[comp.sys.amiga] Gnu Emacs 0.9 ... Try this, especially a3000

henning@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (12/06/90)

Hi folks,

Well, this will be the last release before 1.0  Many changes have
occurred again.

The main change is that I have increased the addressable space of
emacs from 16 megs to 64 megs.  I have tested this program only on an
amiga 2000.  I assume that it will work for the A3000 platform, as the
memory, if mine serves me correctly, sits in the second 16 meg area.
Please try this new version and tell me if it continues to crash on a
3000.

If it does, then I still have one trick up my sleeve. ( I will make
the pointers relative to the main () address.rather than absolute.
With the scheme I have been considering, it would be able to address
16 megs above and below the address of main().)

The increase of address space is not the only change.  I have added
function key support.  I will not go in depth with the functions, as I
have actually written a document called amiga_specific.man which
should adequately explain the functions; as well as having an example
.emacs file which sets up two function keys.

Also included is support for serial port opporations.  I have tested
them with an adm3a+, and they work just dandy (and as the adm3a is one
of the dumbest smart-terminals you can find, it bodes well for
others.)  I did not include the termcap file as it is several
megabytes long, and you can just cut out what termcap entry you need
from yout local unix /etc/termcap file.

For first time users of Amiga Emacs, please remeber the following
things before you write to me and ask me why emacs is asking you to
set a termcap.

1.  Your environent must have TERM set to the terminal type you need.
Please see the included documentation for setting the correct console
type termname for the amiga cons.  Remember, sksh users that the
setenv supplied with that package doesn't work for this application.
Worst case, make a file with the single word of the termname and save
it in your s: directory. (make sure there is NO CARRIAGE RETURN after
the termname, or emacs will try to find the carriage return.)  Then on
boot, have your s:startup-sequence copy s:TERM to env:TERM.

2. You must copy the .emacs and termcap files from the distribution to
your s: directory.  the files in the distribution are in the
elisp09.lzh archive.

I have been very  careful to keep the individual archives as tiny as
possible, to allow them to fit on one floppy.  Therefore, the lisp
files are the minimum possible for proper emacs oporation.   Any more
can be gleaned off of your unix station.

The distribution is at abcfd20.larc.nasa.govc  in the incoming/amiga
directory.

Feel free to send comments and sugestions for improvement.  I will NOT
be adding things such as menu support.  The reason will become obvoius
as you look at the size of the distribution.  Emacs expands to almost
750k executable once all memory is allocated.  This is even before
the opening of a file to edit.

version 1.0 will  have included some rudimentary form of synchronus
and asynchronus process running power.  I am still looking into faking
some mouse oporations,  however, once one becomes familiar with the
emacs keyboard, it takes more time to to drop the old ``home row'' to
grab the mouse than to do the oporations by key.

Enjoy, and Happy Hollidays.

					-henning

henning@stolaf.edu
henning@stolaf.UUCP
All opinions are my own, as are the spellings
any deviation from the norm is just an effect
of my deviance.

In article <1990Dec6.043208.27357@acc.stolaf.edu> henning@thor.acc.stolaf.edu () writes:
>Hi folks,

>The main change is that I have increased the addressable space of
>emacs from 16 megs to 64 megs.  I have tested this program only on an
>amiga 2000.  I assume that it will work for the A3000 platform, as the
>memory, if mine serves me correctly, sits in the second 16 meg area.
>Please try this new version and tell me if it continues to crash on a
>3000.

There are three places for 32 bit Fast memory on the A3000:

$07000000-$07ffffff	Built-in 16MB Fast, starts at the top and works down
			as you increase memory amounts.
$08000000-$0fffffff	Reserved 128K space for Coprocessor Slot memory toys.
$10000000-$7fffffff	Zorro III Expansion Space

So, for the moment at least, you can get away with 31 bit addressing if you
must, but anything less could get you into trouble on the A3000.

>					-henning

		      Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...........

In article <1990Dec6.043208.27357@acc.stolaf.edu> henning@thor.acc.stolaf.edu () writes:
>The main change is that I have increased the addressable space of
>emacs from 16 megs to 64 megs.  I have tested this program only on an
>amiga 2000.  I assume that it will work for the A3000 platform, as the
>memory, if mine serves me correctly, sits in the second 16 meg area.
>Please try this new version and tell me if it continues to crash on a
>3000.

	The A3000 internal memory sits at 0x07xxxxxx.  I.E. the 8th 16Meg
space.  A3000 memory boards start at 0x08000000 and go up.

>If it does, then I still have one trick up my sleeve. ( I will make
>the pointers relative to the main () address.rather than absolute.
>With the scheme I have been considering, it would be able to address
>16 megs above and below the address of main().)

	That fails if chip memory gets allocated.  You'll need an allocation
function that rejects chip mem allocations, frees them, and returns NULL.
Also with expansion memory (Z-II or Z-III) you could hit that problem as
well.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)