[comp.sys.amiga] Things that should work on my 3000 but dont

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (12/18/90)

	I've had a number of strange problems getting some things _designed_
for 2.0 to run.  I've been told by others that they run fine on their systems.

	I've tried using both ToolManager and AddTools to customize my WB tools
menu.  I know I've got them set up right, because if I run them from a shell
after booting, they work fine.  However, in my startup-sequence or in the
WBStartup drawer, they do absolutely nothing.  (in the SS I've tried
using runback and run <NIL: >NIL:, as well as just running them directly).

	My other problem is with console handlers.  I got the conman update
that was posted here recently and tried to get conman running.  After putting
all the files in their correct locations, I ran the Conman program.  Opening
any CLI or shell after that would bring the guru (oops, I mean the "software
error" message).  Someone suggested using CNX: instead to avoid messing
with CON:.  So I mounted CNX: and tried a newshell CNX:xxx/yyy/XXX/YYY/Shell
command.  I got an "Unable to open new window.  Newshell failed." message.
The same happens with NewCLI.  I've also tried another replacement
console handler (GNC:, I believe, from a recent fish disk).  Same results.

    The other problem that seems unique to me is that I can't get Movie or
NewMovie to work ("can't open window").

	I run starblanker, facii, and "forfacc" from the WBstartup drawer,
and "autocli" (POPCLI type util) from the startup-sequence.  Everything
else is a fairly vanilla setup.  (Two exceptions: I took out the BindDrivers
command, since there's nothing in my expansion drawer, and I use Dave H.'s
(I think) bindnames to do all my assigns at startup.  Might any of the
above be the problem or part of it?

	Any suggestions/answers/ideas would be appreciated.

--
  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

harris@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) (12/19/90)

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

>	I've had a number of strange problems getting some things _designed_
>for 2.0 to run.  I've been told by others that they run fine on their systems.
>
>	I've tried using both ToolManager and AddTools to customize my WB tools
>menu.  I know I've got them set up right, because if I run them from a shell
>after booting, they work fine.  However, in my startup-sequence or in the
>WBStartup drawer, they do absolutely nothing.  (in the SS I've tried
>using runback and run <NIL: >NIL:, as well as just running them directly).

I too have discovered that ToolManager is picky.  I have the following in my
startup sequence and it works ok:

LoadWB
wait 2
runback >NIL: ClkPointer
runback >NIL: ToolManager

If you don't use ClkPointer, you may need to increase the time to 3 seconds.
I have tried using LoadWB -Delay and it doesn't wait long enough.  The key
is that Workbench must be completely loaded and initialized before
ToolManager can install itself.
--
 __   _ ___ ___   Michael Harris - harris@catt.ncsu.edu      //        _
|    / \  | |    Computer and Technologies Theme Program    // /||\/||/ _ /|