[comp.sys.amiga] DCTV & Colorburst. Are there others?

wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) (12/12/90)

Hello,
     I am interested in 24 bit color capabilities.  I do not have more than
about $600 to spend.  I can't afford a Toaster or Firecracker, so I am
interested in MAST's Colorburst system AND DCTV.  Both are the same price.
$495 retail.  MAST's system has 1.5 megs and is TRUE 24 Bitplanes.  DCTV uses
a decompression system and uses Hue, Saturation and Value on a pixel basis.
DCTV relies on Amiga's Memory.  Ham-E is out of the question.  The resolution
is just too low.

What I am wondering... Are there any other systems that are about $600 that
offer similar capabilities to DCTV and Colorburst?  I would prefer something
internal.  I would prefer the output of the device to be RGB rather than NTSC
composite.  As of late external devices seem to be cheaper than the internal
cards in terms of graphics (HAM-E, DCTV, Colorburst vs. Firecracker, Toaster,
Ulowell).  Does anyone have any comments on these?  If you feel that your
comments are of interest to everyone please post them, otherwise please
E-mail your responses to wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu.  Thanks in advance...

-Brian Wright
-wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (12/17/90)

There are two other devices at around the $600 mark: Mimetic's FrameBuffer,
and Pyramid Video's Spectrum.

I've seen the FrameBuffer selling for about $419 in the Everything for
Commodore computers, or whatever the title is.  This is without the memory (1M
80ns DIP) needed to make it work, so add another $70-80 or so.

The Spectrum used to be made by Impulse under the name VD-1.  Supposedly the
design has been upgraded, but I'm not sure if they've added RGB output.  The
last spec I saw on the VD-1 was something like 512 x 482.  It also does
slow-scan digitizing.

The FrameBuffer does real-time framecapture with an optional plug-in chipset
(about $150), and has a resolution of 764 x 484 at 21bpp out of 24.

Unless Pyramid Video has changed the VD-1 drastically, both devices only
support NTSC out, and aren't capable of realtime painting.  The FrameBuffer is
a Zorro ][ card, while the Spectrum is an external device.  It has a retail of
$699, but you should be able to find it cheaper.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |