dgg@dandelion.CI.COM (Dave Grubbs) writes:
>I have two problems.  Random GURU messages and Hard Disk installation.
>I'd really appreciate a comment or two.  As usual, use electronic mail
>unless the info is of general importance.
>I went and bought a hard-disk.  I bought it from my friendly dealer, from
>whom I earlier purchased an A2000 to replace my A1000.  I had 2Meg of
                                                               ^^^^
>Microbotics RAM, for which I bought the $40 adapter to allow its insertion
>into the A2000.

>Now for the problem.  The A2000 has worked OK for a while, but every so
>often, say once per hour, it crashes on me.  The "vt100" program does it
>occasionally, INFOCOM games do it occasionally, demos and other junk from
>the net do it occasionally, but DPAINT II is the winner.  I have never
>exited from DPAINT II.  It always crashes the machine after an hour or so.

>My first question is: Could this be a memory problem?

I THINK SO!

>If so, how do I
>find out?  How does one attack a problem like this?  (I am real good
>at software, but the hardware I have always used is handled by the
>DEC/SUN/APOLLO/IBM field engineers.)

Ask Microbotics to send you a program to check memory.  I have an ASDG 8MI
and routinely run the check program.  The program should be smart enough to
tell you WHICH chip on the board is bad. Note that the Amiga has no parity
checking. On an IBM PC a parity error produces an error code on the screen.
On an Amiga it usually produces an Address error (code 03) or Illegal
Instruction (code 04) which produces the GURU message.

>vt100, when it crashes always produces GURU:	00000003.00C0270A
                                                      ^^
					THIS IS IT! Address error
>Other random GURU's:				00000003.00204700
>						00000004.00218AD8
						      ^^
					THIS IS ALSO IT: Illegal instruction.
>						00000003.00147040

Good luck.

-- Marco

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (03/01/88)

In article <4269@dandelion.CI.COM> dgg@dandelion.CI.COM (Dave Grubbs) writes:
>I have two problems.  Random GURU messages and Hard Disk installation.

>My first question is: Could this be a memory problem?  If so, how do I
>find out?  How does one attack a problem like this?  (I am real good

Contact Microbotics; I'm not sure, but I believe that they
have a fix for this;  (it way be another unrelated problem
they have a fix for; but you never know)

>I got a Miniscribe 8438 30Meg drive.

>Problem #3:	I ran the "Install" program on the disk.  It crashed my
>		machine, so I tried to reboot it.  Every time it rebooted
>		it crashed.  So I booted off another disk and removed the
>		"hddisk" files from the	Expansion drawer.  The next boot
>		off that disk worked fine.

With no hddisk.device, you aren't accomplishing anything.  The Amiga
can't talk to the hard disk.  I suggest you put them back, and try it
without the memory card in place.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/02/88)

In article <4269@dandelion.CI.COM> dgg@dandelion.UUCP writes:
>I have two problems.  Random GURU messages and Hard Disk installation.
>I'd really appreciate a comment or two.  As usual, use electronic mail
>unless the info is of general importance.
>The second problem is equally confusing, but more expensive.  If I can't make
>the hard disk work, I will toss this Amiga out my window or light a $4000
>bonfire.
>
>I got a Miniscribe 8438 30Meg drive.
>
>Problem #1:	It is only 30Meg when using RLL and the 2090 controller can
>		only deal with MFM format.  So I have a fast 20Meg hard disk.
>		Is there anything I have to do to set "MFM"?  Nothing is
>		very clear in their manual.

The only to make it work as an RLL drive is to either buy someone else's
controller which explicilty states they support RLL or for around $100,
but an Adaptec ACB4070 SCSI->ST506/RLL adapter and hook the drive up as
a SCSI device instead.

Are you running Prep with your memory board installed? Sounds like you may
have a flaky connection in there somewhere - try using the drive without
the memory board plugged in - then try putting the board in a different
slot - you never know where those problems are lurking...

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Phillip Ghormley) (03/06/88)

In article <4269@dandelion.CI.COM>, dgg@dandelion.CI.COM (Dave Grubbs) writes:
>Problem #1:	It is only 30Meg when using RLL and the 2090 controller can
>		only deal with MFM format.  So I have a fast 20Meg hard disk.
>		Is there anything I have to do to set "MFM"?  Nothing is
>		very clear in their manual.

Pardon my invincible naivity, but what is RLL and MFM and how do you tell
which type a given hard drive is?  I thought all hard disks would work with
the A2090.  No?  (While we're at it, is there an upper limit to what the 2090
can controll?  i.e. 60Megs)  Any other peculiarities?

-Doug Ghormley
 (dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu)

In article <oWA4lWy00V4E89s0OA@andrew.cmu.edu> dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Phillip Ghormley) writes:

>In article <4269@dandelion.CI.COM>, dgg@dandelion.CI.COM (Dave Grubbs) writes:
>>Problem #1:	It is only 30Meg when using RLL and the 2090 controller can
>>		only deal with MFM format.  So I have a fast 20Meg hard disk.
>>		Is there anything I have to do to set "MFM"?  Nothing is
>>		very clear in their manual.
>
>Pardon my invincible naivity, but what is RLL and MFM and how do you tell
>which type a given hard drive is?  I thought all hard disks would work with
>the A2090.  No?

MFM and RLL (Run Length Limited) generally refer to both the controller and
the drive.  Quoting the Seagate Installation Handbook:

"To achieve full performance with an MFM drive you must use an MFM controller
which operates the ST412/MFM interface at 5.0 megabitssec.  ... Operation of
an MFM drive with an RLL controller is not approved by Seagate and may void
your warranty".

"To achieve full performance with ann RLL drive you must use and RLL controller
whichj operates the ST412/RLL interface at 7.5 megabits/sec. Only drives
with an R appended to the product nuber are designed and certified for use
with an RLL controller. ... Operation of an RLL drive at data rates other
than 7.5 megabits/sec. or operation of an RLL drive with an MFM controller
is not approved by Seagate and may void your warranty."

The Commodore A2090 Hard Disk controller is ST506/ST412/MFM and SCSI (ANSI
X3T9.2) compatible.  It is not ST412/RLL compatible.  In general taking
two drives with the same UNFORMATTED capacity, one RLL and one MFM, the RLL
drive will have a larger FORMATTED capacity.  Also, in general, using an
RLL drive with an MFM controller might work, IF AND ONLY IF the drive has
had an MFM LOW-LEVEL FORMATTING.  Using an RLL drive that has been LOW-LEVEL
FORMATTED with RLL won't work with an MFM drive.  As you see from above,
Seagate does NOT "approve" this and doing it will void your Seagate warranty.

The viceversa, using an MFM drive with an RLL controller, will NEVER work.

Seagate drives, for example, come low-level preformatted at the factory, with
an included bad block table.  The ST251, and 40 M MFM drive, comes MFM
low-level preformatted. The ST238R, and 31M RLL drive, comes RLL low-level
preformatted.

Moreover, for optimum performance, ST412/MFM drives REQUIRE write
precompensation, while RLL and SCSI drives don't.

> (While we're at it, is there an upper limit to what the 2090
>can control?  i.e. 60Megs)  Any other peculiarities?

The current hddisk.device driver supplied with the A2090 controller has a
built-in limit of about 54 Meg (or something close to that) PER PARTITION.
Therefore, if you have a large capacity drive, let's say 120 Meg, PREP'it
with multiple partitions.  This is also a good idea in general, since it
will cut down the seek time, if a file is scattered throughout the drive.

I hope this clears the question a bit.

-- Marco

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (03/09/88)

In article <7434@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

> [Lots of really useful stuff about drives deleted]
>
>The current hddisk.device driver supplied with the A2090 controller has a
>built-in limit of about 54 Meg (or something close to that) PER PARTITION.

Nope!  The 54 Meg limit is imposed by the filesystem, not by the driver.

	Steve

In article <3437@cbmvax.UUCP> steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) writes:
>In article <7434@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>
>> [Lots of really useful stuff about drives deleted]
>>
>>The current hddisk.device driver supplied with the A2090 controller has a
>>built-in limit of about 54 Meg (or something close to that) PER PARTITION.
>>
>Nope!  The 54 Meg limit is imposed by the filesystem, not by the driver.

Thanks for correcting me, but I am still puzzled.

The reason I assumed that the problem was with the hddsisk.device was because
of the following line that I quote from the dos 1.2 upgrade info that we
(developers) got:

"More than 26 bitmaps are now supported, so that disks >54Mbytes are OK".

So, who is at fault?  The 1.2 SFS (Slow File System)? AmigaDos 1.2?
Also, will FFS and SFS under 1.3 support >54Mbytes disks?

-- Marco

jesup@pawl10.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (03/10/88)

In article <7512@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>The reason I assumed that the problem was with the hddsisk.device was because
>of the following line that I quote from the dos 1.2 upgrade info that we
>(developers) got:
>
>"More than 26 bitmaps are now supported, so that disks >54Mbytes are OK".
>
>So, who is at fault?  The 1.2 SFS (Slow File System)? AmigaDos 1.2?
>Also, will FFS and SFS under 1.3 support >54Mbytes disks?

	They did fix the bitmap limit in 1.2.  Unfortunately, the addition
of the archive bit caused writes to the root directory to trash the
pointer to bitmaps beyond 26.  So for 1.2 SFS the limit remains.

The FFS under 1.3 will support 2 gig disks (this is verified).  The SFS under
1.3 will still have the 54 meg problem, as it is in ROM.  I suspect that
it will be fixed in 1.4, when they redo the ROMs.

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (03/11/88)

In article <3437@cbmvax.UUCP> steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) writes:
>In article <7434@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>
>>The current hddisk.device driver supplied with the A2090 controller has a
>>built-in limit of about 54 Meg (or something close to that) PER PARTITION.
>>
>Nope!  The 54 Meg limit is imposed by the filesystem, not by the driver.
>
>	Steve

On a related note: Is it true that there is a limit of 8 surfaces (heads)
for hard drives?  If so, is this limit imposed by the 2090 controller,
or something else?  This sounds like something that can't be fixed by just
creating more partitions.

	Thank you.
--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (03/12/88)

In article <7512@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>The reason I assumed that the problem was with the hddsisk.device was because
>of the following line that I quote from the dos 1.2 upgrade info that we
>(developers) got:
>
>"More than 26 bitmaps are now supported, so that disks >54Mbytes are OK".
>
>So, who is at fault?  The 1.2 SFS (Slow File System)? AmigaDos 1.2?
>Also, will FFS and SFS under 1.3 support >54Mbytes disks?
>
>-- Marco

OK, the 54 Megabyte limit for hard disk partitions is true for the following:-

	1.2	Slow File System
	1.3	Slow File System

The 54 Megabyte limit is/will be removed from the following:-

	1.3	Fast File System
	1.4	Fast File System
	1.4	Slow File System

Don't ask me for dates on 1.4 because I don't have the foggiest idea and even
if I did, I wouldn't be able to tell you anyway.  1.3 is in gamma testing now.

	Steve

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (03/12/88)

In article <3457@cbmvax.UUCP> steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) writes:
>	1.3	Fast File System
>	1.4	Fast File System
>	1.4	Slow File System

Boy, I thought I had this version/update/numbering scheme down pat.  Does
this imply that FFS is *not* all around better?  Is it only for hard drives?

Ken Chiu

perley@mazda.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (03/13/88)

In article <3457@cbmvax.UUCP> steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) writes:
>>-- Marco
>
>OK, the 54 Megabyte limit for hard disk partitions is true for the following:-
>
>	1.2	Slow File System
>	1.3	Slow File System
>
>The 54 Megabyte limit is/will be removed from the following:-
>
>	1.3	Fast File System
>	1.4	Fast File System
>	1.4	Slow File System

Slow File System in 1.3 and 1.4? Is that for days when you just don't want
instant gratification?  Or is it for floppy disk I/O?

I could live with a 54 meg partition limit on my floppy disks, at least
until 1.4 :-)

-Don Perley

My system will call your system..... and they'll do lunch!

In article <9907@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> perley@mazda.UUCP (Donald P Perley) writes:
>Slow File System in 1.3 and 1.4? Is that for days when you just don't want
>instant gratification?  Or is it for floppy disk I/O?

SFS is for floppies and the FIRST partition of a hard disk. At least for 1.3.

-- Marco

jesup@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (03/17/88)

>On a related note: Is it true that there is a limit of 8 surfaces (heads)
>for hard drives?  If so, is this limit imposed by the 2090 controller,
>or something else?  This sounds like something that can't be fixed by just
>creating more partitions.

	The A2090 can only handle 8 heads on each ST506 drive (the original
maximum).  The drives with > 8 heads use a line that was for something else
as a head address line.  The A2090 can handle any size SCSI drive.  The
limitation on ST-506 drives is because of the standard chipset being used.

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

jdmst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John D Morris) (12/15/90)

	I recently installed two more megs of memory into my A-500 for a
total of 2.5 megs.  Are there any PD or Shareware programs that make use
of extra memory (and do it well).  Anims, Utilities...GAMES...anything.
If you know of any, could you please E-mail me the info?
							Thanx
						jdmst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu
		 					Hawk