[comp.sys.amiga] SAS/C patch 5.10A

ROCHAT_P@.switch ((Ch. Sarrasin)) (12/17/90)

Hi everybody, some times ago, someone posted something about a new patch for
SAS/C (Lattice C), and descibed it as being "essential". He also told that this
patch was available on Compuserve or something. Now my problem is the following:Being an European customer, I don't have a Compuserve access, and therefore,
I can't fetch this thing, and writing a letter would just last too long, until
I get some reply. Could someone please be so kind as to upload this patch on
"new Xanth", (as I am sure, I am not the only one with this problem), or
if it's not possible, could someone (possibly from SAS) E-Mail it to me?

Thanx in advance...

Christian SARRASIN
Chantres 46
CH - 1025 Saint-Sulpice
(SWITZERLAND)				E-Mail: ROCHAT_P@ELDE.EPFL.CH

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (12/18/90)

In article <39276@nigel.ee.udel.edu> ROCHAT_P@.switch ((Ch. Sarrasin)) writes:
>Hi everybody, some times ago, someone posted something about a new patch for
>SAS/C(Lattice C), and descibed it as being "essential". He also told that this
>patch was available on Compuserve or something.Now my problem is the following:Being an European customer, I don't have a Compuserve access, and therefore,
>I can't fetch this thing, and writing a letter would just last too long, until
>I get some reply. Could someone please be so kind as to upload this patch on
>"new Xanth", (as I am sure, I am not the only one with this problem), or
>if it's not possible, could someone (possibly from SAS) E-Mail it to me?

>Thanx in advance...
>
>Christian SARRASIN

   John Toebes has specifically stated NOT TO UL THE PATCH ANYWHERE!!!!!
SAS wants to maintain distribution control as much as possible. If you wan't
the patch call SAS, give them your serial # and they will send you a patch disk
The only other means is from BIX.

   The "patch" is over 250K. And takes a few hours to install on floppies.
Approximately 30+ bugs have been fixed. And 2 new compiler switches are
implemented. Nice stuff.

   Too bad SAS doesn't have European offices, but if you need to report a
bug or get a patch the only method is a ($$$) phone call or a letter. SAS
seems to be very gung-ho about tracking and killing bugs. At least 1 or 2
"bugs" are reported on BIX per week and they are tracked (and hopefully) and
resolved. If SAS can't "fix" the bug they will try and provide a work around.
Often a bug cannot fixed because it would break another part of the compiler,
thus a workaround is provided.

   Since SAS doesn't maintain a "active" net presense, you don't get a
feeling of the type of support they can provide. John, Doug and others are
quite lucid and helpful to others on BIX. There are people on BIX that can
corroborate that (Blaine Gardener, Tomas Rokki, CBM people).

   Sorry for rambling on but I feel SAS is a great choice (after all CBM
is using it to compile 2.0) and just because you cant EMAIL them doesn't mean
you cant get good support. (And yes I am also paper mail impared :-) )

--
 adam hill
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                        Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/21/90)

SAS C is very good if you are from the states and have user support available.
Here in sweden the distributor doesn't even know what a compiler is. There is
only one reason to buy the compiler here. It's the only one available. Yes,
there are distributors that have heard about manx too. Heard about being the
key words. If you buy a product that everyone says has great user support,
check that the same support is available at a good price in your country!

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?