[comp.sys.amiga] Mac Hard Drives

jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (08/17/90)

Has anyone tried hooking up a Mac SCSI harddrive to an Amiga?  I've heard
before that Mac SCSI was a bit different than standard SCSI and since
a friend of mine is looking to sell his Mac SCSI harddrive I was wondering
if it would be possible to use it on my Amiga.

--
     // ++-------------------------------------------------------------------++
    //  ||   Hardware : A2000, 3 megs, 2 internal 3 1/2" drives, Amax        ||

denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson) (08/17/90)

My friend did just what you asked about. She bought a Mac harddrive (SCSI) and
it came with a cable. This unit comes as one complete piece, incuding power
supply, case and drive all hooked up with a 25 pin connector coming out the
back. She plugged the cable into the back of the drive and the other end into
the 25 pin connector on the back of her 590 Harddrive. It worked flawlessly
the first time!!!
                                                     Dennis Anderson

cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) (08/19/90)

In article <9038@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) writes:
>Has anyone tried hooking up a Mac SCSI harddrive to an Amiga?  I've heard
>before that Mac SCSI was a bit different than standard SCSI and since
>a friend of mine is looking to sell his Mac SCSI harddrive I was wondering
>if it would be possible to use it on my Amiga.

I am currently using a Conner Peripherals 40meg Mac SCSI drive on my Amiga.
No problems whatsoever. what matters is the SCSI interface layout on your
SCSI controller. I have a ....nonstandard... system!: Amiga 1000, Ronin
68030/881 at 14MHz, 4 meg 32 bit ram, 1 meg chip, 1 meg "fast", Supra
SCSI controller w/Supra 20meg drive, etc etc.. The Supra SCSI interface
conforms to the Mac protocol. All it took was a fifteen dollar power supply
and a couple of interface cables, and i was up and running (raw drive was
$325). I don't know if the A2000 SCSI interface conforms to Mac protocol.

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (12/17/90)

>I know that Mac floppy drives are not useable with an Amiga,
>but is it possible to use Mac SCSI hard drives?
>(If it matters, I have a 3000 with the built-in controller.)

>Thanks,
>*----------------------|-----------------------------*
>-- Steve Neas --       | Look!  It's a cow with no
>sn15@andrew.cmu.edu    |  legs on a post!
>      The buffalo may die, but the fig lives on!!
>*----------------------------------------------------*

Steve,

As the owner of an A2000 with a SupraWordsync controller, I asked myself
the same question.  I mean, the SCSI connector on the back of my computer
looked A LOT (try exactly) like the Mac SCSI.  So, I decided to try a
simple test: I 'borrowed' an external 80Meg Mac drive with cable and
SCSI terminator, and simply plugged it into my Amiga SCSI port.  After
running the Supra Format program (which took about 15 seconds), I rebooted
my machine, and, voila, another disk icon!!  So, it really does work,
take it from me.  But, then again, it IS an Amiga.

Parker

--
 James Parker   (parker@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */
   WVU ComputerScience     |

jason@pnet01.cts.com (Jason Goldberg) (12/18/90)

MAC SCSI HardDrives will definately work with the controller in your A3000,
the only thing you have to be carefull about is that many external drives
designed for the B&W series of MACS come with a cable to take their power off
the MACS floppy port (rather than a plug for wall) often you can buy a power
cable for the wall, but at signifigantly higher price.  So make sure you know
before you buy!

-Jason-

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jason
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jason@nosc.mil
INET: jason@pnet01.cts.com