[comp.sys.amiga] Sound Digitizers

steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) (01/05/88)

>From recent postings on the net, I've been led to believe that
some of the major sound digitizers (not naming any names), are
doing their best to conceal their electronics, by use of acrylic
block surrounding the components, to filing the serial numbers
off the chips.  Then I ask, why would anyone go to such lengths
to hide the actual workings of a device, except for the possibilty
that the user could build his own for a lesser sum of money by
purchasing the parts himself and hacking together his own digitizer?
You dont see Sony filing off serial numbers because they're afraid
people will steal the patent on the televisions, and Commodore
certainly doesnt seal the motherboard of the Amiga in an acrylic
block!
 w3"

   UUCP:  ....!crash!pro-charlotte!steelie    | Pro-Charlotte - (704) 567-0029
   ARPA:  crash!pro-charlotte!steelie@nosc.mil| 300/1200/2400 baud  24 hrs/day
   INET:  steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com       | Log in as "register"

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/06/88)

steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) writes:
>>From recent postings on the net, I've been led to believe that
>some of the major sound digitizers (not naming any names), are
>doing their best to conceal their electronics, by use of acrylic
>block surrounding the components, to filing the serial numbers
>off the chips.  Then I ask, why would anyone go to such lengths
>to hide the actual workings of a device, except for the possibilty
>that the user could build his own for a lesser sum of money by

Jim,

        I once looked into doing this.  I have a rough design for a
14/15-bit 95khz A-D/D-A board which would cost about $70 ea. to produce.
But what is the point, since the Amiga doesn't have the horses to do
much with such a beast.

        Anyway,  If you look into various A-D converters you will find
that their are a wide variety of 7,8,10, and 12 bit converters aailable,
and that they're are wide variations in the way they are set up (in terms
of how they work and how they're layed out physically).  These parts are
somewhat sensitive, so even if the pins are supossedly the same, the design
useing them may not be.  So, if you don't know the exact chip they're using
in the unit, you will probably have to do your own hardware.

        I don't think they really are trying to keep the individual from
copying the design, rather they wish to make a competetor do their own
design work.  After all, if a rival company has no design costs, they could
aquire half the market just by producing the units and selling them at
the same price.

                                                        Thanks,

                                                                Wade.

         (oops, used "they're" when I should of used "there", probably
                misspelled "competetor", etc...     Sorry!)

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (01/07/88)

In article <2283@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) writes:
>>>From recent postings on the net, I've been led to believe that
>>some of the major sound digitizers (not naming any names), are
>>doing their best to conceal their electronics, by use of acrylic
>>block surrounding the components, to filing the serial numbers
>>off the chips.  Then I ask, why would anyone go to such lengths
>>to hide the actual workings of a device, except for the possibilty
>>that the user could build his own for a lesser sum of money by
>
>        I don't think they really are trying to keep the individual from
>copying the design, rather they wish to make a competetor do their own
>design work.  After all, if a rival company has no design costs, they could
>aquire half the market just by producing the units and selling them at
>the same price.

Maybe they put alot of work into the software too. This way, their
dongle is protected, so their software investment is protected.

Hedley

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/07/88)

Somebody writes:

>>>some of the major sound digitizers (not naming any names), are
>>>doing their best to conceal their electronics, by use of acrylic
>>>block surrounding the components, to filing the serial numbers
>>>off the chips.  Then I ask, why would anyone go to such lengths
>>>to hide the actual workings of a device, except for the possibilty
>>>that the user could build his own for a lesser sum of money by

Maybe they did it to protect the electronics from damage?

Sean

--
--  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@UKMA.BITNET
--  (the Empire guy)         {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean

leivian@dover.uucp (Bob Leivian) (01/08/88)

In article <2283@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) writes:
>>>From recent postings on the net, I've been led to believe that
>>some of the major sound digitizers (not naming any names), are
>>doing their best to conceal their electronics, by use of acrylic
>>block surrounding the components, to filing the serial numbers
>
>        I once looked into doing this.  I have a rough design for a
>14/15-bit 95khz A-D/D-A board which would cost about $70 ea. to produce.
>But what is the point, since the Amiga doesn't have the horses to do
>much with such a beast.

 Our user group (in PHX AZ) did a group project to build a digitizer,
One EE with a regular day job designed a board, we pooled money to get
a local house to do the art work for the board for around $20 per board.
Then with about $25 worth of fairly standard parts (and about 6 hours
of sodering and snipping) we had a nice sterio digitizer.  I spend
another 20 bucks at radio shack for a pretty box and knobs, and viola

 There was nothing secret about it, it is a fairly simple A/D circuit.
 I don't know what you mean by "not enough horses to use it" it works
 fine and is compatible with perfect sound software.
 --Bob

--
Bob Leivian         Motorola, Dover Shores (CAD Support)  602-994-6778
 ...{mcdsun, sun}!sunburn!dover!leivian                   Mesa, AZ

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (01/09/88)

In article <108@dover.uucp> leivian@dover.UUCP (Bob Leivian) writes:

> Our user group (in PHX AZ) did a group project to build a digitizer,
>One EE with a regular day job designed a board, we pooled money to get
>a local house to do the art work for the board for around $20 per board.
>Then with about $25 worth of fairly standard parts (and about 6 hours
>of sodering and snipping) we had a nice sterio digitizer.  I spend
>another 20 bucks at radio shack for a pretty box and knobs, and viola
>
> There was nothing secret about it, it is a fairly simple A/D circuit.

Since there was nothing secret about it, how about posting the
schematics??  Or submitting it for a Fish disk?  This would make a
nice little project for someone to do.  (like me....)

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (01/10/88)

leivian@dover.uucp (Bob Leivian) writes:
>  Our user group (in PHX AZ) did a group project to build a digitizer,
>One EE with a regular day job designed a board, we pooled money to get
>a local house to do the art work for the board for around $20 per board.
>Then with about $25 worth of fairly standard parts (and about 6 hours
>of sodering and snipping) we had a nice sterio digitizer.  I spend
>another 20 bucks at radio shack for a pretty box and knobs, and viola
>
>  There was nothing secret about it, it is a fairly simple A/D circuit.
>I don't know what you mean by "not enough horses to use it" it works
>fine and is compatible with perfect sound software.
>--Bob

	Sure, but you were taking 8-bit samples, probably at 8khz.  Take
a look at the increase in needed throughput to support 16-bit samples at
sampling rates of better than 40khz and you'll see that the Amiga does not
have the power to handle it.  I have looked at a number of specialized hardware
designs to resolve this.

	I would like to, at some time, build a professional quality audio
processing system.  I figure I could do it now with the A2000, but the
price to the user would be about $1300 above the cost of the A2000, which
means the market (musicians, not computer users) would probably not
accept it.  Still, for $2800 (all hardware, no software) it would be possible
to provide a truely open audio processing environment.  As a musician I'm
dieing to do this.  Maybe by summer...

							Thanks,

								Wade.

bishop@skat.usc.edu (Brian Bishop) (01/20/88)

In article <2320@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>	I would like to, at some time, build a professional quality audio
>processing system.  I figure I could do it now with the A2000, but the
>price to the user would be about $1300 above the cost of the A2000, which
>means the market (musicians, not computer users) would probably not
>accept it.  Still, for $2800 (all hardware, no software) it would be possible
>to provide a truely open audio processing environment.  As a musician I'm
>dieing to do this.  Maybe by summer...

  I've spent the last two days putting together eleven songs using my room-
mate's casio keyboard's drum capability (limited, but useful), my portable
CD player, the Amiga, the Mimetics sampler, ans my other roommate's
four-track recorder (we are obviously a well-matched set of people). Is
it professional? No. But the sound quality? Oh Man!! CD straight to the
sampler! And that's what I love - the power of a mini-Fairlight for,
say...maybe two grand. And I would have bought the Amiga and the CD
player anyway. It's 60% icing on the cake anyway!!!

brian bishop                            ---> bishop@usc-ecl.ARPA
(uscvax,sdcvdef,engvax,scgvaxd,smeagol) ---> usc-skat!bishop.UUCP

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic
condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time,
every creature that lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat
of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life.
Everywhere in the universe."
                             - Wilbur Mercer, founder of Mercerism

have a nice day fnord.

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (01/04/90)

I have an old version of Perfect Sound for the 2000.  The quality of
samples from it is poor.  What are other peoples feelings on audio
digitizers for the amiga, which one gives the best quality sound?
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (01/04/90)

In article <1033@crash.cts.com>, uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
> I have an old version of Perfect Sound for the 2000.  The quality of
> samples from it is poor.  What are other peoples feelings on audio
> digitizers for the amiga, which one gives the best quality sound?

Although I've not much of an ear for digitizers, I've gotten very good
results from a digitizer I built myself. It has a few limitations-

1) It is mono only
2) Software to run it is not included.

The cost to build it is about $20-$25. I found a file to construct it on
a local BBS-which was based on a magazine article-the file also
included a nice IFF schematic.

Now, as for #2-does anyone know of any PD programs for digitizing?

--
BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN
"I know my familiar is a vampire duck, just don't mess with it."

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (01/04/90)

In article <1033@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:

> I have an old version of Perfect Sound for the 2000.  The quality of
> samples from it is poor.  What are other peoples feelings on audio
> digitizers for the amiga, which one gives the best quality sound?

I haven't used any of them, but am also curious.

Just for general information, what do you consider poor ?
8 bits at some random sampling rate do not a compact disc emulate.
8 bits at some random sampling rate do even a random cassette ".
Are you producing sounds for games (music anf fx) or samples to
be sent to a synthesizer ?
Or do you want to make an audio workstation ?

OBTW, has anyone used Synthia-Pro ? Comments ? It claims to generate
16-bit samples for use by real synthesizers. I am unsure if they can
be previewed properly on Amy.

--
-Frank Cunningham   smart: fc@lexicon.com	phone: (617) 891-6790
		    dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (01/04/90)

In article <1033@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>I have an old version of Perfect Sound for the 2000.  The quality of
>samples from it is poor.  What are other peoples feelings on audio
>digitizers for the amiga, which one gives the best quality sound?

I suppose your mileage might vary according to the care & time spent on
it, but I get better samples from the digitizer I made from plans in
Amazing Computing a few months ago. The designer chose to require a
separate power supply than to pull it off the Amy's port since he
seemed to think it was a bit too noisy.

This little tool along with AudioMasterII is invaluable when showing
off the Amy. I hook a little stereo radio into it & just hook a pair of
good headphones to the output of the Amy without it being obvious, hand
the headphones to them and startup the monitor in AMII. Curious looks
are replaced by disbelief when I tell them what's going on. I then
record about an 800k (A2500 :^) sample in HiFi, reverse a section on
one channel & play it back. Until then they usually refuse to believe
me.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

stevep@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Steve Paine) (01/09/90)

From article <1033@crash.cts.com>, by uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun):
> I have an old version of Perfect Sound for the 2000.  The quality of
> samples from it is poor.  What are other peoples feelings on audio
> digitizers for the amiga, which one gives the best quality sound?
> -Roger

Roger,
	I have the Future Sound sampler and I am very pleased with it. As long
input levels are correct and the unit is kept away from the monitor, it sounds
very good. When I bought the unit I was advised to buy the Future SOund sampler
purely because it was the best quality. Combining this hardware with a decent
software package (The future sound s/w is not the best!) would it even better.

	By the way, you dont know anything about the Sonix sample format do you?
I have been trying to get a sample into Sonix for a long time with no success.

			Steve Paine.
			British Telecom Research,
			Ipswich
			England.

colyer@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (01/10/90)

(stevep@galadriel.bt.vo.uk -- Steve Paine)

>[... Stuff deleted ...]
>      By the way, you dont know anything about the Sonix sample format do you?
>I have been trying to get a sample into Sonix for a long time with no success.

Steve,

  Sonix uses these special files off of the main boot disk.  These files
tell Sonix what type of sounds to use and how to use theme.  There is one for
IFF samples.   All you need to do is read in the sample, and then save it
back via Sonix.  After you save it, reload the new Sonix saved sample and
you'll have control over it's envelope and filterings (I think...).

  To load up IFF samples just leave your Sonix boot disk in df0: and put
the disk with the IFF sample into df1:, and go from there.

  Hope this helps...

--
#include <std.disclaimers>
#define JAMES_COLYER  COLYER@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

groo@dsoft.UUCP (Bill Squier) (01/12/90)

In article <562@galadriel.bt.co.uk> stevep@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Steve Paine)
writes:

>	By the way, you dont know anything about the Sonix sample format do you?
>I have been trying to get a sample into Sonix for a long time with no
>success.

	Sonix accepts the standard IFF format (8SVX?).  I had a similar
problem at one point (when I was running on a one floppy drive 1000).
Apparently, in order for Sonix to properly load and play an IFF sample,
it must have access to the Miscellaneous directory, OR have accessed an
IFF instrument successfully before.

	One way to solve it is to go to the Score screen, and select
"Load" from the menu.  When the requester comes up, select the "preload"
score.  This score contains instruments of many types and allows Sonix
to play all varieties of intruments without further disk access.

	It also may be the way you're saving it from your sampling
software.  From AudioMaster, for example, you must save it as the
"SONIX" type.

--
Bill Squier - Stevens Inst. of Tech  |   //  "Only Amiga makes it possible"
Bitnet: u93_wsquier@stevens          | \X/

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (01/16/90)

In article <36400034@silver>, colyer@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (James Colyer)