[comp.sys.amiga] Scanners

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (05/25/90)

  Hello Perry.  I just purchased the Sharp JX 100 scanner and am very
impresssed with your software.  Everything looks terrific.  I have a question
though, actually two since you migh not have seen my other one on amiga.hdwe.
First, in the scanner manual it states that the JX 100 can achieve resolution
up to 400 DPI but it's really a psuedo type of mode in that it is not really
400 DPI but somehow the software or firmware does somwething to get the
(seemingly) extra resolution. My question is:  Is this anything that you can
do in your Scanlab software to achieve these results, even 300 DPI would be
fine so that I can get 300 DPI output on the laser at full scanned size?  Are
you working on an update to the scanlab 100 software?  The secone question is
about your dual serial board.  I now need another serial port to hook up the
scanner to permanently.  I have seen yours for $299 and one from Checkpoint
Technologies for $199.  The question is:  Why is yours $100 more?  (actually a
couple of other questions also).  How easy is it adapt the software to use the
serial board?  WIll it go fast enough to keep up with the JX Scanner at 115K
BPS?  Thank you for any help you can give.

bga@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Bruce Albrecht) (05/25/90)

I don't know how the scanners send the data up to the computer, but I'm
surprised that they don't compress the image.  After all, anything with a
lot of whitespace is not going to need 1 Mbyte+ for a compressed image.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!bga
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!bga@nosc.mil
INET: bga@pnet51.orb.mn.org

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (05/26/90)

In article <2801@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:

>Hello Perry.  I just purchased the Sharp JX 100 scanner and am very
>impresssed with your software.  Everything looks terrific.

Thanks much. We aim to please.

>I have a question
>First, in the scanner manual it states that the JX 100 can achieve resolution
>up to 400 DPI but it's really a psuedo type of mode in that it is not really
>400 DPI but somehow the software or firmware does somwething to get the
>(seemingly) extra resolution. My question is:  Is this anything that you can
>do in your Scanlab software to achieve these results,

The JX-100 can basically replicate pixels as at scans. The basic optical
resolution of the device is 200 DPI. When scanning at the 400 DPI ``mode''
you're just getting every pixel four times.

>even 300 DPI would be
>fine so that I can get 300 DPI output on the laser at full scanned size?

This impression is very common but is mistaken. The mistake is that you are
counting dots as dots even though the JX-100 delivers dots with far more
information than your printer can print.

To Wit: At 200 DPI in gray scale the JX-100 delivers 64 true shades of gray
which is equivalent to 1600 DPI of monochrome dots. That is, a monochrome
printer such as your laser printer will combine an 8 by 8 grid of black
or white dots together to approximate the shading of one JX-100 dot.

Therefore, a 200 DPI gray scale scan is more than enough resolution to
overdrive any 300 DPI laser printer. It's all in the dots, man.

>Are
>you working on an update to the scanlab 100 software?

Yes, it is called The Art Department. Seriously, ScanLab/100 is
marketed directly by Sharp Electronics.  A mandate for improvements
to ScanLab/100 must come from them as they pay the bills.

>The secone question is
>about your dual serial board.  I now need another serial port to hook up the
>scanner to permanently.  I have seen yours for $299 and one from Checkpoint
>Technologies for $199.  The question is:  Why is yours $100 more?

Actually, the list price of the Dual Serial Board is $249 not $299. I believe
the list price of the CheckPoint board is also $249 but I could be mistaken.
Apart from that, they are both fine boards.

>(actually a
>couple of other questions also).  How easy is it adapt the software to use the
>serial board?  WIll it go fast enough to keep up with the JX Scanner at 115K
>BPS?  Thank you for any help you can give.

In order to go as fast as we go in the scanner software, we must go directly
to the hardware. Even allowing vertical blank interrupts was enough to cause
missed characters at 115,200 baud (which is the scanner's top operational
speed). It would not be feasible to support expansion serial boards since
each would require its own unique driver code inside the scanner program
since we must go directly to the hardware of each board.

Thanks for the interest.

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (12/16/90)

Im interested in getting a scanner <although not too anxious right now.>
Approximately how much do good color or b&w ones cost for the A500? What soft-
ware would I need to convert the images to IFF ones, or are they atomatically
made into IFF images?
thanks in advance. Also where can I get a printer driver editor or a printer
driver for an okidata 180 <similar to the 120>??? i need one in the next month
or else im up shits creek. Thanks in advance again.

 o                             o   | This Space For Rent                     //
<< md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  | Amerikkka's Most Wanted               \X/
/>                             <\  | I made up my own mind, now I want a Tshirt
Chi Omega Rho Fraternity. Because Co-Ed is better.