[comp.sys.amiga] amax ii interlace question

kgs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Kok G Sang) (11/19/90)

This is probably the wrong place to post, but I just purchased Amax-II and
I am running it in interlace mode.  Is there a way to reduce the number of
horizontal lines on the title bars of the current documents you're working
on?  Flicker is very noticeable there and reducing the number of lines would
be extremely helpful as I don't notice it elsewhere.  I'm not certain whether
a fix can be made as most of the routines to do this are in rom, but they are
loaded into ram so maybe there's a patch to fix this?

Any information on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

-Kok

                                                                          /
                                                           \             / /
___________________________________________________________ \\\' ,      / //
                                                             \\\//,   _/ //,
"Kirk to Enterprise - beam down yeoman Rand and a 6-pack."    \_-//' /  //<,
         __  __                                                 \ ///  <//`
        / / / / Amiga: The Power to be your best.              /  >>  \\\`__/_
   __ _/ / / /       - Buy one. It isn't just a good idea,    /,)-^>> _\` \\\
   \ \/ /\/ /          it's the law!                          (/   \\ //\\
    \/_/\/_/    kgs@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu                        // _//\\\\
--------------------------------------------------------------- ((` ((

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (11/20/90)

I'm posting this to comp.sys.amiga, because I think it should be
of interest to nearly all A-Max and A-Max II owners:

>Running in interlace mode, is there a way to reduce the number of
>horizontal lines on the title bars of the current window you're working
>on?  Flicker is very noticeable there and reducing the number of lines
>would be extremely helpful as I don't notice it elsewhere.  I'm not sure
>a fix can be made as most of the routines to do this are in rom,
>but they're loaded into ram so maybe there's a patch to fix this?

There certainly is a patch.  It's called NeXT INIT, and is freely
distributable.  I used it before I even had A-Max just because it
makes the Mac windows look very much more professional; like NeXT
windows (thus the name).  Just drop this little gem in your system
folder and reboot.  Voila!  The horizontal lines are replaced with
a solid grey title bar, which doesn't flicker at all.  I'd be glad
to send this to anyone who can suggest the best way to transfer it.
I don't have a modem for the Mac side, so uploading would be a tad
difficult...

By the way:  I've been actively seeking a way to make the mouse
start up in fastest mode so you don't have to set it each time.
No luck so far.  I tried to get a Mac programmer to write such an
INIT, but he was unable to figure out how the speed value was stored.
I tried the Mouse2 Control Panel program (it's essentially a mouse
accelerator; makes the pointer FLY on my Mac II at work) but A-Max
just ignores it; it doesn't even show up in the control panel.
If I stumble across anything, I'll post it immediately.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (11/21/90)

Vunderbar!  I've found the FTP site where you can all download
the nifty little program that will end the flickering of your
Mac window title bars.

FTP to  sumex-aim.stanford.edu

Then look in the  info-max/init directory.

Download the  NeXT INIT you find there.  If it's a .sit file,
you will need StuffIt to unarchive the file.  (I forgot if it
is archived or not).

Anyway, this is worth the download.  Enjoy!  :-)

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (11/22/90)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

>By the way:  I've been actively seeking a way to make the mouse
>start up in fastest mode so you don't have to set it each time.
>No luck so far.  I tried to get a Mac programmer to write such an
>INIT, but he was unable to figure out how the speed value was stored.
>I tried the Mouse2 Control Panel program (it's essentially a mouse
>accelerator; makes the pointer FLY on my Mac II at work) but A-Max
>just ignores it; it doesn't even show up in the control panel.
>If I stumble across anything, I'll post it immediately.

I've got a utility that was written by a Mac user who's battery for his PRAM
died.  It loads the PRAM (where the control panel settings are stored) off
of disk upon bootup.  If there is enough interest, I could either ftp it
somewhere or post it to the net BinHex'd.  Its a rather tiny utility.

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \  Pete Ashdown   pashdown@javelin.es.com   ...orca.es.com!javelin!pashdown

jimmy@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (11/22/90)

In article <90323.224513JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>I'm posting this to comp.sys.amiga, because I think it should be
>of interest to nearly all A-Max and A-Max II owners:
>
>By the way:  I've been actively seeking a way to make the mouse
>start up in fastest mode so you don't have to set it each time.
>No luck so far.  I tried to get a Mac programmer to write such an
>INIT, but he was unable to figure out how the speed value was stored.
>I tried the Mouse2 Control Panel program (it's essentially a mouse
>accelerator; makes the pointer FLY on my Mac II at work) but A-Max
>just ignores it; it doesn't even show up in the control panel.
>If I stumble across anything, I'll post it immediately.
>
>                                                            Kurt

I've also asked about an INIT from various friends with Macs and
turned up nil.  What I've done is setup a macro with Macromaker
and as I boot up with A-max, I just hit one key and the macro
goes through the trouble of going to the control panel and
selecting fastest mouse speed then closes the control panel.
Not as good as actually having an INIT to do the job but it
gets the job done.

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov21.161158.6008@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.es.com
(Pete Ashdown) writes:

>I've got a utility that was written by a Mac user who's battery for his PRAM
>died.  It loads the PRAM (where the control panel settings are stored) off
>of disk upon bootup.  If there is enough interest, I could either ftp it
>somewhere or post it to the net BinHex'd.  Its a rather tiny utility.

     YES!!!  Please post it.  I'm tired of having to drag my mouse
(which is doing a good imitation of a slug) all over the screen to
get to the control panel settings to make it move at a decent speed.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
Anyone who thinks the government doesn't tax the very air we breathe
has never had a SCUBA tank refilled.

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (11/29/90)

I've found ALL the needed utilities to 'get around' the PRAM. Here are
the files and what they do...

WindChooser - Lets you pick from 3 different NEXTish window designs.

PRAMset - Changes GENERAL sound volume and cache.

XPRAM - Changes SOUND volume and keeps track of sample.

Pointer - Changes the mouse speed!

IBEEP - the SMALL soundmaster that will play different samples for
various things.

togglesound fkey - change volume without going through control panel.

EYES/Boomerang/Simpsons/init cdev/and a couple other NEAT things....

=====
Most of them were pulled off of sumex and rascal.

Phil Dietz

<<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    565 MEGS! 2 lines
252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  AMIGA, IBM, MAC, GIFS
    IBM'ers and Mac'ers are shopping for a life.  Amiga the best!

hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu (meyer h) (12/01/90)

Two pieces of information for A-Max users who don't want to set mouse
sensitivity every time they start up:

There is a 12K cdev which can be ftp'ed from  rascal.ics.utexas.edu
There is a 12K cdev which can be ftp'ed from    rasced/
MouseScaling_sit_bin .  The A-Max II transfer software allows the Mac
binary setting to be used, and extracts the name pointer-sit .
Stuffit extracts the cdev with the name Pointing Device.

If you have Stuffit 1.5.1 you don't need BinHex or PackIt to extract
files.  In the OTHER menu, it offers encode/decode BinHex and unpack.

         Harry R. Meyer    hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu

andrewsr@romulus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (12/10/90)

> In article <1990Nov21.161158.6008@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
> >JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
> >
> >I've got a utility that was written by a Mac user who's battery for his PRAM
> >died.  It loads the PRAM (where the control panel settings are stored) off
>
> YES, please do post it to an anonymous ftp site!  This is the only thing
> I dislike about A-MaxII running off my HD.  It would be great if I could have
> the mouse AND sound prefs the way i like upon a cold boot.

There is a great number of Macintosh programs online via anonymous ftp
at sumex.stanford.edu.  The program info-mac/cdev/mouse-scaling.hqx
will set your mouse speed at bootup.  To setup the sound, try
info-mac/cdev/pramset.hqx or info-mac/init/xpram.hqx.

Note that almost all of the programs are both compressed with Stuffit
and then converted to ASCII with BinHqx.  To get these programs, try
info-mac/util/binhqx4.bin and info-mac/util/stuffit-151.hqx.

Also, to get listings of all the programs and what they do, go into
any directory (ie. cd info-mac/util) and get the file that starts with
two zeros.  (ie. 00util-abstracts.abs).  All of the description files
start with 00 and end with -abstracts.abs.  They are straight ASCII
files.

There are so many programs there that I highly recommend downloading
some of these abstracts.

I am in the process of listing all the Mac software that does/does not
work under A-MaxII.  It will be quite a large list (broken into two
parts: PD and Commercial) and I am accepting test results form net
users.  So, drop me a line with your test results!  (I have been truly
amazed that most everything I have tried works!)  I hope to have the
next results out in early January.

I am also drafting a most "frequently asked questions" list for
A-MaxII.  Please help me out and send me some topics.  (This will be
out in early January too.)

> 	BTW, is amax II sweet or what autobooting off a 3000/25??! hheheh

I'll bet.  For me, I like the fact that A-MaxII can use the 256K of
Kickstart RAM.

Later,
-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "If there is nothing wrong with me, then maybe there is
\X/  Andrews |  something wrong with the universe."  - B. Crusher STTNG

unhd (Layton C Cote) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Nov29.062113.24560@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>I've found ALL the needed utilities to 'get around' the PRAM. Here are
>the files and what they do...

Great!!!!!!!!!!   Thanks a million, these are all the things
we need to do under AmaxII.

>=====
>Most of them were pulled off of sumex and rascal.

----------->  NOW just tell us where this rascal site is, cuz
		i didn't see all of them on sumex-aim....

Thanks,
Layton

>Phil Dietz

				  ___   		        _
---INTERNET:lcc770@unh.edu-------/ //--------------------------| |--------
|   ____                 ___    / //  /\  /\ /\  | /--\   /\   | |       |\
|   |  | |\ | |  \ /     \ \\  / //  /--\/  V  \ ||  __  /--\   V        | |
|   |__| | \| |__ |       \ \\/ //  /    \      \| \__| /    \  o        | |
|                          \ / //                                        | |
|---------------------------\_//--------------------BITNET:l_cote@unhh---| |
 \__DISCLAIMER:_Of_course_expressed_opinions_are_mine_all_mine____________\|

hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu (meyer h) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec14.075941.11485@uunet!unhd> lcc775@unhd.UUCP (Layton C Cote) writes:
>In article <1990Nov29.062113.24560@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>>I've found ALL the needed utilities to 'get around' the PRAM. Here are
>>the files and what they do...
>>
>Great!!!!!!!!!!   Thanks a million, these are all the things
>we need to do under AmaxII.
>>
>>=====
>>Most of them were pulled off of sumex and rascal.
>
>----------->  NOW just tell us where this rascal site is, cuz
>		i didn't see all of them on sumex-aim....

rascal is   rascal.ics.utexas.edu    sumex is sumex-aim.stanford.edu
for those who came in in the middle.

Harry