[comp.sys.amiga] Help! I need Imagine.pic!

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (12/13/90)

     Okay, the long wait was over.  I ripped open the beautiful package, instal
led IMAGINE on my hard drive, and ran the bastard.
     It hopped into the first screen with the title bar, and then right back to
the Workbench.  I was, to say the lease, miffed.
     So I called the company.  They said that I needed the file "Imagine.pic"
and that the one on my distribution disk was probably trashed.  So what does
this mean?  Simple.

     Will some kind soul who has a working copy of either 0.9 or 1.0 Imagine
PLEASE uuencode and send me a copy of the file IMAGINE.PIC?
     I have the permission of the company to do this, so it's legit.  If nobody
can do it, I have to send the distribution disk back to them and wait another 2
weeks before I can run my program!  So, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

     Send to DEB110 @ PSUVM.PSU.EDU  thank you so much!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "It's so neat to |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | see an AMIGA say |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |   "Welcome to    |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   Macintosh""    |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  | ---- AMIGA ----  |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (12/14/90)

In article <90347.104727DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

>     Okay, the long wait was over.  I ripped open the beautiful package, instal
>led IMAGINE on my hard drive, and ran the bastard.
>     It hopped into the first screen with the title bar, and then right back to
>the Workbench.  I was, to say the lease, miffed.
>     So I called the company.  They said that I needed the file "Imagine.pic"
>and that the one on my distribution disk was probably trashed.  So what does
>this mean?  Simple.

This is my one gripe with Imagine:  the startup screen HAS to be present
in order to run the program.  Without it, the program will load without
a problem, but will abort once it realizes the picture isn't there.

My first reaction to this was "Dumb, dumb, DUMB!"  Then I called Impulse
and talked to a customer support person.  When I asked about making the
picture display optional, the person said (a pretty close quote):
 "We're going to leave it as it is.  We want it to act like that and
  may eventually hardwire [??] it in and use it as a form of copy
  protection [!!!!!!!!!!!!]"

Needless to say, I am not amused.

--
Dave Schreiber                                    davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu
                                or (but not both) davids@ucscb.ucsc.edu

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (12/15/90)

Wouldn't it be easier to just make a dummy pic file and call it Imagine.pic
and put it in your config directory for Imagine.pic instead of waiting for a
new Imagine.pic?

I copied my original disk and installed from a copy.  I still have the
original in original shape AND a backup copy just in case.  I had the same
problem happen to me so I recopied the Original disk and reinstalled the
program and all is fine..was probably a floppy drive glitch.

BTW, Imagine is WONDERFUL!  I find it a joy to use and it's VERY powerful.

A couple of changes I would like to see would be to get rid of that darn
Imagine.pic.  I hate waiting for it to write to the screen before I can start
working.  Second, I would like the see the manuals bound differently.  They
are perfect bound I think (I don't know the terminology) and they absolutely
will not lie flat on a desk or anywhere else for that matter.  It makes it
difficult to read AND work on the computer at the same time.  Since I am into
using Hot-keys for everything, I usually need both hands free to get the menu
items selected with the hot keys.  Can't hold the manual open and use 2 button
hot keys..especially when one is the right-amiga and the other is on the other
side of the keyboard.

Does anyone know how I can use a function key for Add Axis?  I find I do that
alot but I don't believe you can setup a function key for a sub-menu item.

Has anyone heard whether Impulse is going to support Renderman?  Would be
great to have AmigaRenderman!

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854