[comp.sys.amiga] BBS software.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/06/90)

The BBS package called PARAGON does everything you have asked and then
some. For more info call 1-508-393-3875 with your modem! :)

NOTE: I am in no way connected with Inner Circle software... other than a
customer of above mentioned software.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/09/90)

In article <28629@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>The BBS package called PARAGON does everything you have asked and then
>some. For more info call 1-508-393-3875 with your modem! :)

Or you could wait a few months and buy a better piece of software in SkyLine
V1.4...

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/09/90)

Sorry... I don't care AT ALL for Skyline... It does not offer multi-user
capabilities nor FidoNet Support. One of the local users groups here runs
their BBS using it and ALOT of people, including myself cant stand it!

Just one mans opinion...

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (04/10/90)

In article <11170@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>In article <28629@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>>The BBS package called PARAGON does everything you have asked and then
>>some. For more info call 1-508-393-3875 with your modem! :)
>
>Or you could wait a few months and buy a better piece of software in SkyLine
>V1.4...

   Then there is Tag V4.24t. It is shareware & is VERY well supported by the
author. He responds well to users & comes out with upgrades weekly. It is in
use by 2 local BBS's (one run by a co-worker of mine) & I like it better than
eithor of the above two mentioned BBS packages (as a user).

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/10/90)

In article <28736@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Sorry... I don't care AT ALL for Skyline... It does not offer multi-user
>capabilities nor FidoNet Support. One of the local users groups here runs
>their BBS using it and ALOT of people, including myself cant stand it!

The next version of SkyLine, 1.4, will offer FidoNet support and should have
multiline capabilities...  Any other questions?
--

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (04/11/90)

In article <11300@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>In article <28736@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Sorry... I don't care AT ALL for Skyline... It does not offer multi-user
>>capabilities nor FidoNet Support. One of the local users groups here runs
>>their BBS using it and ALOT of people, including myself cant stand it!
>
>The next version of SkyLine, 1.4, will offer FidoNet support and should have
>multiline capabilities...  Any other questions?
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YEAH!!!   I have one....  I'm running 1.1 Atredes (Skyline) and I'm
slightly more than disapointed in the support for us Sysops by the current
Iconoclast folks whose BBS I try calling daily and can NEVER get through.
This BBS is apparently the ONLY way I have of gaining support for this
product.  If you know of ANY other way to contact the Skyline/Atredes folks,
preferably a Voice phone number, I would be VERY apprecitative. I've been
trying for several months to get in touch with them so I can see about
upgraded software and have questions answered, and BBS only customer
support is absurd.  Besides the couple times I did get on (long ago) I
had to wade through a lot of other sysop postings and realized that
"Michael" (the author) only checks in on occasion and expected the sysops
to provide each other with ALL the answers to their problems.  I've missed
two software upgrades going on three because of this horrible support.

H E L P ! !

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/11/90)

In article <12700@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>YEAH!!!   I have one....  I'm running 1.1 Atredes (Skyline) and I'm
>slightly more than disapointed in the support for us Sysops by the current
>Iconoclast folks whose BBS I try calling daily and can NEVER get through.

Uhhh... SkyLine is supported by Michael Cox, and I have problems getting
through, but wouldn't you expect this with the support board for a major BBS
program?  Have some patience...  V1.3 is almost ready, and the support I've
received from Michael has been great!  He answers the questions posted on the
board quickly, and I'm very satisfied with the product...
The only request I DO have is for the ability to add in commands for AREXX
programs in your menus through the menu compiler, but that's it...

It'll be hard to get into ANY active BBS.  You've just got to keep trying...
I've found early in the morning and very late at night are the best times.
--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |
| jdutka@wpi.bitnet    |     -Mechanical Engineers On The Prowl              |
| John Dutka  _________|_____________________________________________________|

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (04/11/90)

In <28736@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:

Doug> Sorry... I don't care AT ALL for Skyline... It does not offer multi-user
Doug> capabilities nor FidoNet Support. One of the local users groups here runs
Doug> their BBS using it and ALOT of people, including myself cant stand it!

It doesn't support multiuser or Fidonet? Hallelujiah! These days it
seems every BBS has as one of its goals plans to get Fidonet.... when
they do, inevitably the local posts almost cease entirely. The
multiuser ones even go pay.... pay for access to national drivel with
no local personality? Never....

Skyline, of course, is no gem. It feels huge and klunky to the end
user, isn't terribly customizable to the sysop, and on top of that
isn't all that consistent with itself. Yuck.
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

           Throw out your gold teeth and see how they roll;
               the answer they reveal: life is unreal.

In <2476@darkstar.ucsc.edu> terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) writes:

->    Then there is Tag V4.24t. It is shareware & is VERY well
-> supported by the author. He responds well to users & comes out with
-> upgrades weekly. It is in use by 2 local BBS's (one run by a
-> co-worker of mine) & I like it better than eithor of the above two
-> mentioned BBS packages (as a user).

I haven't used it since like v4.1 or something like that, but then it
was pretty terrible from the sysop's end. Crashed an awful lot, hung
during startup even more often, was inconsistent and ugly for the end
users, poor F/T facilities, worse message reading, and when the author
found out I was running a predominantly male adult board, his attitude
turned from mildly elitist (Oh, you don't have an 80 meg hard drive?
That's too bad....) to outright belligerent (Obviously you've never
tried to write a board and so your suggestions are worthless! (click)
NO CARRIER). I maintained the PD 6485 on the C64 when its author went
commercial, and also penned my own (Trading Post). Granted, the Amiga
is a whole new ballgame, but you'd think that little things like
reliable startup wouldn't be too hard.
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

           Throw out your gold teeth and see how they roll;
               the answer they reveal: life is unreal.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/11/90)

Questions... YES! Why did he not have it in there to begin with?
And I still dont care for the 'feel' of the system.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

In article <Z7P#DX=@rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>Skyline, of course, is no gem. It feels huge and klunky to the end
>user, isn't terribly customizable to the sysop, and on top of that
>isn't all that consistent with itself. Yuck.

Actually, FidoNet support is in the next version of SkyLine after 1.4.
SkyLine is tremendously customizable to the SysOp through the use of ARexx
programs that can interface with the main BBS program's ARexx port.
In the latest version, you can even change all the system messages, like
the good 'ol
Your Time Limit Has Expired
and the rest of SkyLine's system messages.  The program, in my view, is VERY
consistent.  The only problem I see with it is the way it handles high speed
modems > 2400 baud.  This has supposedly been fixed, but in the past, it was
horrible.
--

In article <11375@wpi.wpi.edu> jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) writes:
>In article <12700@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>>YEAH!!!   I have one....  I'm running 1.1 Atredes (Skyline) and I'm
>>slightly more than disapointed in the support for us Sysops by the current
>>Iconoclast folks whose BBS I try calling daily and can NEVER get through.
>
>Uhhh... SkyLine is supported by Michael Cox, and I have problems getting
>through, but wouldn't you expect this with the support board for a major BBS
>program?  Have some patience...  V1.3 is almost ready, and the support I've
>received from Michael has been great!  He answers the questions posted on the
>board quickly, and I'm very satisfied with the product...
>The only request I DO have is for the ability to add in commands for AREXX
>programs in your menus through the menu compiler, but that's it...
>
>It'll be hard to get into ANY active BBS.  You've just got to keep trying...
>I've found early in the morning and very late at night are the best times.

Yes, I WOULD expect it to be VERY difficult to get into a support board for
a BBS software producer, ESPECIALLY when it's the ONLY method of getting
that support!  That's my gripe, it's rediculous for Michael to expect all
of his customers to get a reasonable level of support this way.
Be patient?! Is it reasonable to set up an Auto redial script to keep
pounding on their phone number for HOURS each night, several nights a week,
for the past several MONTHS? In order to get a couple simple questions
answered?  Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I expect to be able to TALK to a
human being if I have a problem with ANY piece of software I buy.  When I
bought Atredes 1.1, it was brand new, I got one of the first copies, WHY?
because at that time they had telephone support (voice) and I had talked to
Michael person to person, before the falling out with Incognito.  I
wouldn't have bought it had I known the support for the product was going
to dissapear to the level it has.

C'mon... BBS only support? That's BullS**T!

My anger isn't aimed at you, John, just Skyline/Michael Cox etc.

If you have such good luck getting support, maybe you could give Michael
my phone number out of my .sig and have him call ME.  In my opinion, he has
abandoned the majority of his customers for all practicle purposes.

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (04/12/90)

    I think I missed part of this thread, while MindLink was getting
 its motherboard swapped a few times, so who are the players?

 Wares          Finances MultiLine Author       Comments

 BBS-PC         Comm.    No        MSS          IBMish
 TAG            Free     No        ?
 Atredes        Comm.    No        Incognito
 Paragon        Comm.    Yes       Inner Circle Clunky
 Dialog         Comm.    Yes       ?            Unreleased
 APC            ?        Yes       S. Lyons     Unreleased

 ---
    What other options are there?
    <-Harvey

 PS.
 So has anybody done a traffic analysis of CATS posts over the last month?

      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/12/90)

In article <28792@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Questions... YES! Why did he not have it in there to begin with?
>And I still dont care for the 'feel' of the system.

If you mean FidoNet in SkyLine, all boards don't have FidoNet compatibility,
and many had it added later.  If you don't care for the 'feel' of the system,
that's okay - ask the SysOp to change it, or if you're a SysOp, change it
yourself.  With SkyLine, you can make it look exactly like an Opus/Fido
if you want to with ARexx programs and strategic use of the menu compiler...

One thing - the software has too few protocols offered - XModem CRC and 1K,
Ymodem (Batch) and ZModem.

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |
| jdutka@wpi.bitnet    |     -Mechanical Engineers On The Prowl              |
| John Dutka  _________|_____________________________________________________|

po87553@tut.fi (Ojala Pasi Juhani) (04/13/90)

Well, I've heard that somebody would have released a BBS-software called
Atlanta or Atlantis or something like that. I don't know any features of it
but I'd like to. Does anyone know anything about this?

By the way, what is Paragon's newest version at the moment? In here we have
2.00g or something like that. (In here=Finland).

Juha Tuominen, Sysop of The Amiga Project

bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) (12/18/90)

Folks,

I remember seeing about 3-4 BBS programs at a FTP site sometime back.  I forgot
where they are and I desperately need them.

Could someone let me know what FTP site they are?  I thought they were on Xanth
no?

Thanks
Bin