[comp.sys.amiga] Telecommunications programs

bruss@odin.ucsd.edu (Brian Russ) (12/09/90)

	I'm in the market for a telecommunications program.  This is
mainly for logging into UNIX systems, so the only real requirements
are (1) some sort of scripting language (to automate logins) and
some sort of terminal emulation (for vi).  Based on what I've
read, A-Talk and Baud Bandit appear to be two of the better programs
out there.  BB, though, doesn't do any emulation other than Amiga
ANSI.  Do I really need, say, vt100 emulation to use vi?  Or is
ANSI a good enought approximation?  Or, would a need a special
termcap entry to use vi?
	Any help would be appreciated, as well as recommendations for
Baud Band, A-Talk, or other terminal programs.  Thanks!

					Brian
--
Brian Russ
CSE Department, UC San Diego

martens@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (12/11/90)

I've been a moderately annoyed user of Online for a couple years now.
It's pretty buggy, and doesn't multitask within itself, but is
otherwise barely adequate.
--
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

	"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone" -- Hobbes.

Jamie_Walker@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jamie Walker) (12/12/90)

You've probably had dozens of replies but JRCOMM is one of the best
, it's VT100 emulation (for example) is complete enough to include to
the little indicators at the bottom of the screen to emulate the LED's
on a real VT100.

 |  /                  /~~                Public Unix BBS 24hrs | Ban French
 |_/ /\  |~\ |~\ /\   |   |~ | | /~ | (~  Auckland  NEW ZEALAND | nuclear
 | \ \,\ |,/ |,/ \,\  |   |  |_| \_ | _)  KC BBS: 09-817-3714   | testing in
 |  \    |   |         \__                Voice:  09-817-5569   | Pacific

tbc@juniper04.cray.com (Tom Craig) (12/19/90)

Will the original poster of this request please post a summary of email
on an AMIGA-3000 and I'll need to get a terminal emulation package right
away. (It CAN'T be worse than kermit!)

Regards,
--
   Tom Craig     tbc@cray.com     Insert standard disclaimers here...

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/19/90)

VLT (a freely-distributable program available on Fish disk ???) is the best
VT-*00 emulator out there. You can also use the similarly f-d NComm or
JRComm, which doesn't have Kermit...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A. Gaspar) (12/19/90)

In article <39486@nigel.ee.udel.edu> fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>VLT (a freely-distributable program available on Fish disk ???) is the best
>VT-*00 emulator out there. You can also use the similarly f-d NComm or
>JRComm, which doesn't have Kermit...
>                                                --Rick Wrigley
>                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

VLT does not have very good VT-100 emulation - it's o.k. for most
things, but vttest shows it's inaccuracies.  Handshake is a near
perfect VT-10x emulator, right down to the four lights.  I use VLT,
but it's not good enough for a few weird programs.

carson@close.cs.columbia.edu (preferred)        | Carson Gaspar
cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwards to above) | BIX: cgaspar