[comp.sys.amiga] Where is Dave headed?

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (11/30/90)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>		      ONLY 50 MILES TO GO

Well you must be getting there, since it was "230 miles to go" the last
I noticed. But I'm dying to know where it is you're headed!
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g

In <1990Nov30.152034.12329@javelin.es.com>, blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>
>>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>>		      ONLY 50 MILES TO GO
>
>Well you must be getting there, since it was "230 miles to go" the last
>I noticed. But I'm dying to know where it is you're headed!

Interstate 2.0 I hope. :-)

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

eachus@linus.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) (12/05/90)

In article <2293@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

   >Well you must be getting there, since it was "230 miles to go" the last
   >I noticed. But I'm dying to know where it is you're headed!

   Interstate 2.0 I hope. :-)

     No Dave doesn't work on the OS, he designs and lays out PC boards
like the 2000, the 2620, the 2630, the 3000....  Now what board do you
think currently has 50 disconnects?  (Hint: If you buy a 3000 it has
3500 layouts in the manual so it almost certainly isn't that.)

     Assuming he is taking a prototype working in house and trying to
come up with say a 4 layer or 2 layer board to make manufacturing
easy...  Production boards in March?

     (Extra disclaimer: All this is pure speculation, but fun! :-)

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...

In article <EACHUS.90Dec4190634@aries.linus.mitre.org> eachus@linus.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:

>     No Dave doesn't work on the OS, he designs and lays out PC boards
>like the 2000, the 2620, the 2630, the 3000....  Now what board do you
>think currently has 50 disconnects?  (Hint: If you buy a 3000 it has
>3500 layouts in the manual so it almost certainly isn't that.)

Wrong again!  I work on the system design, which reaches it's final expression
(final for me, 'till we get a board at least) as the schematic.  This is then
electronically transferred to Terry Fisher, usually, who then proceeds to make
the layout.  This then goes to little elves outside of the building, and comes
back as a real PCB.

I have also done two gate arrays, the Buster chips in the A2000 and A3000, as
well as system "architecture" stuff, which ranges from "ok, guys, how do we
split up the functions in this new system" to "we need a 32 bit bus, what shall
I do to stay compatible and still go fast".  The latter one took me from August
of 1988 until around May of 1990 to get done....

>					Robert I. Eachus
		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/11/90)

Dave, if you plug in a card with a CPU into the co-processor board, can you
still use the native processor for "grunt" work... for instance, putting
a '040 board in the A3000, and still use the '030 to help speed up the
machine?

And.... can this be done so that it remains "mostly" compatable with\
a mojority of software?  Would this be a hardware, or software hack to
use both processors together?

Raoul Rodriguez

"People may not believe what you say, but, they will always believ
what you do" - unknmown

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (12/12/90)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>.... to "we need a 32 bit bus, what shall
>I do to stay compatible and still go fast".  The latter one took me from August
>of 1988 until around May of 1990 to get done....

And a job well done Dave!

>		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

Ok, it's new, and it's fast, but what is it? Or are you trying to avoid
MCIBTYC (that's "my CAR is better than your CAR") flame wars by not
mentioning the specifics on your new toy? :-)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com     ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne  (I hope)

In article <10796@helios.TAMU.EDU> n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) writes:
>Dave, if you plug in a card with a CPU into the co-processor board, can you
>still use the native processor for "grunt" work... for instance, putting
>a '040 board in the A3000, and still use the '030 to help speed up the
>machine?

>And.... can this be done so that it remains "mostly" compatable with\
>a mojority of software?  Would this be a hardware, or software hack to
>use both processors together?

The A3000 side of things is designed to work this way.  If you plug in a
Coprocessor board that's also designed to work this way, you'll be able to
run both CPUs together efficiently.  At that point, actually getting the
two of them to work well becomes a software issue, as it is on most machines
today that have considered the relatively simple hardware end of the
problem.

>Raoul Rodriguez
		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

In article <1990Dec11.175749.14229@javelin.es.com> blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Ok, it's new, and it's fast, but what is it? Or are you trying to avoid
>MCIBTYC (that's "my CAR is better than your CAR") flame wars by not
>mentioning the specifics on your new toy? :-)

Ok, I got an Eagle Talon TSi AWD.  Only one of two cars unanimously picked for
the Car and Driver Ten Best list this year, as it turns out (the other was
the Mazda Miata), so just try and flame it.  After driving that silly
Pontiac "Tailspin" Fiero for five years, I'm really happy with all wheel drive
and some power for a change.  I haven't had it on much of a freeway yet, and
it's hard to get much over 100MPH on these backroads and live to tell about
it.

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (12/13/90)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>In article <1990Dec11.175749.14229@javelin.es.com> blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>>daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>Ok, it's new, and it's fast, but what is it? Or are you trying to avoid
>>MCIBTYC (that's "my CAR is better than your CAR") flame wars by not
>>mentioning the specifics on your new toy? :-)

>Ok, I got an Eagle Talon TSi AWD.  Only one of two cars unanimously picked for
>the Car and Driver Ten Best list this year, as it turns out (the other was
>the Mazda Miata), so just try and flame it.

I wouldn't dream of flaming it, it IS a nice car. I might be a little
envious though! Kind of like an A3000: smallish, fast, good looking,
and very competent. Fast cars, fast computers, what a country!

>		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

I'm not surprised!
--

mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (12/14/90)

In article <16484@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
   In article <1990Dec11.175749.14229@javelin.es.com> blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
   >daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

   >Ok, it's new, and it's fast, but what is it? Or are you trying to avoid
   >MCIBTYC (that's "my CAR is better than your CAR") flame wars by not
   >mentioning the specifics on your new toy? :-)

Hey Kent - you missed one. We obviously need a comp.sys.amiga.cars!
c.s.a.daveh.cars might also be considered, but I think it's to
restrictive.

   Ok, I got an Eagle Talon TSi AWD.

Nice car. But we'll probably keep buying old German sports cars...

	<mike
--

andrew@cuenews.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (12/18/90)

In <16465@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>               "I can't drive 55"      -Sammy Hagar

Heck Dave, bring your car up here to Canada some weekend - the highway
speed limits are 110.  Yeah, well, that _is_ km/h, but I bet there's been
a lot of American tourists up here who do a double-take the first time
they see one of those three-digit speed limit signs.  (And then get
totally confused as to what the speed limit actually is. :-)

You wanted content?  Hey, I thought this was usenet ...

--
  Andrew Folkins  ...!alberta!edm!cuenews!andrew   Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  Newsfeed for the Amiga SIG of the Commodore Users of Edmonton (AmiCUE)

     "Science is to computer science as hydrodynamics is to plumbing."
        -- Stan Kelly-Bootle, _Computer Language_, Oct 90