[comp.sys.amiga] Maple

ricko@well.UUCP (Richard J Otter) (09/15/87)

Has anyone heard of the symbolic mathematics program called Maple ? Apparently,
its being distributed by the University of Waterloo and is available
for the Amiga. Is it free like kermit or high priced like Math CAD ?
It sounds like what I've been waiting for !

grwalter@watmath.UUCP (09/16/87)

In article <3952@well.UUCP> ricko@well.UUCP (Richard J Otter) writes:

>Has anyone heard of the symbolic mathematics program called Maple ? Apparently,
>its being distributed by the University of Waterloo and is available
>for the Amiga. Is it free like kermit or high priced like Math CAD ?
>It sounds like what I've been waiting for !

There is a version available for the AMIGA.

Unless I am mistaken it costs $590 in Canadian dollars.
There is a 50% discount for accredited educational institutions.

A short description of maple is as follows :

     Maple has the ability to algebraically manipulate unbounded integers,
     exact rational numbers, real numbers with arbitrary precision,
     symbolic formulae, polynomials, sets, lists, and equations.
     It can solve systems of equations, differentiate formulae,
     and integrate formulae.

For more information (ie. minimum memory configuration, etc) send email to
	maple@watmath.UUCP
	maple%watmath@waterloo.CSNET
	maple@watdcs.BITNET

I'm not associated with the maple group here, nor do I have maple on
my AMIGA. I just use maple every now and then whilst doing assignments for
courses and I think it's neat.

	fred

rico@oscvax.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <3952@well.UUCP> ricko@well.UUCP (Richard J Otter) writes:

>Has anyone heard of the symbolic mathematics program called Maple ? Apparently,
>its being distributed by the University of Waterloo and is available
>for the Amiga. Is it free like kermit or high priced like Math CAD ?
>It sounds like what I've been waiting for !

I've sure have heard of it, I just finished (about a month ago) porting
Maple 4.0 to the Amiga.

Maple is a product of the Symbolic Computation Group at The University of
Waterloo (of which I am a student).

For those who don't know about Maple or other such languages (e.g.  MACSYMA,
REDUCE, etc.)  Maple is capable of working with arbitrary length integers,
and performing exact rational arithmetic.  In addition to this, Maple
can work with "symbols" to perform operations on algebraic expressions
for instance you could type:

# differentiate x squared with respect to x
>diff(x^2,x);
					2 x

# integrate the previous result wrt x
>int(",x);
					 2

# compute a big number  (720 factorial)
>720!;
		< you get lotsa output >

I could post a sample session if there is interest.

Anyways, Amiga Maple comes on 5 disks

	1  -- executables
	3  -- libraries
	1  -- help files

You can get (for the cost of the media) 5 more disks

	3  -- library sources
	2  -- Maple tests + test results

It is an EXTENSIVE (can you say BIG!) expandable system.  Most of Maple is
written in Maple, it is this portion that you get in the library sources.
You don't get the sources to the kernel.

You need at least 1.5 megabytes of total memory if you want to do meaningful
computations with Maple.  You don't need a hard disk drive (I *ported*
it without using one) but it does make your life easier.  If you don't
have a hard disk drive then 2 floppys are a MUST.  It's not protected so
you can make backups to your hearts delight.  Needless to say if you
install it on your hard drive it will take up a wholesome amount of
space (you have to copy the 5 basic disks to the drive, plus the sources
if you want to modify the libraries as well as doing your own programming).

I beleive that Fred Walter had the prices right ($580, 1/2 off for educationals
sales) but I'm not sure.  I try to remain ignorant of these things.

Feel free to mail me questions about the Amiga version, if you have questions
about Maple in general you might be better off sending them to:

	maple@watmath.waterloo.edu

If you have very specific questions like "how does the difforms package handle
polynomials whose degree is an unknown" I'll just shrug and pass them along to
someone who knows better...

	-Rico
		rico@oscvax

DISCLAIMER:  The Ontario Science Centre has nothing to do with Maple or my
	     work with Maple, or this article, or any other article, or the
	     colour of my shoes, or etc.  Leave them alone.
--
[NSA food: terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, CIA, secret, decode]
[CSIS food: supermailbox, tuna, fiberglass coffins, Mirabel, microfiche]

mwh_adev@jhunix.UUCP (JHU UNIX Development Group) (09/20/87)

I would have thought that Maple was too big for an Amiga (it simply *eats*
resources, both CPU and memory, on JHU's VAX-8600.  But I, too, would
*love* to hear about an Amiga version!

					Jon Kay

rmariani@watmum.UUCP (09/20/87)

In article <5281@jhunix.UUCP> mwh_adev@jhunix.UUCP (JHU UNIX Development Group) writes:
>I would have thought that Maple was too big for an Amiga (it simply *eats*
>resources, both CPU and memory, on JHU's VAX-8600.  But I, too, would
>*love* to hear about an Amiga version!
>
>					Jon Kay

Nope it's not too big (if you have some extra memory).  I've been using
it for many weeks now.  I imagine that you can't do computations that
are quite as big as you could on an 8600, but for the most part, all
that happens is that Maple ends up doing more garbage collections than
it would need to on a '785 or '8600.  Speedwise, Amiga Maple is about
1/4 the speed of a '785 (1/8th the speed of an 8600 I guess).  If you
need more speed, I imagine that it would run fine on a Turbo Amiga...
say there's an idea!  Now where am I going to get the $$ for a 68020
board :-(

PS.  Maple also runs on the Mac Plus under MPW.

	-Rico (visiting Waterloo this weekend)

jpff@draken.nada.kth.se (John Fitch) (09/21/87)

You might like to check out REDUCE as well.  Should run with little problem
and cost is similar to Maple; REDUCE has been around for longer.

==John ffitch

I am connected to the REDUCE community

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (09/22/88)

Does anybody know if Maple is available on the Amiga.  If so could
you give me the source, price, and any pertaining comments as to
the Amiga implementation.  Thanks.
--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) (09/24/88)

In article <217@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:

>Does anybody know if Maple is available on the Amiga.  If so could
>you give me the source, price, and any pertaining comments as to
>the Amiga implementation.  Thanks.
>--
>					-+= SAM =+-
>				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

This question comes up with some frequency.  Perhaps it (and its answer)
should be added to the beginner's/omnibus posting.  I can't supply many
details, but you can get answers on pricing and availability by calling:

	WATCOM Products @ (519)886-3700

Technical questions should be addressed to:

	maple@watmath.uucp
	maple@watmath.waterloo.edu
	maple@watmath.uwaterloo.ca

laird@violet.berkeley.edu (09/25/88)

(A response to question on the availability of the Maple computer
algebra system for the Amiga)
In article <8658@watdragon.waterloo.edu> kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) writes:
>...I can't supply many details, but you can get answers on pricing and
>availability by calling:
>
>	WATCOM Products @ (519)886-3700
   Maple (version 4.2) distribution for the Amiga is not being handled by
WATCOM Products, but by:
	Symbolic Computation Group
	The Department of Computer Science
	The University of Waterloo
	Waterloo, Ontario   N2L 3G1
	(519)888-4474
(WATCOM Products handles Maple distribution for larger computer systems.)
   This latest version of Maple for the Amiga requires at least 1Mb RAM
and ~10Mb free space on hard disk.  There are substantial discounts for
educational and research institutions.

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (02/02/90)

Can anyone tell me if about Maples plotting capabilities?
How nice are the graphics? Can it take an external file
and plot it?

 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
 Room 274 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 INTERNET: jea@cvs.rochester.edu or  ur-cvsvax!jea@cvs.rochester.edu

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (02/05/90)

	Can Maple do everything that Mathematica can with the exception of
Mathematica's graphing capabilities?  I would just like some more information
about Maple in more detail that you gave - sounds like an interesting package.
Where can Maple be obtained from?

James

kpicott@sapporo%alias.UUCP (Kevin Picott) (05/03/90)

Yes MAPLE does exist on the Amiga, but a word of warning:  pricing is
set at $475 (CDN), so unless you're
into some serious equation-crunching you might want to think twice.
(Prices for bigger computers run into
K's of dollars.)

-- Socrates --

elessar@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenneth E. Lareau) (06/30/90)

   Well, after the glorious success with the Common Lisp question, I have
another that's been on my mind, though I'm certain this can be answered
in the positive. I'm looking to purchase Maple v4.2 or v4.3 (v4.3 pre-
ferrably) for my Amiga...I've tried to send a message to Waterloo, the
university that makes the program, but can't seem to be able to get  a
message through. If anyone could give me specifics, or a working e-mail
address, I'd be much appreciated.

Ken Lareau
elessar@pawl.rpi.edu

farhi@athena.mit.edu (Bill Hoston) (09/23/90)

Sorry if this has been seen.  I have had trouble posting it.

Every now and then someone requests information or a review of Maple,
a symbolic manipulation package that is available for the Amiga.
Despite all my best intentions to write a review of some kind, I have
yet to do so.  For those who would like information on the package,
look at the September issue of the Notices of the American
Mathematical Society.  On page 861 an article by Barry Simon (Caltech
mathematical physicist) compares Derive, Macsyma, Maple and
Mathematica on IBM platforms.  This is a follow-up to his review in
the May issue of PC Magazine.  It includes the problems he used to test the
systems, the methods used to solve the problems and timings.  The
versions tested were those available around January (note the version
of Maple tested is the one presently available for the Amiga, v4.2).
This is an excellent introduction to the use of Maple and some of its
many features.

I feel I should point out one of the features of Maple that is not
often mentioned.  All of the routines that Maple uses are coded in its
internal language (the one the user uses to create his/her own
functions) and the source to all of these is included with the
distribution.  This makes it very easy to modify code to meet specific
needs.  (This also explains why 10M of hard-drive space is
recommended.  Only 1M of ram is required.  Of course, the more you have the
better.)

--
	Bill Hoston
	farhi@athena.mit.edu

--
	Bill Hoston
	farhi@athena.mit.edu

cs40f024@deneb (11/28/90)

Can somebody post some info onto the net about Maple for the Amiga, such as
cost (ed. discount??) and features.

Pat...

In article <9354@aggie.ucdavis.edu> cs40f024@deneb () writes:
>Can somebody post some info onto the net about Maple for the Amiga, such as
>cost (ed. discount??) and features.

	Features? You want it, it does it.
	Maple V isn't out yet, and is predicted as coming out
1Q91. Currently there is 4.2. The cost is $400 for the first and
$100 per additional site license (until you hit 21 or so sites,
then it gets cheaper). The additional licenses do not include
manuals. Extra manuals are $40 each.
	There is a 90 day free upgrade period. So if you buy
January 1 and the update comes out on time version V will be
free. However for the rest of the first year upgrading is 60% of
cost of buying new. This leads me to want to wait until V is
actually released.
	If you, and anyone else, are interested, PLEASE write to
jbrennan@daisy.waterloo.edu and ask her what I asked: if we wait
until Jan.1 and buy then, even if it is late we get the free
upgrade. This way we don't have to wait 3-5 months to buy. I
think this helps them as well as us.

>Pat...

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

Michael.Witbrock@CS.CMU.EDU (12/13/90)

Hi, I just got Maple 4.2 (a symbolic math program) and stuck it on my
Amiga.
It's not bad (especially considering that it's free - Carnegie Mellon
has a site licence), but
the formula output is  not exactly tex standard, and the graphics are
ascii in a console window.

So, what I want to know is: is there an upgrade, and if not, I'd like to
make a suggestion:

make a little upgrade. add an Arexx port to it, and add an unformatted
output option. Then one could use external programs to dop the plotting,
and to make the formulae look nice, and it's be a lot more  Amigalike
(using IPC and multiple processes).

Michael

In article <wbNjGmq00XNIMFUcc8@cs.cmu.edu> Michael.Witbrock@CS.CMU.EDU writes:

>Hi, I just got Maple 4.2 (a symbolic math program) and stuck it on my
>Amiga.
>It's not bad (especially considering that it's free - Carnegie Mellon
>has a site licence), but
>the formula output is  not exactly tex standard, and the graphics are
>ascii in a console window.
>
>So, what I want to know is: is there an upgrade, and if not, I'd like to
>make a suggestion:

	Not only is there an upgrade, there is an ENORMOUS
upgrade, including TeX and Postscript output and 3-D graphics,
etc., but it is FREE. Release date is 1st quarter 91.

hugh@kink.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (12/15/90)

>Hi, I just got Maple 4.2 (a symbolic math program) and stuck it on my
>Amiga.
>the formula output is	not exactly tex standard, and the graphics are

It's not?  It looks a little ugly sometimes due to extra braces and a
lack of fancy indenting, but it's standard LaTeX.  If some memory
usage messages get interleaved with the LaTeX output you have to
remove them by hand, but aside from that, everything works just fine.

>ascii in a console window.

Aha, it sounds like you haven't read the Amiga specific documentation.
(or even the standard documentation in paper or online form).  You
have to set the plotdevice to whatever output device you want.	The
best one for Amiga screen output is "amigahi" for a high res screen.
for printer output or a PostScript previewer, write it as postscript
and you'll get much better resolution.

>So, what I want to know is: is there an upgrade, and if not, I'd like to

Maple V should be available for the Amiga by spring.

>make a little upgrade. add an Arexx port to it, and add an unformatted
>output option. Then one could use external programs to dop the plotting,

What do you mean unformatted?  What's the problem with the ASCII,
LaTeX and FORTRAN equation output options?

>and to make the formulae look nice, and it's be a lot more  Amigalike
>(using IPC and multiple processes).

The port of Maple V is being modelled after the X11 version.

--
# Hugh D. Gamble    No Disclaimers.					      %
# hugh@kink.UUCP  hugh@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca				      %

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) (12/15/90)

hugh@kink.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) writes:

>Aha, it sounds like you haven't read the Amiga specific documentation.
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>(or even the standard documentation in paper or online form).  You
>have to set the plotdevice to whatever output device you want.	The
>best one for Amiga screen output is "amigahi" for a high res screen.
>for printer output or a PostScript previewer, write it as postscript
>and you'll get much better resolution.

Aha! I bought my copy of Maple (for on-campus use only) through my university.
It came with no Amiga-specific documentation at all. It came on 4 disks
in compressed form with a decompressor program on one of the disks. It
took me a while to figure out (trial and error) how to decode the disks
in the first place.
I saw your note and tried setting plotdevice to amigahi... it worked! I
wonder what else might be Amiga-specific and how one might obtain the
documentation. (It took my university (Illinois) a while to figure out
there was an Amiga version in the first place
(I'm the only one on campus to ever request one)).

Thanks,
Richard
gerber@rigel.astro.uiuc.edu
ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu