[comp.sys.amiga] What Hard Drive to get?

wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) (12/15/90)

I am interesting in getting another hard drive for my 3000.  I would like
something a bit less expensive than a Quantum.  They are really good drives,
but I can't afford anything more than a 40 from them.  I am looking to spend
around $500 or so.  I'd like something more than a 40 meg.  What other drives
are there that function well?  I haven't heard too many good things about
the Seagate drives.  Who else makes SCSI drives that a reliable like Quantum?

If any 3000 owners out there have HDs other than Quantum in their machines,
please let me know what you use, how much it cost, and how reliable it has
been.

Please help with this.  Thanks in advance.....

-Brian Wright
-wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (12/18/90)

>In article <16525@smunews.UUCP> wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) writes:
>I am interesting in getting another hard drive for my 3000.  I would like
>something a bit less expensive than a Quantum.  They are really good drives,
>but I can't afford anything more than a 40 from them.  I am looking to spend
>around $500 or so.  I'd like something more than a 40 meg.  What other drives
>are there that function well?  I haven't heard too many good things about
>the Seagate drives.  Who else makes SCSI drives that a reliable like Quantum?

I only have a Quantum 40 Meg in my 3000, so I can't advise you on the quality
of other drives, but if you're willing to spend about $500, you should be able
to buy either Connor or Quantum 100 Meg hard drives in that price range.  The
Connor drives tend to be about 5-15% cheaper than the Quantum's. The reliability
should be similar, but the seek and access times tend to be a little better for
the Quantum.  Since I indirectly own some Quantum stock, I'd recommend paying the
premium, and get the (faster) Quantum drive.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org