[comp.sys.amiga] Pirating CD-ROMs - A Little Reality Please

ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (12/18/90)

I have been monitoring this discussion with great interest, and I have a
few comments to make from the point of view of someone who has been (and
is) involved in the production of software for consoles.

Firstly, the majority of the posters have shown a total lack of the
economic realities of software production.  For instance, several people
suggested filling the disk with artist-produced pictures.  Do these
people understand how much time is involved in the production of such
artwork?  Two or three days at least per picture, at a hundred or two
hundred dollars per day in wages for the artist, plus capital
depreciation on the equipment used, plus rent etc.  Artist produced
pictures are *very* expensive.

Several people also suggested high-quality audio.  Sure, this is
possible, but then you need to compose, arrange, and (most expensive)
mix such a soundtrack, at anm average cost of several hundred dollars
per hour of studio time.  There are tracks you could use for free, but I
haven't heard much lift muzak I would want in a game with my name on it! :-)

So what could you put onto the disk?  Well, digitized pictures have been
suggested, though again there is a cost involved here.  This cost may be
slight if these pictures are bought from copyright-free stock, or it may
be expensive if sets and studioes must be constructed or hired (of
course the Amiga, with a Toaster or something similar does reduce
post-production costs on video substantially!)  Also, someone suggested
verification codes (not a bad idea but reading them will make the game
slow, and is eaily hacked), or "type-a-word" protection scheme (which
will *really* irritate the users.

There is, at last, a perception amongst the computer community of the
difficulty and expense in writing software, but the extra costs such as
graphic design and composing is still undervalued.  This discussion is
very interesting, but let's get a bit of perspective into it, and
realise that practically *any* data put onto the disk is going to be
costly.  The idea of copy-protection on CD ROMs *is* worth considering,
as long it is transparent to the user, and (above all else) reliable
across hardware platforms.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-9404
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) (12/18/90)

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:

>That is only 4 years away(1995) and that implies that we will all have CD
>ROM drives in 4 years. I have no plans to buy a device that only 2 or 3
>games use and several programs (such as encyclopedias, fred fishisks,etc)
>use. And I am almost certain game manufacturers won't produce A LOT for
>this thing until enough applications such as the encyclopedia appear that
>many many people will already have one.

How many of you can remember way way back to when you would never need
a floppy drive because you had everything on those nifty cassette tapes?

>My last arguement is, not to be overly fussy, but what game do you know of
>that takes up an entire cd rom? The largest game I currently know of ...

And how many of you remember way way back when games would fit into 16K?
Those floppy disks (the ones you finally broke down and bought) that could
store 132K were absolutely HUGE!!

>There just AREN'T many 3.2 gigabyte games available for amiga!

Yet.  If something is available and useful, it will first get used, then
later depended on, just like floppies, hard disks and multiple megs of RAM.

>To agree with you though, I suppose some new games could be produced which
>used LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of digitized music and Images.

Expect it.  Especially lots of pictures.  Digitized sound tends to have
a much higher load-time:play-time ratio, so it's not as effective as a couple
thousand HAM images. (IMHO)

Instead of saying "nothing today uses this technology" why not ask "what can
you do with this that was impossible before?"

--
John M. Olsen, Graphics Technology Division  (303)229-6746
olsen@hpfcjo.HP.COM, olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM

ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (12/19/90)

In article <9Baeu1w163w@kennels.actrix.gen.nz> sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) writes:
>ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>> [Costs of producing a CD soundtrack for a game ]

>This one's easy. People already make up soundtracks using such stuff as
>Soundtracker/NoiseTracker/etc. Basically, with a CD-ROM you could make up
>these and then TAPE them! (Just to annoy the pirates, no other benefit).

Yes, but if people are going to buy a system that produces CD-quality
sound (as CDTV is reported to do), then this is not going to satisfy
them, is it?  The sound output of the Amiga, though excellent by
computer standards, is sneered at by every audio engineer I know.

[...]

>Don't you think that ten minutes of action sequences from Robocop (for
>example) would greatly enhance the game? And of course it would be
>VERY hard to copy. (THe film makers would like it too - it would
>work as a sort of trailer/preview to encourage film sales.)

Excellent point, though I am sure that the filmmakers would actually
like the royalties much, much more...

>Again, one of the best anti-pirate devices I saw was on Shadow of the
>Unicorn for the Spectrum. It was a dongle with additional RAM and a
>joystick port. Basically you had to have the dongle before you COULD play
>the game! (It's a pity that the game was a flop... :-)

Unless the cartridge plays an active role in the game which cannot be
duplicated in software, the system is vulnerable.  This one did, but
then it also would have added an enormous cost to producing the game.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-9400
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (12/19/90)

ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:

[stuff deleted]

> Several people also suggested high-quality audio.  Sure, this is
> possible, but then you need to compose, arrange, and (most expensive)
> mix such a soundtrack, at anm average cost of several hundred dollars
> per hour of studio time.  There are tracks you could use for free, but I
> haven't heard much lift muzak I would want in a game with my name on it! :-)

This one's easy. People already make up soundtracks using such stuff as
Soundtracker/NoiseTracker/etc. Basically, with a CD-ROM you could make up
these and then TAPE them! (Just to annoy the pirates, no other benefit).

Alternativewly, you could have one person using a computer for MIDI
output which would then be taped. Both of these solutions are
exactly as easy as current methods of developing music - and because
the music would take up lots of ROM space - they would hard to pirate.

> So what could you put onto the disk?  Well, digitized pictures have been
> suggested, though again there is a cost involved here.  This cost may be
> slight if these pictures are bought from copyright-free stock, or it may
> be expensive if sets and studioes must be constructed or hired (of
> course the Amiga, with a Toaster or something similar does reduce
> post-production costs on video substantially!)  Also, someone suggested
> verification codes (not a bad idea but reading them will make the game
> slow, and is eaily hacked), or "type-a-word" protection scheme (which
> will *really* irritate the users.

More to the point, there are a LOT of "game of the film" types out there.
Don't you think that ten minutes of action sequences from Robocop (for
example) would greatly enhance the game? And of course it would be
VERY hard to copy. (THe film makers would like it too - it would
work as a sort of trailer/preview to encourage film sales.)

These of course would be digitised and take up a very large amount
of space...

The same applies to digitised sounds. It's not too hard to make up
long sound samples (which still sound better than Speak on the
Amiga) which could also add to the game.

I think CD-Rom could definitely slow down piracy. Of course, this is
assuming that there aren't people in the world with the capability
to copy CD's to other CD's... However this is not home piracy but
commercial piracy of course.

Again, one of the best anti-pirate devices I saw was on Shadow of the
Unicorn for the Spectrum. It was a dongle with additional RAM and a
joystick port. Basically you had to have the dongle before you COULD play
the game! (It's a pity that the game was a flop... :-)

--
**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
** Mail : sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (12/19/90)

In article <4710021@hpfcdq.HP.COM> olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) writes:
>Instead of saying "nothing today uses this technology" why not ask "what can
>you do with this that was impossible before?"

At first I expect to see intro sequences that run for 5 minutes with
HAM ray-traced animation with huge soundtracks.  It will take a while
for people to begin to use the huge amount of data.  Expect to see
megabytes of data used for generating entire worlds in games, and
all represented in 3d.  Games where you can hook into a mapping system
and view the world in 2d from above, with zoom etc.  The games are
going to be incredible, and other applications will be amazing too.  I
have already seen an ad for pysgnosis asking for more programmers to
develop for CDTV.  I think C= should send them a copy of Randell Jesups
recent flame about game programming in comp.sys.amiga.tech and make them write
it out 1000 times before giving them a development kit!!

>John M. Olsen, Graphics Technology Division  (303)229-6746
>olsen@hpfcjo.HP.COM, olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM
>Hewlett-Packard, Mail Stop 74, 3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft Collins, CO 80525

Regards,

--
Matt Crowd       Amiga Man
Email Address    glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au

andrewsr@steely.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (12/20/90)

In article <4710021@hpfcdq.HP.COM> olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) writes:

> specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>
> >That is only 4 years away(1995) and that implies that we will all have CD
> >ROM drives in 4 years. I have no plans to buy a device that only 2 or 3
> >games use and several programs (such as encyclopedias, fred fishisks,etc)
> >use. And I am almost certain game manufacturers won't produce A LOT for
> >this thing until enough applications such as the encyclopedia appear that
> >many many people will already have one.
>
> How many of you can remember way way back to when you would never need
> a floppy drive because you had everything on those nifty cassette tapes?

True.  But consider:

1. You cannot write to a CD-ROM.
2. Very large hard drives are dropping in price fast.
3. Prices on WORM drives are also dropping.
4. New technology around 5 years away will potentially wipe not only
the CD-ROM, but WORM and hard drives.  (Anyone else hear about the
hologram-based technology which the Bandido mentioned?  1,000
Gigabytes, access in the nanoseconds, writable, etc.)  Of course, it
will take a few years for this technology to reduce in price to grab
the lion's share.  But, if it can even come close to what it sounds
like, it *will* take over.

I just think that the CD-ROM is fated.  Mainly since you cannot write
to them.  But, if the price drops *significantly*, then it may sell
enough to keep it around for a while.

std. disclaimer.
-Rich

--
  // Rich    | "If there is nothing wrong with me, then maybe there is
\X/  Andrews |  something wrong with the universe."  - Beverly (STTNG)

In article <Dec.19.22.32.44.1990.522@steely.rutgers.edu> andrewsr@steely.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:

>I just think that the CD-ROM is fated.  Mainly since you cannot write
>to them.  But, if the price drops *significantly*, then it may sell
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>enough to keep it around for a while.

The last figure I heard was $2 for a CD in mass production. (Or was
it 2 DM which would be 1$30?) So this is very similar to the price
of a floppy or of the rest of the packaging. In my eyes this is
"significantly low" in price.

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/21/90)

In article <9Baeu1w163w@kennels.actrix.gen.nz> sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) writes:
>ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>I think CD-Rom could definitely slow down piracy. Of course, this is
>assuming that there aren't people in the world with the capability
>to copy CD's to other CD's... However this is not home piracy but
>commercial piracy of course.

I believe that commercial piracy will grow explosively if we ever manage to
make a copy protection that normal hackers can't crack.

>Again, one of the best anti-pirate devices I saw was on Shadow of the
>Unicorn for the Spectrum. It was a dongle with additional RAM and a
>joystick port. Basically you had to have the dongle before you COULD play
>the game! (It's a pity that the game was a flop... :-)

If I recall correctly the protection device added a bit to the price.
Was it 50% more expensive than similar games?

The most interesting with this discussions is seeing how wrong we where when
we can see the results.

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?