[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA BOOKS...

msg@dciem.UUCP (Marc Grushcow) (01/30/87)

[line eater bait]

I know that this has been asked before, and apologies, but....

Could someone(s) please send me a list of their favourite Amiga books
re: OS, C programming, graphics and sound interface, etc...
along with their ccomments.

Thanks in advance.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
|       Marc Grushcow, NTT SYSTEMS INC.             |
|          {decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!msg   |
|       or uw-beaver!utcsri!dciem!msg               |
|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|

--

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
|       Marc Grushcow, NTT SYSTEMS INC.             |
|          {decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!msg   |
|       or uw-beaver!utcsri!dciem!msg               |
|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|

eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) (03/01/89)

In the last week, I've purchased 'The Amiga Companion' (local amiga shop)
and 'The Programmers Guide to the Amiga' (University Bookshop).

	-They're both very readable, and informative.
	-I like them.

Thank you Rob Peck.  I'm looking forward to future works.

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (03/02/89)

In article <590@godot.psc.edu>, eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) writes:

> In the last week, I've purchased 'The Amiga Companion' (local amiga shop)
> and 'The Programmers Guide to the Amiga' (University Bookshop).
>
> 	-They're both very readable, and informative.
> 	-I like them.
>
> Thank you Rob Peck.  I'm looking forward to future works.

And thank YOU for the compliments.  I am proud to announce
that the Programmers Guide is now available in German, Italian,
and Danish, each in its native country.

Pre-announcing things may or may not be beneficial... but...
the next title I'll be trying to get published is
"Learning C on the Amiga".  It is, in effect,
the pre-quel to the Programmers' Guide, containing material
that is greatly generic C but with some Amiga-specifics and
simplified Amiga tools available in text and on disk.

It concentrates heavily on both Lattice and Manx compilers so
that no matter which one a user decides to buy, the code will
work on both.  We've even considered going so far as to include
whichever current version of PDC/ASM68k/BLINK is available near the
time of publication and then of course make sure that all of the examples
compile and run under this environment as well.  The whole idea
would be to give a learning programmer a method to evaluate whether
his program idea would run faster if compiled in C, (thus the PDC
inclusion -- and getting an includes-license for such distribution
of course).  Then once the person felt comfortable with C and
with the idea of compiling, he could purchase the more professional
environment, and still have enough instructions to allow an immediate
no-hassle switchover.

This particular project (if it gets published) was prompted by
the release of a recent competitive title (almost identical title)
that is not done as well as it could be.  For example, the existing
book has, as its first three chapters, "Compiling", "Assembling" and
"Linking", each of which is no more than 1.5 pages long and covers
only one of the two available Amiga compilers.  Flipping thru the
rest of the book revealed a chapter named "Looping"... covering
the usual 'do', 'for' and 'while' statements, and as a grand finale,
the last page covers, would you believe, the 'switch' statement.

I waited almost 3 years to write the Amiga Companion, which could
have been subtitled "what the AmigaDOS manual shoulda been", and
finally, having seen other books almost duplicate the AmigaDOS Manual
in scope and organization, I just couldn't wait any longer.  I believe
that Amiga World and I have done a good job on it.  Now that
there are plenty of machines out there, I believe that the time for
a GOOD Amiga-specific beginner's C book has come.

By the way, my co-author is equally enthusiastic about this project.
(the coauthor will be John Toebes. :-)

If this works out, we'll take a shot at producing a sequel to the
Programmers Guide.   Volume II or perhaps the Advanced Programmers...
(dreaming out loud).

Rob Peck

seamus@bucsb.UUCP (Jeff Rizzo) (02/07/90)

	Can anyone recommend some books to me so I can get started programming
the Amiga? I have quite a bit of experience on other machines, and I know
C and 68000 assembly language. Basically, what I need is something which
helps me apply it specifically to the Amiga. Any suggestions would be most
helpful.

Thanks.

Jeff Rizzo
seamus@bucsf.bu.edu

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (02/08/90)

In article <255@bucsb.UUCP>, seamus@bucsb.UUCP (Jeff Rizzo) writes:

> 	Can anyone recommend some books to me so I can get started programming
> the Amiga? I have quite a bit of experience on other machines, and I know
> C and 68000 assembly language.

For C on the Amiga, One of the best is "The Programmers Guide to the Amiga"
by Rob Peck. Peck, who is often here in comp.sys.amiga, does an excellent job
of explaining what is going on with the topics he covers and has some good
straight forward examples. The Abacus series of books also has a couple of
C books for the Amiga that don't look to bad.  I haven't spent as much time
with them as I have with the Programmers Guide but I get the impression that
they try to move to fast and try and cram too much in one book. I much prefer
Pecks' approach of not trying to explain everthing but giving a good under-
standing of the major principles and let you build from there. The official
Rom Kernal Manuals from Addison-Wesley also are full of examples and should
be a part of any Amiga programmers library.

P.S. I will also add about Rob Peck, He was a part of the orginal Amiga
development team, I believe as head of systems documentation, so his
experience  is indepth.

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/10/90)

>Item: 4696 by *Masked* at bucsb.UUCP
>  Subj: Amiga Books
>	Can anyone recommend some books to me so I can get started programming
>the Amiga? I have quite a bit of experience on other machines, and I know
>C and 68000 assembly language. Basically, what I need is something which
>helps me apply it specifically to the Amiga. Any suggestions would be most
>helpful.

Get the Amiga Rom Kernal Manual: Libraries and Devices.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

michaelf@pro-graphics.cts.com (Michael Franzyshen) (12/17/90)

I have several Amiga books and manuals for sale, if you are interested in any
of them, please EMAIL me, or call me at (201) 563-2675.  If I am not there,
please leave a message:

TITLE                               AUTHOR            PUBLISHER      COST
AmigaBASIC - Inside and Out         Rugheimer         ABACUS         $15.00
Advanced Amiga Basic                R. Halfhill       COMPUTE!       $ 8.00
Amiga C for Beginners               Schaun            ABACUS         $10.00
Amiga C for Advanced Programmers    Bleek             ABACUS         $15.00
Amiga Programmer's Handbook Vol.1   Mortimore         SYBEX          $14.00
Amiga Programmer's Handbook Vol.2   Mortimore         SYBEX          $10.00
Inside the Amiga with C             J. Berry          SAMS           $12.00
Amiga Machine Language              Dittrich          ABACUS         $10.00
Amiga Assembly Language Programming J.Commander       TAB            $15.00
COMPUTES! Amiga Programmer's Guide  S. Levey          COMPUTE!       $10.00
Amiga's Mach. Language Prog. Guide  D. Wolf           COMPUTE!       $10.00
Programmer's Guide to the Amiga     R. Peck           SYBEX          $ 7.00

All of the AMIGA references below are the OLD VERSIONS of the manuals, they
are NOT compatible with the newer 1.3 References:

Amiga ROM Kernal Reference Manual   R. Peck           Addison        $ 5.00
Amiga Intuition Reference  Manual   R. J. Mical       Addison        $ 5.00
Amiga Hardware Reference   Manual   R. Peck           Addison        $ 5.00
Amiga ROM Kernal: EXEC Refence      Sassenrath        Addison        $ 5.00

All of the above books are used and in GOOD to EXCELLENT condition.  Hope
someone out there will find some of the titles useful...