[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Ad on KGO Radio

a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) (12/18/90)

> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1919@metaphor.Metaphor.COM>
>
> Org.  : Metaphor Computer Systems, Mountain View, CA
> Person: Dallas J. Hodgson
>
> Well, heard my first Amiga ad on KGO-810 AM, just before 5PM. Very nice,
> professional and serious sounding ad. At the end of the ad it said "call
> this number" - so I did. The CBM operator who answered seemed confused and
> said "Sorry, nobody's heren right now." I asked her if she though it strange
> that there's no one around to answer C='s own ads, she said "I'm sorry,
> there's no one in right now."
>
> Oooh, good one C=. I'll have to make a note on my calendar to call back
> tomorrow. 8)

I hope Commodore-Amiga picks up on this: just when things start to roll, you
don't want this kind of "oops" in the sales a marketing strategy.  This type of
thing is why I reject the expression, "...the whole nine yards."  All _ten_
yards are required for a first down!

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (12/18/90)

Well, heard my first Amiga ad on KGO-810 AM, just before 5PM. Very nice,
professional and serious sounding ad. At the end of the ad it said "call
this number" - so I did. The CBM operator who answered seemed confused and
said "Sorry, nobody's heren right now." I asked her if she though it strange
that there's no one around to answer C='s own ads, she said "I'm sorry,
there's no one in right now."

Oooh, good one C=. I'll have to make a note on my calendar to call back
tomorrow. 8)
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

In article <4162@mindlink.UUCP> a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) writes:
>> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com writes:
>>
>> Well, heard my first Amiga ad on KGO-810 AM, just before 5PM. Very nice,
>> professional and serious sounding ad. At the end of the ad it said "call
>> this number" - so I did. The CBM operator who answered seemed confused and
>> said "Sorry, nobody's heren right now." I asked her if she though it strange
>> that there's no one around to answer C='s own ads, she said "I'm sorry,
>> there's no one in right now."
>>
>> Oooh, good one C=. I'll have to make a note on my calendar to call back
>> tomorrow. 8)
>
>I hope Commodore-Amiga picks up on this: just when things start to roll, you
>don't want this kind of "oops" in the sales a marketing strategy.  This type of
>thing is why I reject the expression, "...the whole nine yards."  All _ten_
>yards are required for a first down!

	When was the call made? After 5PM? I don't think it is
Commodore's fault if they only pay people to work 9-5. It sounds
like the caller spoke to the janitor who had no clue what was
going on. Not that it would be bad if Commodore had someone on
the phone 24 hours, but that would be doing more than necessary.
Here they are doing the minimum.

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (12/19/90)

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>>> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com writes:
>>> At the end of the ad it said "call
>>> this number" - so I did. The CBM operator who answered seemed confused and
>>> said "Sorry, nobody's heren right now."
>>

>	When was the call made? After 5PM? I don't think it is
>Commodore's fault if they only pay people to work 9-5. It sounds
>like the caller spoke to the janitor who had no clue what was
>going on. Not that it would be bad if Commodore had someone on
>the phone 24 hours, but that would be doing more than necessary.
>Here they are doing the minimum.

After 5:00 PM Phone Call Tests To Two Computer Companies:

Company A:  RING RING "Hello, you have reached Company A Computers.  Our hours
are nine a.m. to five p.m. Monday through Friday.  If you would like more
information about our computers, press 1.  If you need technical information,
press 2.  If you would like to leave a message on company phone mail, press 3.
If you would like to leave your address so we may mail you more information,
press 4.  Please make a selection now."

Company C: RING RING RING RING RING RING  "YEAH?  WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

"Um, do you have any information about Company C computers?"

"Ah Hell man, I just work here.  What do you expect?"

"Are you technical support?"

"Nah, man, I just mop the decks."

"Why are you answering the phone?"

"BECAUSE IT WAS RINGING STOOOPID!"

--
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

amgreene@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Marc Greene) (12/20/90)

In article <4162@mindlink.UUCP> a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) writes:

>thing is why I reject the expression, "...the whole nine yards."  All _ten_
>yards are required for a first down!

Um, this expression has nothing to do with football.  A complete shipment
of cement is nine (cubic) yards.

- Andrew

In article <1990Dec19.153711.25273@javelin.es.com> pashdown%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>>	When was the call made? After 5PM? I don't think it is
>>Commodore's fault if they only pay people to work 9-5. It sounds
>>like the caller spoke to the janitor who had no clue what was
>>going on.

You generally get Security after hours, I don't think janitors
answer the phone.

>After 5:00 PM Phone Call Tests To Two Computer Companies:
>
>Company A:  RING RING "Hello, you have reached Company A Computers.  Our hours
>are nine a.m. to five p.m. Monday through Friday.  ....

>Company C: RING RING RING RING RING RING  "YEAH?  WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

The company "A" approach is appropriate if you're calling a support number
or something.  But when you call the C= switchboard after hours, that would
be totally inappropriate.  Just because the 9-5ers have gone home doesn't
mean that business stops.  Engineering has people working in it all hours
of the day.  We still may have calls going in and out with folks in
California, Europe, or the Far East during their business hours.

>  Pete Ashdown  pashdown%javelin@dsd.es.com  ...dsd.es.com!javelin!pashdown

		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

higgin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Paul Higginbottom - CATS) (12/21/90)

In article <1919@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:
$Well, heard my first Amiga ad on KGO-810 AM, ...
$said "call $this number" - so I did.
$The CBM operator who answered seemed confused and
$said "Sorry, nobody's heren right now." I asked her if she though it strange
$that there's no one around to answer C='s own ads, she said "I'm sorry,
$there's no one in right now."

Please tell me the number you called.  Are you sure this was a Commodore
number, or a dealer, or something else?

	Paul.