[comp.sys.amiga] ROM Grabber?

Lynch_MJ@cc.curtin.edu.au (12/17/90)

	I am looking for a public domain program that can be used to grab data
	from memory and write it to disk in Kickstart format. ie to transfer
	KS2.0 to disk so that it can be used with an Amiga 1000. I've been told
	that such a program exists but not what its called or where to find it,
	does anybody out there know?

					An A1000 user.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (12/18/90)

In article <5143.276ce4a4@cc.curtin.edu.au> Lynch_MJ@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>	I am looking for a public domain program that can be used to grab data
>	from memory and write it to disk in Kickstart format. ie to transfer
>	KS2.0 to disk so that it can be used with an Amiga 1000.

Ignoring for the moment that this is a violation of someone's license
agreement, you have a much harder job than that to do my friend.  The
2.0 kickstart is 512K, and your WCS is only 256K.  You need to add
another quarter-meg of WCS RAM, and I don't know of anyone who's doing
that.

You can get a Rejuvenator from Expert Services, which can hold 512K ROMs
(but not WCS).  This is your only recourse right now.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (12/18/90)

Our friends at Checkpoint Technologies write:
>In article <5143.276ce4a4@cc.curtin.edu.au> Lynch_MJ@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>>	I am looking for a public domain program that can be used to grab data
>>	from memory and write it to disk in Kickstart format. ie to transfer
>>	KS2.0 to disk so that it can be used with an Amiga 1000.
>
>Ignoring for the moment that this is a violation of someone's license
>agreement, you have a much harder job than that to do my friend.  The

I'm curious, because someone else mentioned trying to do the same thing
earlier:  is it a violation of the license agreement to use the 2.0
KickStart from your legally obtained A3000 in your old, also-legal A1000,
assuming you've found a way to do it?

I can't imagine why that would be true.  I'm not saying it's >not< true,
just that I don't understand.

/****************************************************************
 *          All of the above copyright by the below.            *
 *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *
 *    "A language is a dialect with an army and a navy."        *
 ****************************************************************/

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (12/21/90)

In article <24079@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <5143.276ce4a4@cc.curtin.edu.au> Lynch_MJ@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>>	I am looking for a public domain program that can be used to grab data
>>	from memory and write it to disk in Kickstart format. ie to transfer
>>	KS2.0 to disk so that it can be used with an Amiga 1000.
>
>Ignoring for the moment that this is a violation of someone's license
>agreement, you have a much harder job than that to do my friend.  The
>2.0 kickstart is 512K, and your WCS is only 256K.  You need to add
>another quarter-meg of WCS RAM, and I don't know of anyone who's doing
>that.
>
>You can get a Rejuvenator from Expert Services, which can hold 512K ROMs
>(but not WCS).  This is your only recourse right now.
>--
>First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
>                                                                    \\ / /
>Then, the disclaimer:  All expressed opinions are, indeed, opinions. \  / o
>Now for the witty part:    I'm pink, therefore, I'm spam!             \/

Continuing to ignore (for the moment) the liscencing violation, at
least in theory, the v1.3 kickstart might recognise the v2.0 romtags
when it autoconfigures its memory, *IF* the v2.0 ROM image were loaded
into fast ram in the appropriate format.  Supposing that it did, it
would then replace the affected library vectors with the new ones, in
effect massively patching the existing v1.3 to v2.0.  Yow.

There is also no theoretical reason that a 512k WCS cannot be
constructed for the A1000, except that it would be even more
complicated and expensive than the Rejuvenator.  And what's the point,
there is no official v2.0 kickstart disk, so why bother?

I have also heard notions to the effect that v2.0 is extremely limited
without at least 1Mb of chip ram, something else the A1000 doesn't
have ...

All in all, invest in the Rejuvenator, or hope that Commodore releases
a v2.0 subset kickstart disk (maybe call it v1.4 ;-)

Wildstar