[comp.sys.amiga] New magazines needed!

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/18/90)

Well, since the defence I have seen for publications to print lies are that
when they try to print the truth about the Amiga they are always corrected.
The solution to this problem is to start a new magazine. A magazine that
knows at least something about the computers they write about. Anyone care
to start this magazine? No? Didn't think so. We'll just have to wait 'til
the current crop of computer-"journalists" have all died and hope that TNG
is not as easy to program. That they are more open to new ideas.

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (12/18/90)

In <2418@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
>Well, since the defence I have seen for publications to print lies are that
>when they try to print the truth about the Amiga they are always corrected.

Clarification: no one has defended the repeated printing of gross
errors.  (and least of all, I, having spent years and some
effort trying to get those mags to gather more info on non-PC/Macs).

What we _have_ tried to point out are some of the _reasons_ behind
not covering the Amiga (or for that matter, other systems... the
Amy is certainly not alone in this respect).

Agreed: reasons are <> good defense.  But "defense" implies a moral
judgement, and the real world ignores those.  OTOH, you can work with
reasons and actually get something accomplished (versus griping, which
does no good... believe me; I was (and still am) a great old griper :).

Want to move a mountain?  Call or write the editors of those magazines.
Ask them what you could do to help gain more coverage (perhaps sending
in some great screen displays that they could use next time!).  If
you think of them as a larger version of your local club newsletter,
you'll realize that gathering articles/info just ain't that easy ;-).
Their difficulty no excuse or defense, but sure is a darned good reason.

Granted, I doubt this will do any good in machine-specific mags (just
as you rarely see fair coverage of other machines in Amiga mags).
Still, it's action, not words. Sincerely -kev <kdarling@catt.nscu.edu>