[comp.sys.amiga] Mac leading the way????

maxc1419@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Todd Greene) (12/14/90)

   I though all Amiga owners would be interested in this:

In their Dec. 7 issue, a local free publication (in San Diego) entitled
'Computeredge' contained an article praising Apple for facilitating
sound (i.e. music) programming and its use on their newest Mac.

    The article praises, among other things, Apple's
recent invention of a standard file format for sound samples.  They
suggest that sounds other than beeps might be useful in serious applications,
and Apple is the first company to realize this.

I don't know about you, but I though Amiga had been doing this for quite
a while.  If only Commodore management had understood 'marketing' two years
ago....

"Frustrated but hopeful"
Todd Greene

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (12/16/90)

maxc1419@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Todd Greene) writes:

>   I though all Amiga owners would be interested in this:

>In their Dec. 7 issue, a local free publication (in San Diego) entitled
>'Computeredge' contained an article praising Apple for facilitating
>sound (i.e. music) programming and its use on their newest Mac.

>    The article praises, among other things, Apple's
>recent invention of a standard file format for sound samples.  They
>suggest that sounds other than beeps might be useful in serious applications,
>and Apple is the first company to realize this.

>I don't know about you, but I though Amiga had been doing this for quite
>a while.  If only Commodore management had understood 'marketing' two years
>ago....

>"Frustrated but hopeful"
>Todd Greene

Does make you kinda sick doesn't it. Its this kind of misrepresentation that
slows amiga in the commercial market. I really wish Amiga would renew their
ad campaign. Macintosh is now running several commercials featuring their
system. Ibm has and still is doing the same (ps/1). I think it is time for
Amiga to start running a few of their own. I have heard rumors about them, but
I have yet to see any.

Luckily that is only a SMALL LOCAL newsletter.

Byron

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/17/90)

Re: Amiga advertising

The local electronics superstore as well as the local Amiga dealer are both
selling LOTS of 500C and 500Ps, and the major reason that both places tell
me is the 4-page ad in PEOPLE, which, one must admit, is a lot better than
those stupid ads with Jimmy (or whomever) lifting his house off its founda-
tions...CBM IS advertising, and it appears that THIS time, it's working!
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec14.093510.8639@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1419@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Todd Greene) writes:

>   I though all Amiga owners would be interested in this:
>
>In their Dec. 7 issue, a local free publication (in San Diego) entitled
>'Computeredge' contained an article praising Apple for facilitating
>sound (i.e. music) programming and its use on their newest Mac.

The last time I was in San Diego, that was ComputOredge.  It's a lousy name,
too.  Even the people at the rag think so.  It used to be called the
"Byte Buyer", which sounds better and gives a better idea of their
concentration on advertising, especially classifieds.  However, it
seems they were threatened by a lawsuit by a certain very large
publication and had to change the name....  I was very surprised to
learn that someone owns the word "byte".  I think I'll trademark the*
word "the*".  From now on, any person or organization who wants to use
the* word has to pay me a royalty or get sued.  This includes instances
of the* in words like "the*re", "othe*r", "the*m", etc.

I'll be watching.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.