[comp.sys.amiga] Educational

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (12/06/90)

Some time ago a hot subject in this newsgroup was Educational
Bargains in US. (I am quite sure it was this newsgroup). I
remember one posting especially, which said something like

1 A-500, 1 ext.diskdrive, 1MB, a 1084 monitor all for $400

or something like that. The $400 has (?) to be a typo, but to
the issue I'm adressing: I would be terribly happy, if the guy
who posted this would mail it to me again, as I have no way of
getting it back. What I need is the equipment list, the amount
of cash involved and where in US it is available. PLEESE.(!)...

                       Jakob Gaardsted
                  Computer Science Department
                      University of Aarhus
                           Jylland(!)

In article <1990Dec6.005924.15705@daimi.aau.dk> pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:
>Some time ago a hot subject in this newsgroup was Educational
>Bargains in US. (I am quite sure it was this newsgroup). I
>remember one posting especially, which said something like
>
>1 A-500, 1 ext.diskdrive, 1MB, a 1084 monitor all for $400
>
>or something like that. The $400 has (?) to be a typo, but to

	The bundle is $759, including AmigaVision.
	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

In article <1990Dec6.052556.17606@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
> >1 A-500, 1 ext.diskdrive, 1MB, a 1084 monitor all for $400

> 	The bundle is $759, including AmigaVision.

What can you do with AmigaVision on a 1 Meg 500? I can barely run it on a 2
Meg 3000!

(speaking of which, is there ever going to be a REAL runtime-only version of
 AmigaVision? It chews up way too many K.)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (12/17/90)

In article <7284@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Dec6.052556.17606@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>> >1 A-500, 1 ext.diskdrive, 1MB, a 1084 monitor all for $400
>
>> 	The bundle is $759, including AmigaVision.
>
>What can you do with AmigaVision on a 1 Meg 500? I can barely run it on a 2
>Meg 3000!

 Huh? It runs fine on my machine with only 1 meg free. With 1 meg you can't
load ANIMs but you can make simple slide shows with samples and smus's
playing. Take CDAUG's electric disk magazine, it runs fine in 1 meg.
AmigaVision is a huge overlay I think, and it also has a good caching
mechanism. When AV encounters low memory conditions on my machine it starts
constantly loading and reloading from disk(I assume it flushs its buffers
and reloads stuff that it needs).
 With a A3000 you have 1.5 megs free(kickstart eats 500k) and with AV
eating 600-700k that leaves you about 600k left to work with. Most ANIMs
require atleast 1meg. I surmise this is the reason behind recommendations
of 3meg or more.

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec17.001535.10987@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

> Take CDAUG's electric disk magazine, it runs fine in 1 meg.

Yes, it certainly is well done. Many of cdAug's AmigaVision magazines
are available by anonymous ftp from 128.155.23.64 in /incoming/amiga/cdaug

                                    Herb

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cs.albany.edu  or  hb136@ALBNYVMS.BITNET